Service Brake System warning ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Service Brake System warning ???

The Service Brake System warning came on. Any thoughts what this might be from? I just replaced all the rotors and pads. I have a FWD '07.

If anyone has had this happened, what were the costs associated with the problem and what parts were needed?

I used the SG to scan for trouble codes and it was neg. There are no brake light warnings on the dash.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 09-15-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Brake System warning ???

I brought the car to the dealership and they found the tone ring on the right side was cracked. The crack affects the ABS sensor which resulted in the stutter/skip/shudder I felt prior to doing the brakes and since doing the brakes. One more thing to look for when doing brakes. So the tone ring also, as it was explained to me, was causing the ABS to send a message to Service Brake System alert. The dealer also found codes that were set that he has no info on. I asked him to write down the codes, hopefully when I pick the veh up tomorrow he'll have them. He also mentioned that he found the error code for the Blend Door and re-flashed the puter.

I have to thank everyone that pointed me in the right direction for DTC code for the Blend Door and the TSB concerning repair. That's what makes this forum and those that post so great. The money I saved on the Blend Door install is going towards the repair of the tone ring. I figure I broke even, kind of.

These are the only problems I've had with the Escape Hybrid and hopefully the last. I'll know more tomorrow.

Previously I attributed problems to the Blend Door and worn brakes (which they were and would have needed replacement).

Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lone Ranger, did you see the tone ring discussion at the end of this thread?
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...43/#post227515

Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Service Brake System warning ???

Hi! Lone Ranger

Do you have any update on this issue? I have a FEH 2005 FWD and I get the same message with the brake warning light i.e. the red icon on the dashboard. I do not see any ABS messages and nor do I notice any problems with braking.

The brakes were serviced in September and it cost me an additional $90 just to have a Ford dealer inspect them and supposedly "Reset the Computer". The mech. said that there were no error codes with the ABS system and everything was fine.

But, yesterday while driving I received the same message

Please help

Thanks
Anish

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I brought the car to the dealership and they found the tone ring on the right side was cracked. The crack affects the ABS sensor which resulted in the stutter/skip/shudder I felt prior to doing the brakes and since doing the brakes. One more thing to look for when doing brakes. So the tone ring also, as it was explained to me, was causing the ABS to send a message to Service Brake System alert. The dealer also found codes that were set that he has no info on. I asked him to write down the codes, hopefully when I pick the veh up tomorrow he'll have them. He also mentioned that he found the error code for the Blend Door and re-flashed the puter.

I have to thank everyone that pointed me in the right direction for DTC code for the Blend Door and the TSB concerning repair. That's what makes this forum and those that post so great. The money I saved on the Blend Door install is going towards the repair of the tone ring. I figure I broke even, kind of.

These are the only problems I've had with the Escape Hybrid and hopefully the last. I'll know more tomorrow.

Previously I attributed problems to the Blend Door and worn brakes (which they were and would have needed replacement).

Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by anish_s

Please help

Thanks
Anish
The tone ring can crack at any time. You can inspect it yourself. It is behind the brake shield and just outboard of the CV joint. It looks like a gear about 3 inches in diameter. It may even be loose - it you can rotate it, it is broken.

Last edited by travelover; 11-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Service Brake System warning ???

Thanks Travelover.....I will check my tone rings...
So, assuming that the tone ring is cracked/broken....is it safe to drive?
I have about 94,000kms (60,000 miles) approx

Regards
Anish

Originally Posted by travelover
The tone ring can crack at any time. You can inspect it yourself. It is behind the brake shield and just outboard of the CV joint. It looks like a gear about 3 inches in diameter. It may even been loose - it you can rotate it, it is broken.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by anish_s
Thanks Travelover.....I will check my tone rings...
So, assuming that the tone ring is cracked/broken....is it safe to drive?
I have about 94,000kms (60,000 miles) approx

Regards
Anish
You will have brakes, but the ABS won't work properly.