Wankel Rotary w/base/Atkinson/Miller cycle modes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Wankel Rotary w/base/Atkinson/Miller cycle modes.

~18:1 base/native compression ratio, DFI plus intercooled SuperCharging, linearly modulateable SC. Triple intake ports with the second and third displaced rotationally and having electromagnetically controlled valve close/open capability. Rotational displacement of the 2nd intake port/valve provides for CR of ~15:1, 3rd valve opening limits CR to <10:1.

"Otto" mode, idle and/or simple cruise, no boost and the axillary inlet ports are closed, ~18:1 compression ratio.

Moderate acceleration, engine load, loading and the 2nd intake valve opens resulting in ~12:1 effective CR, no boost, Atkinson cycle.

HARD acceleration, HIGH engine loads/loading, 2nd & 3rd intake ports now open, engine's "base" compression ratio <10:1, Miller cycle.
"Measured"/Metered boost as a function of gas pedal position beyond 50%. Engine "base" effective CR now <10:1, SC boost raises effective CR in a linear fashion.

Positive displacement variable speed SC. SC is driven via a PSD(CVT) summing machine, engine drive as one input, synchronous multiphase AC motor as the second input. Variable frequency inverter drive allows linear control of boost level in depended of engine RPM.

SC "meters" intake airflow, NO throttle plate.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wankel Rotary w/base/Atkinson/Miller cycle modes.

Kinda reminds me of the old 4-6-8 Caddy! Awesome concept, pretty good execution, sold a few, but total additional complexities and associated costs probably killed it.

Wankel needs a big buy-in. It's time may yet come. Hey this is 2012, anything's possible!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wankel Rotary w/base/Atkinson/Miller cycle modes.

The apex seals, the equivalent of piston rings have been the Achilles Heel of the Wankel. Then comes meeting the much more stringent current and future federal emissions.

I have a rotor in the basement I use for a book end from a GM Wankel that they ran in the 70s.