SOC was at 27% this morning... Because of SGII?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default SOC was at 27% this morning... Because of SGII?

I have been running an Aeroforcetech ScanGauge since February, without any issues. I just purchased a ScanGaugeII from cleanmpg.com and spent a half hour mounting and programming it (Although I thought it would be pre-programmed with the FEH stuff...) During that time, my ignition was on.

Once I was all done, my SOC dropped to 35%. I've never seen it that low.

This morning when I started it, my SOC had dropped to 27.4%. The engine immediately raced to 2,500 rpm's.

Do you think the SGII drained the battery, which I doubt, or coincidentally did a maintenance cycle decide to drain it since it was already at 34% when I turned the ignition off.

I know a Maintenance cycle will let the SOC get really high, I just didn't know if it also went really low.

Thoughts?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Default Re: SOC was at 27% this morning... Because of SGII?

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
I have been running an Aeroforcetech ScanGauge since February, without any issues. I just purchased a ScanGaugeII from cleanmpg.com and spent a half hour mounting and programming it (Although I thought it would be pre-programmed with the FEH stuff...) During that time, my ignition was on.

Once I was all done, my SOC dropped to 35%. I've never seen it that low.

This morning when I started it, my SOC had dropped to 27.4%. The engine immediately raced to 2,500 rpm's.

Do you think the SGII drained the battery, which I doubt, or coincidentally did a maintenance cycle decide to drain it since it was already at 34% when I turned the ignition off.

I know a Maintenance cycle will let the SOC get really high, I just didn't know if it also went really low.

Thoughts?
Hi Dave

When you leave your Key in the run position, the coolant pump and other accessories drain the 12V battery and can drain the HV battery. I suspect your 12V needed a big recharge the morning you started your FEH and it took it from your HV battery and brought it from 35% down to 27.4%.

When you make window, seat and other adjustments before starting your FEH, there is an accessories Key position just before the run position you can use to limit the amount of battery drain the pumps and modules will use.

Everything sounds normal for what you may have done. You can program your SGII many times with a standard 9V battery as I watch Ron Delong (SGII inventor) do at the '07 Hybridfest show in Madison WI.

BTW, I just filled-up my '09 FEH and hit a record 65mpg tank on E10! That is 200% of combined EPA (32.5mpg). It was 92F today but she held on till I got to the gas pump.

GaryG

Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice Gary! It is FINALLY warming up here in Calgary and its so nice to go into EV almost immediately. Still need to invest in a SGII. Put a K&N air filter in yesterday and have already noticed that the MPG has increased (I use a garmin ecoroute hd connected to my GPS at the moment), yay!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Dave

When you leave your Key in the run position, the coolant pump and other accessories drain the 12V battery and can drain the HV battery. I suspect your 12V needed a big recharge the morning you started your FEH and it took it from your HV battery and brought it from 35% down to 27.4%.

When you make window, seat and other adjustments before starting your FEH, there is an accessories Key position just before the run position you can use to limit the amount of battery drain the pumps and modules will use.

Everything sounds normal for what you may have done. You can program your SGII many times with a standard 9V battery as I watch Ron Delong (SGII inventor) do at the '07 Hybridfest show in Madison WI.

BTW, I just filled-up my '09 FEH and hit a record 65mpg tank on E10! That is 200% of combined EPA (32.5mpg). It was 92F today but she held on till I got to the gas pump.

GaryG
That's awesome. I gotta be able to break 50 MPG!

Does the 330v battery replenish the 12v battery when the car is off? It was immediately at 27% when I started up this morning.

The only other thing I noticed was a humming/motor running noise coming from under the hood while I was sitting in run mode programming the ScanGauge. Sometimes I hear that, sometimes I don't.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
That's awesome. I gotta be able to break 50 MPG!

Does the 330v battery replenish the 12v battery when the car is off? It was immediately at 27% when I started up this morning.

The only other thing I noticed was a humming/motor running noise coming from under the hood while I was sitting in run mode programming the ScanGauge. Sometimes I hear that, sometimes I don't.
If the HV replenished the 12V battery with the Key-Off, a short in the 12V system would kill both batteries. The 12V battery must have enough juice to kick the relay to start the engine with with the HV battery. I see a quick draw down of the HV battery the longer my FEH sits without being started. The computer must wait till the engine starts before it dumps a fast charge to the 12V battery and system.

I've noticed a new threshold in the '09 FEH that power is reduced as the HV battery gets closer to 32% SoC and is programmed to stop discharging the HV battery at 32% without the engine running and MG1 providing charging. I've seen this twice after running out of gas in my '09 FEH. This may be the fail safe system that replaced the jumpstart switch in the '08, '07, '06 and '05 FEH models. My '05 FEH went over 40mph on I-95 in EV when I ran out of gas and the HV battery was still draining below 32% SoC. My '09 stopped moving in EV at exactly 32% SoC, but I just made it to a gas pump which was okay.

GaryG