used escape hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default used escape hybrid

I am interested in buying my first hybrid. I need an suv but cant afford the gas, so I plan to buy an escape. The ones that fit in my prices range so far are 2005's with just under 130,000 miles. Any advice to help me with this purchase would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: used escape hybrid

I'm wondering what is your price range? Also what type AWD or FWD? What is your intended usage for your Escape Hybrid? Keep in mind that when over 100000 miles in most states you have no battery warranty. This may not be a big issue as most hybrid batteries last much longer than 100000 miles.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have 115,000 on my 06 FEH. Purchased new in Dec 05. No problems. Don't put much faith in mileage numbers bandied about by some. In the real world you'll see around 35 hwy, somewhat less in city, and less in cold winter. For winter get a block heater or put one in yourself (not difficult & helps with mileage). Check to see if it has an upgraded MECS pump (Motor Electronics Cooling System)(this isn't hard either to put in).

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast

$8,000 is what I have to spend, awd or 4x4, and everyday use (work, errands etc) I live in ohio so I will be driving in cold weather and snow. Is there anything I should be aware of or look for in my inspection and test drive, that would save me some headaches down the road. Thanks for replying to my thread.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM

Watch how the FEH shifts between engine on to on the battery and back. In my experience it should be able to go about 2.5 miles on the battery on a level surface. If it's much less than that there might be a battery problem.

This engine produces better mpg at higher altitudes. I wouldn't expect to see high enough altitude in Ohio to make much difference.

Go out on the interstate and punch it. You should skedaddle quite well. First time I did that the FEH surprised me. Since it has a 4 banger I wasn't ready for its performance. When you punch it the engine and the traction motor goes to full... and the traction motor has some punch all of it's own.

While on the battery listen to the axles for any roughness or noises.

If you have alot of snow then the AWD version would be worth it.

Short of putting a Scanguage on it that's the best I can give you.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Bill's using guest work when he says you can go about 2.5 miles in electric mode. I most likely drive in electric more than anyone here posting and my battery give's me 1.3 miles on average. That is with a average fully charged battery of 52% SoC by the generator and going from 30mph and holding 30mph with cruise control. There are no stops or acceleration during these test and this is without a headwind. As you can see, 2.5 miles is almost twice what could be expected from a '05 FWD FEH, and more than twice as much for an AWD FEH that Bill has.

GaryG

Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tdara
I am interested in buying my first hybrid. I need an suv but cant afford the gas, so I plan to buy an escape. The ones that fit in my prices range so far are 2005's with just under 130,000 miles. Any advice to help me with this purchase would be appreciated.
You could also consider similar non-hybrid vehicles like the Escape I-4, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV. MPG won't be significantly less and there won't be any potential issues with a hybrid drivetrain.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM

My numbers are not guesswork. When I first got my FEH I had to pick up my wife at Dulles International Aiport. I don't like to park if I can help it.

So, as I went around the traffic circulation route, a nearly oval closed loop that is as level as you're going to get, I hit the trip odometer when it went on the battery and noted when the engine fired up. Since it was late in the evening the traffic was light, so the speed was a consistent 20-25 MPH. I made something over 10 circuits of this loop that night. So the 2.5 on the trip odometer was repeated several times.

As it turns out over the years I've owned my FEH I've had the opportunity to repeat this test about every year or so. My results are consistent.

There was no guesswork involved. Post your own results but don't be so quick on the trigger when you don't have a clue how someone generates their info. You not only were guessing yourself, you were presuming someone else was just too stupid to be as good as you.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 09-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

We got the 4X4 FEH due to living on a small mountain(river bluff) and wanting to get home when it snows. We need it when we get hit with a heavy snow. I would guess you might be in a similar situation in Ohio. It will reduce your mpg 3-4 from a front wheel drive model. We looked at competing SUV's and in highway mileage several will compete. But, around town the FEH was hands down better when we compared it to the others. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by econoline
you could also consider similar non-hybrid vehicles like the escape i-4, toyota rav4, honda crv. Mpg won't be significantly less and there won't be any potential issues with a hybrid drivetrain.
+1

Quick Reply: used escape hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands