Updated 2010 Navigation System to 11.0X

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Updated 2010 Navigation System to 11.0X

Well, I had a minor windfall and I was getting sick and tired of the Navigation system in my '10 FEH Limited being completely blind to most of the newer roads that have been built near my home in the past 11 years, so I sprung $149 for the 11.0X Navigation system and map update. This is the last available update for our years of the Escape Hybrid and comes on 4 DVDs, which includes the Gracenote song identification database.

Installation is straightforward and by the book and it's simple to follow the instructions. You will need a product ID number off of the "I" System Information screen. Ford supplies a printed receipt with a matching product key for the discs you get.

I had no glitches or hitches but be warned: my Nav. system was so out-of-date that it took almost 4 hours for the entire procedure, which included what I guess was almost the complete contents of all four DVDs. Ford does provide a helpful "% Complete" indicator at the bottom of the screen to let you gauge how much longer each disc will take to complete. You basically just park the car somewhere that the ICE engine turning on and off won't be a problem or suffocate anyone, start the car and leave it on, insert the discs in order, enter the Product Key / ID# when asked, and when it's all over the system reboots and you've got all new maps.

https://ford.navigation.com/product-..._US/FordNA/USD

Or at least, on our cars, the latest generation of maps available for the US, Canada and Mexico as of 2019. There won't be any more after this unless some hero hacks the system!

How does it work? I live in a semirural area and I think the updated software is a little faster and more responsive based on a quick trip with the NAV destination set to a location about 15 miles away, and then back home. There are a LOT more streets shown, and the old ones are drawn more accurately. There seems to be an extra whimwham or two when you get within 0.2 miles of your destination showing the distance in quickly decreasing feet. The annunciation is clear and crisp as usual. The only downside to the Ford NAV is that you have to be stationary when you select a route and turn it on, and it's a bit clunky when you type in the address manually, but it seems to find what you want quickly enough.

Otherwise it works perfectly. It was a little expensive and probably not 100% necessary given the advancement in cellphone mapping and navigation, but this way I use NO ROAMING DATA on my phone, which to me is a bonus. If I save $100 over the next year because I don't have to use ROAMING DATA I'll be very happy. Every time I turn ROAMING DATA on, Verizon attempts to push a gigabyte or so of data down the pipe and a lot of the phone navigation apps. seem to enjoy cooperating with their business model.

So if you have $149 laying around, it's not a bad thing to do. If you live in an area where the entire surface transportation landscape has changed between 2019 and 2021, this will not help you. But for most people with maps dating back to 2010 (or whenever NAV became available) it seems worthwhile.

Last edited by AlexK; 12-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.