service brakes alert message

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: service brakes alert message

Originally Posted by gpsman1
ABS flashes anytime ABS is in use.
Perhaps only on '05 and newer Escapes. Or, only the hybrid versions. My '04 doesn't flash the ABS light at all. I've "checked" the ABS on my '04 several times when it snowed up in Flagstaff a few weekends ago. ABS worked well, and light never flashed.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fired_up
Thanks, no I'm not aware of any slipping recently. Despite a cold winter, I haven't had much chance to feel safe with my 4x4! Anyway, I dropped the FEH off at a Ford dealer last Thursday on my way out of town. Seemed as good a time as any for them to work on it. From what I understand, there was a failure somewhere in a hydraulic part on the brakes. So, it really was a problem! The part is on "emergency backorder" with no ETA for when the dealer will be able to fix it. They said it's the first of these issues they've seen, but then again there aren't a lot of the FEHs on the road around here. Anyway, Should anyone continue to be interested, when it is truly fixed and I know better the exact part and issue, I'll post what I find out.
I had the same issue last December and I also had the same part fail. Only when mine failed, the only way to recharge the 300V battery was to force the engine to run constantly. The regenerative brakes wouldn't charge the battery. I called my Ford Dealership and they said I could drop it off that night if I wanted and they would look at it the next day, so I did. Once they found the problem, it also took them a few days to get the part in since it had to come from Detroit (they said.) Although part of my 10 wait before I got my FEH back was also due to weather (since they day htey were going to work on it we had gotten a huge snow storm.)

Rich

Old 04-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Perhaps only on '05 and newer Escapes. Or, only the hybrid versions. My '04 doesn't flash the ABS light at all. I've "checked" the ABS on my '04 several times when it snowed up in Flagstaff a few weekends ago. ABS worked well, and light never flashed.
Right after I first purchased my 05 FEH, I helped a friend move. We ended up coming to an unexpected stop. Needless to say my ABS kicked, but my ABS light didn't come on or flash. I think if the ABS light comes on, it indicates there is a problem in the system. The only light that has ever flashed was the traction control light when I took off from a dead stop trying to force my tires to spin (trying to see how it made the 4wd system kick in.) The only other time any lights had lit up were when I had that problem with the hydraulic part mentioned earlier.

Rich

Old 04-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Hmmm..... I have a 2x4 so maybe my ABS light flashes in leiu of the traction control lamp that flashes in a 4x4?????

I'll be hard pressed to find any ice for the next 6 or 7 months, so hard to test now, but something was flashing when I stopped hard on ice, and I'm 98% sure it was the ABS light.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

I am new to the site but have been curios about others with brake problems and to what extent. Appears my 2006 Escape had the same experience at 2200 miles. ABS light wnet on and brakes went to floor- no braking power. Same parts were replaced and everything has been fine since.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

This is interesting. I think I was the first FEH poster here that had what I then termed a "major brake malfunction" (had to have the ABS control unit replaced around the end of November 2005, not sure what the mileage was but I'd purchased the FEH new in April 2005). It now seems that we've accumulated three or four people who have had similar problems.

I'd imagine (hope?) that Ford will be taking a good look at this in an attempt to fix it in the '07. Now when those have been out for a while we can see if they succeeded. It is really great to have this forum to exchange data and experiences - without it, I would never have known that mine was not simply an isolated problem. Now I (and anyone who is thinking about buying a FEH) can be aware that there does, indeed, seem to be a weakness in that particular system.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I've been having this too. I got mine back from the dealer today after waiting a few days for the part to arrive. They replaced a wiring harness connecting to the master cylinder, and said the connector would not stay latched.

If I drove it more than 30 minutes and then restarted within 30 minutes, I got the Service brakes message and twice the ABS light. I also got the Service Brakes message twice while driving, not even braking. The light came on after hitting a small bump each time, so it very well could have been a loose connector problem. All of this started after getting the rear brake squeak fixed.

Don't know for sure yet that this fixed my troubles, but be sure to ask about the wiring if it looks like you're going to get the ABS control unit replaced.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

From SweetBeet: "This is interesting. I think I was the first FEH poster here that had what I then termed a "major brake malfunction" (had to have the ABS control unit replaced around the end of November 2005, not sure what the mileage was but I'd purchased the FEH new in April 2005). It now seems that we've accumulated three or four people who have had similar problems."

Sweetbeet, I think this is interesting as well. I purchased my FEH in August 2005. My FEH had a build date of 03/05. If your FEH was built around the same time, maybe Ford got a shipment of bad parts. I'd have to check my paperwork when I get home to find out when it happened and at what mileage.
Rich

Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast

I also have had problems with the brakes. I was driveing about 40mph and came up to a Red Light aplied the brakes and they failed. The pedal went right to the floor. The ABS and Brake light both came on and the service brake system warning came up. I was able to stop but needed alot of space. I was close to home so drove it there very slowly. The lights stayed on and the brake system did not work all the way home about 15 mins. Got home and had it towed to dealer. They got and the brakes were working and found no error codes in the computer. After about 3 days they replaced the ECU and HCU hopping this would fix the problem but are not sure. One week has passed so far so good.