So Long...Non-hybrid purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So Long...Non-hybrid purchase

dohearne,

Congrats on your PZEV !

"hybrid" Subaru/Prius families are possible -- like mine

Oddly enough, I was driving our Subaru two days ago, and had the engine die while driving. This is I think the fourth time it has happened in this '96 Impreza outback. All I had to do was pull over and restart, so it is not a big deal, but it does relegate the car to errands in the city, off highways. And it makes my wife hesitate to take it, so I get less Prius time ..

I second the hope that you continue to post your new car's mpg in the database. I have not kept close records of the Impreza, but the couple of times we checked over a couple of tanks we came up with about 24 mpg. It would be great to hear that Subaru has improved in this regard over time.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think you will like the Outback, but did you look at fueleconomy.gov to see the greehouse gas emissions comparisons? Having owned Subarus for the past 11 years, I can tell you they are not really the same car as the FEH in seating and fwd capability. The Ford has a cheaper interior feel in many areas, but seems to beat any Outback in greenhouse gas emissions and is nearly the same price. Hope you come back. I have less hope that Subaru will catch up, as they are a pretty small company in my book.

Old 07-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dknapp
I think you will like the Outback, but did you look at fueleconomy.gov to see the greehouse gas emissions comparisons?
dknapp,

Thank-you for your reply. WRT your question, yes I did consult the government numbers on greenhouse gas emissions and the Escape numbers are notably better than the Outback. However, because I live in a rural and cold area the gap between the Escape and the Outback is less than it would be in other areas. Under my normal driving conditions it looks like my gas mileage may settle in between 25-26 mpg which would imply 10-15% higher greenhouse gas emissions for the Outback. My other priorities were: under $30K, safety, winter serviceability, and predicted reliabilty. The Outback is equal or superior in all categories and assuming the Escape could be had for MSRP, my Outback was still $3K less. With respect to ride comfort and AWD/FWD I think it is a push. To be honest, I still was prone to go with the Escape until I was confronted with the price gouging from Ford dealers. Currently, I am visiting my son in Alexandria and I have quickly learned that I would purchase a hybrid for sure here, as my gas mileage in stop and go traffic has plummeted to 20-21 mpg.

Dave

Old 07-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Having owned Subarus for the past 11 years, I can tell you they are not really the same car as the FEH in seating and fwd capability. The Ford has a cheaper interior feel in many areas, but seems to beat any Outback in greenhouse gas emissions and is nearly the same price. Hope you come back. I have less hope that Subaru will catch up, as they are a pretty small company in my book.
I think Subaru will do OK. GM has a large stake in Subaru, and technology sharing isn't out of the question. I still own a 98 outback sport that I barely drive.
I'd put the Escape in the same catogory as the Outback. It doesn't have the low range necessary for slow, high torque manuevers, just like the Subaru.
I rented a V6 escape last year in L.A. and I liked it. I was interested as well in the escape hybrid until I saw the dealer mark-ups. Good little truck.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Four years ago, when I learned of Subaru's connections and dependency to GM, I wrote them off as a company that would prosper, or one that I would be interested in buying from again. Specifically, around 2000 or 2001, I wrote and asked them what their plans for hybrids and greener cars was. They answered the equivalent of "we are lockstep with GM".

-- From an individual who is part of a multi-generational family of Subaru owners.