Scratched!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Scratched!

I was running a bunch of errands yesterday, and decided to stop and get the oil change (The diagnostic meter was at 20%) and get the 40K service. When I dropped it off and talked to the tech, he did a walkaround to note any damage, and noticed a scratch the length of my first finger on the tailgate. Something I hadn't noticed and was new, since it wasn't there last Friday. I was horrified to say the least! I had a small dent on my drivers side door for about a year, and that was noted to.

Anyway, since it was in for it's 40K checkup and oil change anyway, they gave me an estimate on repairing said scratch on the liftgate. A measely $411 dollars! Seems they want to repaint the entire liftgate, remove the badging and reapply it when they're done, etc. All for a scratch the length of my first finger and the width of a fingernail clipping!

After getting my color code, I went to Murray's (Auto Parts store) and picked up a bottle of Duplicolor Scratchfix 2 in 1, Ford CX (Dark Shadow Gray Metallic) paint, and used it to paint over the scratch. I'm going to add the clearcoat today (Since it's been 24 hours tonight), but it looks like it did the trick, while it may not look completely invisible (or invisible yet), it's good enough for me.

The scratch is in a rather odd location, on the liftgate, near immediately right of the license plate about in the middle of the plate heightwise. I'm wondering if someone nudged back into me as they were backing out or if during the recent tornodoey storm it got whacked with a branch or what...

Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scratched!

Meguiars makes flat ceramic bricks for touchup sanding in a number of really fine grits.

They will let you fill the scratch and then get the spot flat before you clearcoat.

I saw a porsche that had had all the stone bruises taken off the front of the car in this manner and the results were nearly impossible to find on a black carr.

MM

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
After getting my color code, I went to Murray's (Auto Parts store) and picked up a bottle of Duplicolor Scratchfix 2 in 1, Ford CX (Dark Shadow Gray Metallic) paint, and used it to paint over the scratch. .... while it may not look completely invisible (or invisible yet), it's good enough for me...
Ouch, we got a Gouge on our 08 FEH a few weeks ago. It happened at the ballpark, where our grandson plays. It's a foot above the right rear wheel, and dug right into the paint, to the surface, and slightly dented. I called my salesman, and he ordered a small tube of touch-up paint from Ford, and didn't even want to charge me for it (his cost was $6.00).

Anyway, after several repeated coates, it did a pretty nice job of making it look presentable. I'm sorry, but the FEH will have to live with it that way. I hated to have it happen, but that's the way it goes sometimes. After all, the hundreds of $$$ it would take to fix it would buy a little bit of gas at today's prices

Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast

I got a softball-sized dent on the front right fender with the paint scratched down to the surface (i'm thinking a metal shopping cart?)

The charge at the body shop was $250 to pop, fill, sand and paint it. You can't tell it was ever there.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

I top coated/Clearcoated it after 24 hours, and when I visited my parents, they couldn't find the scratch, even though they had seen it when it was scratched. If the light is just right, you can see a difference in the paint, but for the most part, it's invisible enough for me! Total cost: $12. (One Ford CX, One Top Coat/Clearcoat)