Tweaking the System on the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tweaking the System on the FEH

I'm wondering if GaryG or any of the other HG (hybrid gurus) know if there's a way to tweak/re-program the electronics on older FEH models to allow it to run in electric mode longer, say, up to 40MPH or better. The new ads for the 2010 FEH advertise it running up to 44MPH electrically. That capability would make a significant difference for me, too, on my '06 FEH. I can't afford to spend $30K+ on a new one, just to get a little more in the way of MPG. I'm running 5W-20 full synthetic as required, and I've already added a K&N filter set (oil and air), zMax to the oil and gas, as well as 42psi on the tires. I average about 35-36 in town now (if I stay at or below 30MPH), and about 32-34 on the highway (I normally run about 5 MPH over the posted speed limit; lower would get me better economy, of course).

Any insights appreciated.

Bob
Fayetteville, GA/Enterprise, AL

Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tweaking the System on the FEH

[

"if there's a way to tweak/re-program the electronics on older FEH models to allow it to run in electric mode longer"

A number of posters have just asked what you are stating but...you would then likely void the warranty. Your FEH normally only uses 13% of its hybrid battery state of charge (40-53%). Durability has been designed into this vehicle's hybrid system. This is a hybrid vehicle that obtains max mileage in a hybrid operation, not electric function.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm afraid not Bob, the electric mode in the '05 - '08 is pretty much set to protect itself by staying under 40mph in EV. Now assist can be adjusted with a Lithium plug-in battery which would increase your MPG with the engine running at any speed. Example - I was driving across the state a few years ago with the CC set at 60mph. All of a sudden my battery began a recalibration and the SoC climbed to ~90%. Still with the CC set at 60mph the battery started to discharge with heavy assist. MG1 controlled the engine idle while MG2 (traction motor) maintained the torque to hold the speed at 60mph. The results was during the time the battery was discharging down to 60% SoC, my SGII Instant MPG was reading 90mpg.

There does not seem to be a restriction with MG2 assisting the engine while it's running with the extra battery SoC is my point. It also seems if you can wait till after the hybrid warranty is over and the price of a plug-in system retrofit goes down, that may be the way to go to increase MPG. Even E10 will not hurt MPG that much at an idle. Also, think how long the engine would last just idling down the highway.

GaryG

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why are of the mind that running longer, or until reaching a higher speed, on batteries alone would extend FE...??

Battery recharge remains a constant, take an erg out, put an erg + n (n = loss) back in.