Tire Pressure Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Problems

I dont find a procedure for programing more than 4 tires and I dont find any tire position specific codes. If you remove your spare does the problem go away?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Problems

I don't have the TPMS option.....but reading this thread makes me wonder....."this is the technology that our government is mandating onto our vehicles?"......how did we ever survive without it for so many years?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennb
I don't have the TPMS option.....but reading this thread makes me wonder....."this is the technology that our government is mandating onto our vehicles?"......how did we ever survive without it for so many years?
Not only is it mandated, but I have to pay Ford an additional "retraining" fee every time the tires are rotated or the system malfunctions and gives a false report. I personally think that Ford should be required to support this system without charge for at least the duration of the warranty.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't tried removing the spare to see if it makes the problem go away, but I still have the temporary and will swap them. I thought that one reason for the retraining was to get the TPS system to ignore sensors with codes that may be from other nearby cars and it should ignore the spare's signal. I also thought that they didn't transmit when not turning so there shouldn't be anything transmitted to confuse the system. I may be wrong about these assumptions, but removing the spare could be a way to find out.

It also sounds like the dealer wasn't telling me the truth when he said that there is no record in the OBD about the TPS alarm, but the message display had already cleared when I brought it in.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

We were losing 20 or 30 people a year due to low tires or so the guberment says.

The FEH system does not recognise the tire positions like some of the other systems (including Ford) have. So you only have to reprogram when you replace a sensor or the SJB, however there is no provision for more than 4 tire sensors. The tire sensors will send a signal every so often even if they are not turning so IF you have the spare mounted in its place on the car it will confuse the system. They really didnt want you to have a full size spare.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

he said that there is no record in the OBD about the TPS alarm
that would be true because it is not part of the OBDII system, it is part of the Smart Junction Box system.