What do people think of Escape AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What do people think of Escape AWD?

I have a 2009 FEHL in Chicago and it is only FWD. I never had a problem even in non-plowed streets. This winter has been hard with a lot of snow. But, I am still able to get around. It is a FWD car.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure if I would do the AWD if I had it to do over again. The MMH is our winter car, and we have done two long winter road trips, about 10 ski trips, and regular snow commuting since we got it. I've had it in 6" deep snow and it goes right through it, although I don't think the rears kick in very often (if at all). I would rather have the mileage increase for an FWD than have AWD that has yet to get me out of a sticky situation. That being said, I guess it only takes one sticky situation and I might change my tune...who knows?

I have not taken it on 4x4 roads yet so I can't comment about performance there, but the gas Escape is considered to be one of the more "off-road capable" of the cute utes. The only thing that worries me about taking the MMH off road is the lack of low gearing to keep speed in check. Once you get down below 10-12mph, the regeneration doesn't do very much to slow you down so you would be relying on your brakes.

The AWD bias is obviously towards the front of the car since the rears only kick in when slippage occurs. I like this better than my last car (Subaru Outback) which had a 50/50 split. The Outback liked to kick the tail out if you gave too much gas, but the MMH seems to be a lot more predictable in the corners--however, that isn't as much fun for doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have been wondering if AWD would be worth it. I get around find in my FWD Prius in the snow. What alot of off-road types tell me is that it is not so much the 4WD that is valuable (though for true off road it of course is) but the extra clearance. But the clearance is not different between FWD and 4WD and I don't anticipate going truly off road. Then again, it would be nice to know the extra traction is there...

Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Depending on where you are, FWD might not be an option. In Colorado, all of the FEH's and MMH's I've seen in dealer inventory have AWD since that is what people around here want. I've never seen an FEH on the road around here without the rear differential either. Where are you located? You could probably special order an FWD car though if you were willing to wait a little.

Based on my experience in previous cars, I've always said that I would rather have snow tires on an FWD car than all seasons on an AWD car. However, I find the Contis on the MMH to be very capable in the snow. Those tires are also stock on the FWD car if I recall so I think you would be fine with the FWD. If you DID find that they were not enough, you could buy a new set of high end snows for less than the price of AWD.

It is interesting to drive the MMH after driving my HCH. In the MMH, I'm practically jumping for joy if I exceed 35mpg--in my HCH, I would probably slit my wrists if I got mileage that bad. It's a differenty strategy of driving though, and you will probably adapt better coming from a Prius.

The ergonomics of the MMH are a little different after owning Japanese cars (especially the wiper controls), but I've gotten used the the little quirks and am really happy with the MMH.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
?
I have not taken it on 4x4 roads yet so I can't comment about performance there, but the gas Escape is considered to be one of the more "off-road capable" of the cute utes. The only thing that worries me about taking the MMH off road is the lack of low gearing to keep speed in check. Once you get down below 10-12mph, the regeneration doesn't do very much to slow you down so you would be relying on your brakes.
Actually I have driven my FEH off road quite a bit, and the braking is excellent because the regenerative braking boosts the hydraulic system. It takes getting used to riding the brakes on a long steep downhill instead of "gearing down", but there is more than enough braking power for low-speed braking.
The FEH will fail in situations where you are doing rock crawling or other more extreme off-road situations that are appropriate for purpose-built 4WD vehicles with frame chassis, lift kits, multiple differentials, skid plates, extra low gears, etc.
I'd also add that the AWD FEH has stiffer springs than the FWD, you may like the handling benefits or you may dislike the stiffer ride.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM

We have a blizzard here today and I drove in it at noon and again after work to take a co-worker home and can say my FEH performed flawlessly in the snow and drifts I encountered in unplowed city streets.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

"...and while it really needed the style upgrade that 2008 brought...."

To bad the 2008 makeover was into butt ugly. Anyway, just my thoughts. Both my wife and I dislike the boxy square look of 'let's jump on the square box bandwagon' so trendy these days and prefer the previous styling. Before we upgrade to a newer FED, which will be when there's a plug-in model, we so hope they change the style again!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ranger01
"...and while it really needed the style upgrade that 2008 brought...."

To bad the 2008 makeover was into butt ugly.
To each their own... The wife and I ordered and waited for a 2008 instead of getting a 2007 off the lot with discounts. We like the new look over the "I'm round and fluffy like a CRV/RAV4" look.

Sorry for going off topic...

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
I currently own a Prius. I am very happy with it, but it is a little small for my needs. What do people think of the Escape? Is it a good, reliable car, or just another sadly mediocre US effort?
I don't have AWD but, in my opinion, my 2009 FEH is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I highly recommend you test drive one or even rent one for a weekend and see what you think. If you are looking for opinions though make sure you are getting them from people that actually own and operate one. There are some folks around here that like to post negative remarks about this vehice when neither them nor anyone in their family owns or operates one (by their own admission). Word to the wise. In the end though, you have to make the decision that is best for you and your operating circumstances. Best of luck. By the way, I am currently averaging about 34 city for my 2wd FEH and I am in no way a hypermiler.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I highly recommend you test drive one or even rent one for a weekend and see what you think. If you are looking for opinions though make sure you are getting them from people that actually own and operate one.
Two very good points here. My recent experience is people who do not own/have never driven one, almost all have a negative opinion about them. I think they get these opinions from nothing more than reading reviews somewhere. Talk to someone who owns one and uses it in his or her daily life.

Quick Reply: What do people think of Escape AWD?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands