Temporary Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Temporary Storage?

I parked my 05 for about 10 days 2 weeks ago and when i returned home it would not start, no lights, had to open with the key, i tried the jump start procedure but the 12v battery must have been dead, put a jumper box on the 12v and it came to life, started right up. I think thats pretty short time to drain the battery. Its supposed to be a newer battery, when we bought it, it had a problem and we were told they replaced the battery that was a year ago. what do you guys or girls think could cause such a fast discharge?? thanks

Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
I parked my 05 for about 10 days 2 weeks ago and when i returned home it would not start, no lights, had to open with the key, i tried the jump start procedure but the 12v battery must have been dead, put a jumper box on the 12v and it came to life, started right up. I think thats pretty short time to drain the battery. Its supposed to be a newer battery, when we bought it, it had a problem and we were told they replaced the battery that was a year ago. what do you guys or girls think could cause such a fast discharge?? thanks
They had a problem with the first battery and replaced it... now it needed another...well... it makes you wonder: Did they check to ensure the charging system was working? And in this car the "Charging System" isn't standard.... it works off the energy of the generator and steps down to 14V or so. So if they checked it, did they know what they were doing?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

the problem with the battery was supposedly due to a bad electronic throttle body. I had the wrench light andshut down, dealer found problem and replaced throttle body and battery, not sure what else but havent had any problems for about a year. about as long as ive had it. i just figure the 12v battery is only a year old so it should last longer than 10 days without starting. the vehicle runs great and we love it just curious as what could have killed the 12v battery in that short of time. thanks

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

When I park my 3+ year old car... the 12v battery drops about 1 volt in 25 days.

Not a huge deal, and it still starts, but that's more of a drop than I expected.
I'm not sure why that happens.
After 25 days sitting, my battery is about 11.5 or 11.6 volts.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
the problem with the battery was supposedly due to a bad electronic throttle body. I had the wrench light andshut down, dealer found problem and replaced throttle body and battery, not sure what else but havent had any problems for about a year. about as long as ive had it. i just figure the 12v battery is only a year old so it should last longer than 10 days without starting. the vehicle runs great and we love it just curious as what could have killed the 12v battery in that short of time. thanks
I agree... it doesn't seem normal, there isn't that much draw.. there is always some self discharge but that seems excessive.