what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what aftermarket nav system for '06 FEH?

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
Does anyone have a more detailed description or an image of this "lip" part that needs to be cut out for fitting a double-din system? It would really help me visualize and determine if I could do this install myself, especially when the stores want to charge me $300 for it, which I don't have the budget for.
If a store is charging you $300 just to install a head unit, they're telling you they don't want your business. The reputable shop I went to for a 2DIN install wanted $50 since it's only an hour's work anyway.
Some of the Escape specific websites/forums have pictures and descriptions of 2DIN headunit installs if you are still curious.
Be careful though, it's a slippery slope you're on. If you haven't upgraded the speakers yet, you'll really want to once you put that new headunit in. Then "while you're at it" you might want to sound deaden the doors to improve the sound and reduce road noise...good luck!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
Then "while you're at it" you might want to sound deaden the doors to improve the sound and reduce road noise...good luck!
You're right, now you got me curious about "sound deaden the doors", tell me more!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You're right, now you got me curious about "sound deaden the doors", tell me more!
One of the Escape forums (forgot which one) has a pretty detailed description of this. Basically you can go nuts and make your Escape as quiet as a Lexus or just beef up the sound coming out of your speakers. If you have a good installer, they will know all about this as well. The products are sold under names like Dynamat and RAAMat.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Crutchfield.com has information on this subject.