Toyota/Ford Hybrid Development?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM
IMAddicted to IMA
Default Toyota/Ford Hybrid Development?

I have heard that Ford borrowed Toyota's hybrid technology, like Nissan did recently. I know however, that that isn't exactly how it went, but I don't know how it did go either.

From the Toyota pressroom:

" Is Ford using the Toyota hybrid system?

blah blah blah.......Toyota and Ford have entered into a licensing agreement allowing Ford to use technology that had been patented by Toyota...............blah blah "

Okay, so I shortened the "quote" a little bit. The rest was just a bunch of fancy talk like, "Toyota welcomes the introduction of the Escape hybrid," and all that.

Anyway, I am not sure exactly what this quote means.

I have heard from a good source (no, not the media) that Ford completely developed their own hybrid technology, and that it was a coincidence that their hybrid technologies were similar, and that Toyota simply did some legal something that meant that they acknowleged how similar their systems are, so they won't sue.

So, I don't know if this quote above means what I wrote above, or that Ford used Toyota's hybrid technology.

Someone help please.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota/Ford Hybrid Development?

Ford Motor Company uses no Toyota software or hardware in their hybrid vehicles. Period.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

https://www.greenhybrid.com/wiki/ind...ape_Hybrid_FAQ

13. Doesn't the Ford Escape Hybrid use Toyota Technology?

No! While the patent sharing that goes on between Ford and Toyota has been rather loudly announced on their hybrids, this isn't a case of Ford using Toyota technology or parts. Most of the auto companies share patents; an agreement that they won't sue each other for coming up with similar technologies. This is all that's going on. Each and every system in the FEH is both designed and built in America, all the engineers developed the systems on their own, not sharing, using, or building upon Toyota's work; it's entirely original.

Patent sharing is extremely common in the Auto Industry. Items like Seat Belts, safety systems, etc. are all similar and there probably isn't a single vehicle produced today that doesn't involve some patent sharing on some component in the vehicle.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It boils down to; there's only so many ways to "invent" a screwdriver.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
IMAddicted to IMA

Okay, thanks guys.

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
N/A

There is more detail available but it boils down to:

Toyota and Aisin initially developed it together. Toyota, as they often do, then took as much of the project in house as they could. They do not like to partner on these things. Aisin was left with rights and a partly developed product, so they hooked up with Volvo. Ford acquired the project with Volvo, saw potential, and finished it in their own way.

The shared component is the planetary gearset that acts a "power split device" between the various inputs and outputs. Almost everything else is different.

The patent sharing agreement is, as pointed out previously, a common thing in the car business. For this particular situation, Ford usually says little about it, while Toyota usually words it to say that they "allowed" Ford to use their patents. What's not mentioned is that Ford granted Toyota use of something they desperately needed in Europe, where they are way behind other makers: diesel patents.

It helps to understand how Toyota works in the rest of the world, as opposed to how they operate in North America. Most of their products sold here are for this market only. For example, the Camry is consistently a best seller here but no one else in the world buys them in any numbers.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mtberman
There is more detail available but it boils down to:

Toyota and Aisin initially developed it together. Toyota, as they often do, then took as much of the project in house as they could. They do not like to partner on these things. Aisin was left with rights and a partly developed product, so they hooked up with Volvo. Ford acquired the project with Volvo, saw potential, and finished it in their own way.

The shared component is the planetary gearset that acts a "power split device" between the various inputs and outputs. Almost everything else is different.

The patent sharing agreement is, as pointed out previously, a common thing in the car business. For this particular situation, Ford usually says little about it, while Toyota usually words it to say that they "allowed" Ford to use their patents. What's not mentioned is that Ford granted Toyota use of something they desperately needed in Europe, where they are way behind other makers: diesel patents.

It helps to understand how Toyota works in the rest of the world, as opposed to how they operate in North America. Most of their products sold here are for this market only. For example, the Camry is consistently a best seller here but no one else in the world buys them in any numbers.
I agree, here is a quote from an article:

"Rumor on the street is that Escape Hybrid is using the hybrid system out of Toyota’s Prius. This is absolutely false. Ford Motor Company developed and engineered the hybrid system and possesses 100 patents on the design. The Atkinson engine is an adaptation of the 2.3 Liter Duratec I 4 found in Ranger, Escape, and 2005 Focus. The eCVT is manufactured by Aisin AW specifically for Escape.
Of the 351 patents covering the hybrid drivetrain, Ford did feel compelled to pay license fees to Toyota on 21 of them. This was done simply to avoid any patent infringement controversies."
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/RT2005FordEscapeHybrid.htm

GaryG

Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"Toyota and Aisin initially developed it together. Toyota, as they often do, then took as much of the project in house as they could. They do not like to partner on these things. Aisin was left with rights and a partly developed product, so they hooked up with Volvo. Ford acquired the project with Volvo, saw potential, and finished it in their own way."

Aha, so they both have the same "roots" so to speak. That is why the systems operate similarly.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It boils down to; there's only so many ways to "invent" a screwdriver.
I use vodka and OJ. What do you use?