Squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Enthusiast
Question Squealing brakes

After the heavy rains in Southern California, both of our hybrids started to have squealing brakes. The 05 FEH FWD has 14k miles and the 06 FEH FWD has 5k miles. The 05 has been in the rain before, the first time for the 06.

Took both into the dealership to find out the problem and the resolution was new pads for both. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Happy Owner
Default Re: Squealing brakes

We have had a squealing of the brakes for about 10 seconds if the FEH was parked with wet brakes, but it goes away as soon as the brake dries off from use.
We also get a squeeking sound between 15 and 40 mph for 10 to 20 minutes. First time it happened, took it to the dealer, they said there was dust on the brake and they used the air hose to blow them clean. (that was in April 05). Then, after the rains of October, we started to hear it again. It's not constant; there one day and not again for a week or two. It has always been on a dry day that we get the squeek. Now that we've got snow on the ground I haven't heard it.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:56 AM
World's First Hybrid

I've had this problem with all of my cars that have front disks and also 4 wheel disks. If you get moisture or rain/snow etc and leave the car parked for many hours overnight for example, the brake rotors will develop a very light patchwork of rust/oxydation. When you first apply the brakes you will hear a squeeling noise or a grinding noise, which is the thin layer of rust/oxydation being rubbed off the rotors by the pads. Should go away after a few applications of the brakes. If it doesn't, it means that the pads have been glazed by excessive heat/braking during break-in etc and the only cure, I believe, is to have the pads replaced and possibly the rotors turned. Which of course, means you have to break them in again---no hard stops etc...

My maxima brakes used to make a very loud noise after rain or after getting wet until the heat dried them out.

And also, if the pads are excessively worn, they will chirp each time you apply the brakes to let you know its time to have them changed.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Ines, Scott & Others,

I have had not so much a 'Squealing' sound but more of a 'Grinding' or just 'Rough Sound' whenever the rotors and/or pads get wet. This happens every time I wash the car or if it is raining and hit a deep puddle of water that will get the brake assembly wet.

Like 'Gas Pirates' said - mine only last for a few minutes of use then it is back to normal. I think it is a combination of moisture and what Ralph said that you develop some rust/oxidation (especially on the rotor) and that just has to be wore away by say light pressure to the brakes - just enough to make contact but not to really slow you down.

I might say in your case with the heavy rains, that the brakes are already hot and when they get wet this rust/oxidation happens quicker (dries on the rotor faster) and to you it seems to be a persistent problem. Probably if you were to, after cleaning off the rust/oxidation, all of a sudden hit a dry area that it would not return.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 01-07-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: edited
Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Its a completely normal characteristic of disc brakes that get wet- the others are completely correct- a thin layer of rust/oxidation forms that needs to be 'scraped off' when the brakes are next used. Some particular brands are more or less rusty than others.

It also makes sense that those from drier climates might be alarmed by it, not getting to hear it often.

Similarly, a PhD engineer I worked with once called his dealer in a panic after washing his car and seeing 'smoke coming from the brakes'... never even crossed his mind that it was simply hot brakes boiling off water from the spraydown.

So don't worry- you are in good company!

Old 01-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also keep in mind that depending on how you drive, the disc brakes may almost never deploy except at very low speeds. So, while other cars are constantly wearing away any buildup on the discs, the FEH is not, and the squeaking may take longer to overcome (or you may have to intentionally do some hard braking to engage the disc brakes).

Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

I've noticed this twice in my 2006 model and I haven't had any moisture problems. I "cured" it by applying the emergency brake briefly and it went away. I'm wondering if perhaps the calipers might be sticking slightly. I intend to bring this up when I take it in for my first oil change an filter. It really shouldn't be doing this, although I don't believe it is a serious matter. Disks are different from drum brakes in that the pads are always in slight contact with the disks unlike drum brakes which retract and there is no contact. If it were serious enough, it could warp the disks. Shouldn't be assumed to be normal.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randykato
Also keep in mind that depending on how you drive, the disc brakes may almost never deploy except at very low speeds. So, while other cars are constantly wearing away any buildup on the discs, the FEH is not, and the squeaking may take longer to overcome (or you may have to intentionally do some hard braking to engage the disc brakes).
Thanks Randy for putting that in,

I had meant to put that in my post but forgot. You are exactly right – on most other cars (at least the ones I know of) the pads are barely touching the rotor at all times which would dry/clean them before any build-up. Not so on the FEH – trying to get the best rolling efficiency. I am not even sure if they actually touch when you barely touch the brakes enough to show ‘Brake Regeneration”