Trailer Hitch for 08 MMH

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trailer Hitch for 08 MMH

Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on their 08 MMH? I ordered and received one from etrailer.com and it looks as if I will have to enlarge or drill a hole in the frame on each side to fish the bolts up into the frame rail. Anyone else had this issue on a MMH or even an FEH??

Old 09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trailer Hitch for 08 MMH

Anyone?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Mariner should be the same as the FEH. I just put the hitch on mine. It was very easy. Although the instructions say you have to enlarge the drivers side access (Not a "hole" as such, but the opening at the rear of the frame rail) you might not have to. I took a flat file to the bottom edge of the opening and worked a bit but then tried the bolts and they went in easily.

Just to repeat a few tips that have been mentioned before: The instructions say to thread the bolts on the fish wire and then put the wire through the rear frame access. That would be really hard. Instead, push the threaded end of the wire back through the bolt hole and out the rear access, then attach the bolt and pull it back in. It's very easy that way.

Of course, leave the wires on until you have the hitch in place (put it up on the frame while threading the wires through the matching hitch holes) so you don't lose a bolt back in the frame. That's the only way to mess this up.

The instructions also indicate you need to disconnect the rear exhaust mount. I found no need to do this.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

My instruction didn't say anything about enlarging a hole anywhere. I bought the Curt Class 3 trailer hitch from e-trailer.com and I have looked and I can't even see the end of the frame rail. It looks like my rear bumper cover is covering the end of the frame??

Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

The box frame is open at the rear, under the bumper plastic. There is a gap between the bumper and the frame at the rear which makes the inside of the frame accessible. You can't really "see" it but you can easily feel it from under the car. I put on a Hidden Hitch. It may be that the washers on yours are sized such that they will fit through the gap with the opening as is.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, just finished installing it. I finally saw the gap at the end of the frame rail and didn't have to drill and holes or remove the exhaust. The really fun part (sarcasm) was lowcrawling under the truck to run the power wire for the modulite to the battery.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Pics anyone?! Not that I need to pull anything with the FEH when I have a 5.6L Expedition w/ tow package, but it's be fun to tote the golf cart around w/ a "golf cart"!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

You know, I said the same thing to myself before I ordered it. I have an F-250 Superduty that I really use to tow anything with but I am just a sucker for toys I guess. I have included 2 pics but they aren't the best. I will get better ones after I get it cleaned up.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Trailer Hitch for 08 MMH

Hidden hitch 70758 is the way to go. Pics of my install
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...php?i=2060&c=8
among others.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Glenn,

It is probably safe to say that all of the hitches are pretty much the same, with different names. Your directions looks just like the one that came with my Curt hitch.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch for 08 MMH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands