very poor mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: very poor mileage

No, just disconnect the 12v battery for 5 minutes. THEN you have to drive it for a while so that the prom re-learns all the mappings.

Meanwhile, if you just stop letting it idle to warm up, you mileage will be WAY better.

MM

Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Duhawk
so I just take it in and tell them to reset the KAM?
I can't wait for HyMotion to release their battery to the public so we can just plug in and go on battery power around town all morning without the ICE even kicking in, or at least that is what they say will be available in early to mid '07.
Good luck with the HyMotion dream.

The service Techs will only reset the KAM if they repair something that would effect KAM and they need to retest for driveability.

Duhawk, your problem with gas mileage sounds like a mistake in sitting at a idle and short trips. Sometimes it is best for me also to take my '02 Explorer on that short trip to the store a mile away to save fuel. At least my average gas mileage would be about the same as my FEH during that short trip.

Read up on the Scangauge, it may help you like it did me.

GaryG

Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Playa

Thanks, I'll try it. I only let it warm up 10 min once so far hasn't been cold enough to warrant doing that.
Can I get an engine block heater right from Ford or is it less expensive to get an after market?
Do they after market remote starters for MMH and FEH or do I have to buy the one Ford offers?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Playa

What mountain did you descend to get those pictures of your miles until empty? How did you do it?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

This is your problem right there. Remember, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. I seriously doubt you have any mechanical, settings, or memory problems. Your drive route and style is totally at fault here. Don't start messing with the KAM, but I think blocking air to the radiator may help some.

Your driving route, and daily demands sound perfect for an all electric vehcile.
They sound totally terrible, and worst case, for a hybrid vehicle.
I'll bet you a box of donuts ( or other pastry of choice ) that there is nothing wrong with your vehcile. If I drove like you did, I'd get the same results.

Remember, Hybrids have a "niche". They are not spectatular under all conditions.
-John

P.S. Don't EVER let your car just sit and idle to warm up. It wastes a TON of gas, and most people start to get heat to the cabin in about 30 seconds.

The car doesn't usually have a chance to get warm or build enough charge up to have the ICE turn off because I only live 4 blocks from work but have to drive because I am constanly going to jobsites and most of the drives are only 2-3 miles at a time, but at the same time if I start it and let it idle for about 10 minutes than I can run on battery alone for most of the in town traveling with the same fuel econ results.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll try it. I only let it warm up 10 min once so far hasn't been cold enough to warrant doing that.
Can I get an engine block heater right from Ford or is it less expensive to get an after market?
Do they after market remote starters for MMH and FEH or do I have to buy the one Ford offers?
Incidentally... if you listen to the guys on car talk they'll tell you that letting the engine "warm up" is a common urban legend. The engine will warm up wether the car is moving or not and it frankly doesn't care much. There might be an exception if you are going to floor it right away, but other than that it really doesn't matter much according to them.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:20 PM

What mountain did you descend to get those pictures of your miles until empty? How did you do it?
In order to come down a mountain, you must go up that mountain first. So don't go making a mountain out of a mole hill, because that is about the size of the mountains we have here in Florida.

I have never kept a mileage log, so this is my way of letting the reader know I know a little about getting good gas mileage. My goal this winter is to get that picture to read 999 Miles To Empty. Wouldn't that be something? All I have to do is average 66.6 MPG for a few tanks. Most likely, I will only make it 825 Miles To Empty though.

The funny part (only to Me) is, most of the FEH/MMH owners will only see their mileage go down in the winter. Seeing that picture number increase every time I post, has got to hurt. Sorry

GaryG

Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
..Seeing that picture number increase every time I post, has got to hurt. Sorry

GaryG

It does Gary, it does...but that's why we appreciate your responses and your letting us pick your brain

Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Incidentally... if you listen to the guys on car talk they'll tell you that letting the engine "warm up" is a common urban legend. The engine will warm up wether the car is moving or not and it frankly doesn't care much. There might be an exception if you are going to floor it right away, but other than that it really doesn't matter much according to them.
Incidentally in case I'm not clear, I mean that in terms of damage/wear on the engine. Letting the car warm up doesn't really help eliminate engine wear. Most of the wear is probably during the start itself (because the oil is down in the oilpan) but even if the oil pump doesn't get the oil up there to the cyliner walls within a few seconds, it doesn't matter much if the car is moving... the cylinders are still going up and down one way or the other.

As far as fuel economy is concerned the guys are right. Start it and get going.

I don't do as well as Gary, but I do get up around 30 with an AWD and only a 9 mile commute everyday. If I did things their way I could probably push 35.

Note now that winter is here I've dropped to about 28-29 or so for that 9 mile commute.... still alot better than the V6!!!! and darn near as good as my old ZX2!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
The funny part (only to Me) is, most of the FEH/MMH owners will only see their mileage go down in the winter. Seeing that picture number increase every time I post, has got to hurt. Sorry

GaryG
It doesn't bother me, I'm just enjoying the better mileage over what I would be getting... But I'll still pick your brain...

Secretly I think you've "Flintstoned" your vehicle. You used a plasma torch to cut holes through the floor boards and you just pad around on your bare feet... Yabba dabba dooooooo!

Quick Reply: very poor mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands