Useful info on the nav display?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Useful info on the nav display?

Yes but...........

I'm getting 40's and 50 MPG entire tanks now.
That will more than make up for a few cold weeks in winter.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is an interesting thread, pitting people who want to rationalize spending all those bucks on the Nav system against those who'd like to rationalize passing it up. I don't think my own decision to get it was entirely rational, but I don't care. Allow me one anecdote from another life, to make the point.

Many years ago I heard a speech by Edward Teller, and in the question period one hostile student asked him "aren't you ashamed of all the evil knowledge you've brought into the world?" His answer was that he had known both the Government and individuals to make many mistakes in the past, but "I don't know of anyone who made a mistake because he knew too much."

I never agreed with him on many things, but I do agree that knowledge is an intrinsic good, and that's why I didn't think twice about getting the Nav system. Or the ScanGauge, for that matter, warts and all.

Before anyone warns me that this point can be carried too far, I need to say that I know it. That makes this the place to quote the revered physicist, Niels Bohr, who said that the difference between a great truth and an ordinary truth is that for a great truth the opposite is also true.

Now, Jason, you can throw me off the Board for waxing philosophical when I should be talking about cars. Or do I get a warning before I walk the plank?

Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hallewis
This is an interesting thread, pitting people who want to rationalize spending all those bucks on the Nav system against those who'd like to rationalize passing it up.

...do I get a warning before I walk the plank?
I have wondered several times what I would have done if the 2005 FEH that York Ford had sitting on the lot that fateful day (when I went to look at the new Mustangs) had the Nav/audiophile system. If I bought it and loved it I probably would have insisted on it for the '06 as well. But since I bought off the lot and it didn't have it, I wanted my second one to be identical so that I could swap back and forth with the wife and not "favor" one car over the other. How's that for a rationalization?

Hal, were they still making folks walk the plank in your Navy days? I thought by WWII they were stringing people up from the yardarm in their skivvies or something.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Site Founder

Please disregard the following statement. I apologize for the disruption it has caused and will be dealing with the situation with our staff. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Oh, and one more thing, anyone compares the nav system to their handheld seperate unit gets a warning and maybe a ban.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Technology Enthusiast

Scanguage $169

Magellan Roadmate GPS $600

Portability of both devices to any car priceless

Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
Please disregard the following statement. I apologize for the disruption it has caused and will be dealing with the situation with our staff. Thanks.
No need to apologize; you run a first-class Board, and everyone know it. I was just having fun when I suggested walking the plank. And, as Ray noted, planks were out of favor in my own Navy days, ancient history to most of you. We did, however, have a brig, but that is another story.

Hal