Supplemental heater in the Escape/Mariner Hybrids????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Supplemental heater in the Escape/Mariner Hybrids????

Picking nits but...

Your actual wording was/is....

"It dumps a small amount of heated air mixture back in the intake manifold on the combustion stroke."

First, I was trying to correct your statement that it was the COMBUSTION stroke wherein A/F mixture is dumped (pushed) back into the intake manifold when actually it is done during the compression stroke. And since you mistakenly said combustion stroke, were that true, then ordinarily the A/F mixture would have been heated by compression.

So I went overboard, sorry.

And..

If it is so greatly desireable to have warmer airflow for FE during part throttle then do you mean to imply that all these folks modifying the intake path with "cold air boxes" are just wasting their money?

If a warmer airflow were to be desireable for FE that why would the manufacturing companies be making such an obvious effort to place airflow intake upstream of the radiator? Under your theory the engine airflow intake should be downstream of the condensor/radiator assembly.

Last edited by wwest; 11-21-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Picking nits but...

Your actual wording was/is....

"It dumps a small amount of heated air mixture back in the intake manifold on the combustion stroke."

First, I was trying to correct your statement that it was the COMBUSTION stroke wherein A/F mixture is dumped (pushed) back into the intake manifold when actually it is done during the compression stroke. And since you mistakenly said combustion stroke, were that true, then ordinarily the A/F mixture would have been heated by compression.

So I went overboard, sorry.

It doesn't matter, the A/F mixture is pushed out before the combustion stoke and or compression stroke, they are the same.

And..

If it is so greatly desireable to have warmer airflow for FE during part throttle then do you mean to imply that all these folks modifying the intake path with "cold air boxes" are just wasting their money?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Colder air expands more and gives you a bit more compression. In my racing days when FE was not the goal, I wanted as much cold air as possible.

If a warmer airflow were to be desireable for FE that why would the manufacturing companies be making such an obvious effort to place airflow intake upstream of the radiator? Under your theory the engine airflow intake should be downstream of the condensor/radiator assembly.
My guess is, the manufacturing companies feel the heat has its limitations also. On hot days, taking heated air could lower compression in the cylinders, further causing lower horsepower.

If I'm not mistaken, the goal here on GH is to save gas and lower emissions. With that goal in mine, I think I do a pretty good job with the FEH. In my racing days, I also did a pretty good job of watching my competition in the rearview mirror. FE is not about competition, it's about saving our planet. Good luck Willard!

GaryG

Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Speaking of....

Why do all of these systems run the A/C all year around?

Why not improve FE by disabling the A/C compressor anytime the OAT is consistently below the setpoint you have chosen, set, for your own comfort level?

In prior years I simply disconnected the compressor clutch connections once the weather/climate was consistently cooler than my comfort level or setpoint, 72F. My 2001 RX300 has a c-best option that allows me to disable the A/C compressor indefintely and yet another c-best option to unlink the A/C from operating automatically in defrost/defog/demist mode.

When I need the cooling aspects of the A/C I increase the overall FE by setting the A/C to MAXImum cooling and then using the blower speed to maintain my comfort level. Avoiding the reheat/remix path results in a much lower duty-cycle of the A/C compressor.

Last edited by wwest; 11-22-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:06 PM

I don't know, can't say, about later Prius models but after purchasing the repair/shop manuals for our 2003 I discovered that the supplimental heater is in the windshield airflow path only, and additionally is not installed in US cars, only Canadian.