TPS Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default TPS Throttle Position Sensor

With this car being drive by wire, there are some interesting occurances.

In my Honda Insight, the TPS, or throttle position sensor value displayed on a SG is in direct relationship to foot position. If I hold my foot steady, the TPS remains steady. Not true in the FEH. Try it.

You can hold your foot as steady as possible, and the throttle will do "whatever" it wants, go up or down.

The right foot pedal in the FEH is a "torque pedal" and is not a throttle pedal.
The FEH can choose how to deliver that torque.

Towing over this week, I watched this a lot.
Sometimes, the RPM's would be 4500 and the TPS would be 28.
Sometimes, the RPM's would be 2400, and the TPS would be 64.

At no time, even with foot to the floor, would TPS exceed 69.
Is that 69% open throttle? Or 69 degrees on the throttle?
Or just a number?

Open loop is often an indicator of WOT or Wide Open Throttle.
I would notice while towing at highway speeds, Open Loop much of the time.
Not always, but often it would go "open" for about 7 seconds, and "closed" for about 3 seconds, repeat... on a regular basis. Almost like during the 3 seconds it was "checking" to make sure everything was OK.

Also, this "open loop" would occur at any RPM, and at various TPS values... not only 69 on the high side, but also in the 20's. I see open loop, and infer WOT under HEAVY LOAD conditions, which is not equal to high RPM conditions, or foot to the floor conditions.

During these conditions, the MAP, or Manifold Absolute Pressure would be at or near ambient conditions... little or no vacuum... which to me, indicates Wide Open conditions, even though the TPS value was low.

Any time the car was at high load, open loop, the MAP would be at or near ambient. But the TPS would be all over the place.

So this is a wierd beast. Due to the elec / gas mix and planetary gearset... lots of unsual, or at least, unintuitive (non-intuitive?) conditions present.

Also.... Whether the generator is less than 50, or moving 8000+ RPM.... the torque is relatively unchanged. Always in the 37 to 38 (value) which I think is Newton meters.

Final thing that has me confused....
Picture 60 MPH road speed.
If the generator is stationary, ( or say less than 50 RPM ) and is putting out 38 Nm, how can the current draw be zero ( or less than 1 amp ) as shown on the SG?

I saw that often. 38 Nm of torque on the generator, 0 amps in or out of the HV battery, and 0 ( or less than 1 ) Nm of torque on the traction motor... so where is the energy for the 38 Nm of torque coming from? Is this a candidate for the infamous "generator brake"?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TPS Throttle Position Sensor

You can't really compare it to an Insight, they have a completely different hybrid system. I use TPS as the primary means of upping my MPG.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Of Course the Insight is different. That's what I was pointing out.
Insight is drive by steel cable.
FEH is drive by (computer) wire.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Of Course the Insight is different. That's what I was pointing out.
Insight is drive by steel cable.
FEH is drive by (computer) wire.
Actually, I meant that the Insight has a belt driven CVT while the FEH has a planetary gearset eCVT - and that the Insight could not drive on electric only while the FEH can.

The reactions would be different even if both were drive-by-wire.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Actually, I meant that the Insight has a belt driven CVT while the FEH has a planetary gearset eCVT - and that the Insight could not drive on electric only while the FEH can.
Actually, I'm in a club of slightly more than 100 Insight owners with a hardware hack to allow EV only driving in the Gen I Insight. But that's off topic, as I was only pointing out the throttle control differences.

Look up MIMA if you are interested. MIMA allows:
A) to cut fuel to the engine in Neutral with all electronics active for "EV" coasting at any speed
B) to cut fuel with the car in gear, and use Electric assist for as long as the battery will hold out ( twice as many miles as the FEH ) at any speed

In some ways, this is more capable than the FEH. EV at 65 MPH for example.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Actually, I'm in a club of slightly more than 100 Insight owners with a hardware hack to allow EV only driving in the Gen I Insight. But that's off topic, as I was only pointing out the throttle control differences.

Look up MIMA if you are interested. MIMA allows:
A) to cut fuel to the engine in Neutral with all electronics active for "EV" coasting at any speed
B) to cut fuel with the car in gear, and use Electric assist for as long as the battery will hold out ( twice as many miles as the FEH ) at any speed

In some ways, this is more capable than the FEH. EV at 65 MPH for example.
Oh, a HACKED insight. Not surprised at the EV, the vehicle wasn't designed to prevent that kind of thing, since it wasn't supposed to have EV only...