shutting off at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: shutting off at idle

Gotcha. That's a definite problem. Check out fordvehicles.com and do an advanced dealer search, that will allow you to find a hybrid-certified dealership near you. These vehicles are very different and require specific training for the technicians to be able to work on them (and to at least know what is and isn't normal behavior).

Be aware that the dealers know little to nothing about the hybrids, so you'll often have to set them straight.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Randy. Yeah, as far as hybrids go, the dealer and the service dept are often the last to know. I will search the area for Certified Tech. Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi,

Please forgive me if I am being obtuse, but I'd appreciate it if you can answer the following question:

When driving the car and the ICE shuts down when idling, the following happens when you push HARD on the gas:

A: The car always stays in electric drive even if you push HARD on the gas and continues to drive in electric mode until the battery dies, or you put it into park, and use the key to restart the ICE.

B: The car sometimes stays in electric drive even if you push HARD on the gas and continues to drive in electric mode until the battery dies, or you put it into park, and use the key to restart the ICE. Other times, the ICE starts automatically when you push HARD on the gas and drives normally.

C: The car does not move at all once the ICE has shut down, and you have to use the key to restart before you drive it again.

D: The ICE always starts automatically when you push HARD on the gas and the car moves normally.

If your answer is either A, B or C, you have a problem. If it is D, this is normal operation. It sounds like you are experencing B, but your description is unfortunaltely vague in how you describe the failiure so it is hard to tell if you are describinga failure or normal operation in a rounabout way.

Good luck,

rcomeau

Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Hi,

Please forgive me if I am being obtuse, but I'd appreciate it if you can answer the following question:

When driving the car and the ICE shuts down when idling, the following happens when you push HARD on the gas:

A: The car always stays in electric drive even if you push HARD on the gas and continues to drive in electric mode until the battery dies, or you put it into park, and use the key to restart the ICE.

B: The car sometimes stays in electric drive even if you push HARD on the gas and continues to drive in electric mode until the battery dies, or you put it into park, and use the key to restart the ICE. Other times, the ICE starts automatically when you push HARD on the gas and drives normally.

C: The car does not move at all once the ICE has shut down, and you have to use the key to restart before you drive it again.

D: The ICE always starts automatically when you push HARD on the gas and the car moves normally.

If your answer is either A, B or C, you have a problem. If it is D, this is normal operation. It sounds like you are experencing B, but your description is unfortunaltely vague in how you describe the failiure so it is hard to tell if you are describinga failure or normal operation in a rounabout way.

Good luck,

rcomeau
Jerry has already said he is experiencing "C" under 20mph!

GaryG

Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is the car icon on the dash near the PRNDL still on or off when you say it dies? If it is still on and its not moving when trying to press the pedal, then something is way wrong (wrong enough that it SHOULD be showing a CEL - check engine light, or the STOP now warning)

Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just a thought... Did you check the battery switch in the back? I wonder if they either forgot to turn it, or didn't turn it all the way?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Jerry has already said he is experiencing "C" under 20mph!

GaryG
Actually, he did not. He mentioned that he can drive in stop and go traffic most of the day with no problem. Was that using ICE all the time, or was it switching from ICE to EV like one would expect? Also, I was not asking how it behaved under 20MPH as this is the heart of the ambiguity I was getting at. Is he stuck at 20MPH, or was he deliberately staying below 20MPH for some reason? It was never clearly stated that he tried giving it more gas and the ICE would not come on. All the other posts asking the same questions (with different wordings) were to try to clarify that ambiguity. If he gave it more gas, was the speed limited to what the EV would provide (because the ICE would not start up) or was he just being light on the gas and giving up?

I don't want answer A, B, C or D below 20MPH, I am not interesed in the speed. I want A, B, C or D after pressing HARD enough on the pedal to normally force the ICE to kick in. That will clarify if there is a problem or not.

Roch

Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Actually, he did not. He mentioned that he can drive in stop and go traffic most of the day with no problem. Was that using ICE all the time, or was it switching from ICE to EV like one would expect? Also, I was not asking how it behaved under 20MPH as this is the heart of the ambiguity I was getting at. Is he stuck at 20MPH, or was he deliberately staying below 20MPH for some reason? It was never clearly stated that he tried giving it more gas and the ICE would not come on. All the other posts asking the same questions (with different wordings) were to try to clarify that ambiguity. If he gave it more gas, was the speed limited to what the EV would provide (because the ICE would not start up) or was he just being light on the gas and giving up?

I don't want answer A, B, C or D below 20MPH, I am not interesed in the speed. I want A, B, C or D after pressing HARD enough on the pedal to normally force the ICE to kick in. That will clarify if there is a problem or not.

Roch
Roch, we've tried to understand, and it is true, Jerry has comunication problems. Jerry..... get Natalie on the board so we can help you both. Can she type in clear english?

"Randy. It is in full battery mode and dies requiring rekey to restart. I drive it and when I come to a complete stop (under 20mph in parking lot to wait to merge onto main road) it stops requiring rekey to restart. Once I am on the main road and the ICE kicks on and off during normal rush hour driving it is fine until the following morning wherein I repeat aforementioned process. The weather here has been perfect Florida weather the last few days, 58 at night and 80 in the day so I rule out cold weather as the culprit.

Jason. Yes, I like black & red. All my vehicles have been one or the other with the exception of my white '97 5.0 Mustang which looked exactly like the cop cars we had here back then. I loved driving through traffic and watching all the brake lights go off in front of me!"

Roch, this is crazy and I agree!

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 03-08-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I took "It is in full battery mode and dies" to mean that he's not referring to the ICE dying, but that the whole system (with ICE already off) cuts out. Still not perfectly clear, but I think we've established that it's not just the normal ICE-off state that he's referring to.

... though I'd certainly welcome a detailed description of what happens when he tries to drive it in this state.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Mustang's last year with a (widely available) 5.0 was 1995.

Good luck Jerry- it sounds like you do have a problem because you've indicated "Once I am on the main road and the ICE kicks on and off during normal rush hour driving". So it would seem your vehicle is capable of running on either gas or electricity, just not in the mornings for some reason. I bet if the dealer flashed your PCM you'd be in good shape.

Quick Reply: shutting off at idle

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands