Who's modding their hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Who's modding their hybrids?

Hi Mike, The only mod if you want to call it a mod was that I added some wind deflectors to the four windows to allow driving with the window cracked open with out the rain draining from the windshield towards the windows. You can have the windows craked open and not have to use the A/C as much in the summer. They are aerodynamic in design and look like a factory install job. Read more here.
They also sell some clear lamp guards that are like clear heavy plastic that go over all of the headlights , turn signals, and fog lamps to help prevent breakage from stones. See them here

Last edited by Wbruff; 01-04-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Changed link URL in message
Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Curious if there is an EV only switch as there is on the Prius. That is the kind of mod that would be useful; short distance trips across the street to get mail, etc. without need for the ICE to come online and burn gas.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Early Adopter

Nope.

The only reason there is an EV switch mod available for Prius is that Toyota included it as a feature in some markets. Since the capability was already in the vehicle it was a relatively simple matter for someone to develop a kit to re-enable it.

Given the weight of the FEH and the relative size of its battery an EV only switch would be of much more limited use than in the Prius.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are two things I've always wanted on my hybrid.

When pulling away from a stop, I like to keep the truck in electric only, at least until I've reached 30 mph. However, I try to ride the edge of the most acceleration I can get without starting the ICE. It would be really cool to have a button that when held would allow you to accelerate on electric only without worrying so much about how much you pressed on the pedal.

Second, and this one seems like a possible aftermarket mod, an AC that could run off the battery. I realize that AC can take quite a bit of power, but it still seems possible.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Early Adopter

The FEH battery does not have all that much capacity relative to the size of the vehicle. While the battery pack is physically very large compared to the Prius it has less energy density due to its design.

I don't disagree that an EV mode switch might be an interesting feature but because it was not part of the original design adding one would be a non-trivial exercize requiring access to the PCM source code.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Steve, I'm glad for the capacity it has because pushing 4,000 pounds for a mile and a half down the road is a great start. Remember, were using less than 25% of the FEH battery capacity to start with. It would be nice to know how many total battery cells I've gone through (died) in a little less than a year driving EV like I do.

Regarding a EV switch, protection would have to be built in for the battery, electric motors and drivetrain. Right now the protection is built in with the way we must slowly use the torque of the electric motors, or the ICE will start. A demonstration of this torque can done by driving in EV at 5mph and flooring it. My tires light up on my FEH as the ICE is being started. An EV switch could act the same as an afterburner if other considerations are not met. The "L" and double tap is fine with me at this point because my racing days are over.

Xcel, give me a good time for you this weekend and is there anything you want me to try with the scangauge before.

GaryG

Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 PM

Xcel, I just knew you were looking for some data and thats why I needed a heads up on what you needed. As I have indicated, I'm coming off of a bad 1/2 tank of gas which I'm not use to. Its been very hard to maintain 60+mpg on a round trip with that crap so I'm not expecting the great numbers to come till its completely cleaned up. That said, I just was doing some 60+ late yesterday and today but didn't look at the trip data before letting it slide on the warm up today. The number your looking for is the same number I want to find. You understand I not getting my numbers from a marathon attemp with no traffic. This is out on the real roads in real traffic. If you want me to get off on a country road and get the true max out of her, no problem because I'd like to see those numbers also. I expect high winds and cold weather this weekend and I would guess any testing would be effected by it. Also, its best to understand things like starting a trip with a drained battery or full battery. If you want hard core data to compare with, I rather do it right and don't mind sharing. If someone can do better, no problem, but what I afraid may happen is the comparisons are not exactly the same ie a full battery verses a half drained battery etc.

Think on it and lets talk, I think I still have your number and you know its free nights and weekends for me. Just email me a good time to call a head of time.

Sorry for the late post, just got home from a B Party of a friend.

GaryG

Old 01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have an HCH and have done some mods that had already been tried by two other people. Discussion
Air Filter CC Breather and Exhaust.
It has greatly increased the HP and has made the HCH more "driveable". I have been pushing 80 and avg 48. Prior to mod anything over 70 would leave me in the high 30 very low 40's.

Quick Reply: Who's modding their hybrids?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands