Why an EV button will be difficult

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why an EV button will be difficult

What about thinking in another way, insted of tricking it this way, trick it that way instead?
Say instead of overriding all these functions, temps, times, etc, trick into thinking it ran out of gas!?!? Doesn't it still run a mile or so in "limp home mode"?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
Say instead of overriding all these functions, temps, times, etc, trick into thinking it ran out of gas!?!? Doesn't it still run a mile or so in "limp home mode"?
Yes... at 22mph in most cases... which is good enough for parking lots and getting into your driveway / garage... Somthing to ponder....

Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Yes... at 22mph in most cases... which is good enough for parking lots and getting into your driveway / garage... Somthing to ponder....
I often wondered what would happen if we simply fliped the fuel cutoff switch on the kick panel... (scratching head)

besides causing a nuclear dissaster or such

Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I often wondered what would happen if we simply fliped the fuel cutoff switch on the kick panel... (scratching head)

besides causing a nuclear dissaster or such
Is that a cut off switch? I thought it was more like a reset. In other words you can't turn it off... you can only reset the "breaker". I've never used it though.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Quick, someone please go try it....

I would, but it's literally zero degrees outside now with 50 miles per hour winds.
Looking at my wall chart ( legally required like a smoke detector in MN ) thats a WCF of -31'F !

Last edited by gpsman1; 01-29-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Just kidding on the legal part, but it should be!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Is that a cut off switch? I thought it was more like a reset. In other words you can't turn it off... you can only reset the "breaker". I've never used it though.
Good question, the manual says fuel cutoff switch, but to reset it do these steps... humm

The fuel pump shut-off switch stops the electric fuel pump from sending
fuel to the engine and the high voltage shut-off switch shuts off power
from the high voltage battery when your vehicle receives a substantial
physical jolt.

Likewise here today GPS man, the wind woke me up this morning a few hours early Check my weather machine, dropped 10 degress in 10 min But that's just normal in OK, but 46Mph wind (I'm sure it was higher) was extreamly loud this am! But alas I can't if I wanted to, wife has it at work.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Quick, someone please go try it....

I would, but it's literally zero degrees outside now with 50 miles per hour winds.
Looking at my wall chart ( legally required like a smoke detector in MN ) thats a WCF of -31'F !
For God's sake John, how do you guys stand weather that cold?? I worked for Collins Radio Co. in Cedar Rapids, IA in the late 1960's, before talk about WCF, but -23F actual temp and 40+ mph winds are some of my most vivid memories. In the discussion thread about the hybrid battery, this is the type of weather where the HV battery might not be capable of starting the vehicle if SoC is too low.

Excuse me, I'm inside, but now need to put on my sweater

Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM

I did a search on whether the Prius has an electric only mode button and found this link: http://www.coastaletech.com/electric_only_mode.htm

A $45 item plus shipping. It seems simple to install via this link. However, it is for the Prius and not the Escape. PriusEVmode.jpg?t=1202609978

Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM

I still have no way around the 30 seconds of initial start up run time from the key turn.

However, I have been successful at getting full battery power, full EV, and full regen at -10'F ( -23'C ). Last night, at minus 10 degrees, I was getting close to 50 MPG on a 37 mile, all city drive... of course.... I had to drive with gloves on, and you could see my breath inside the car....

-John

Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

John:
I notice in the Jay Leno PHEV video, that when first starting, the ICE ran for a short period, they said it was to warm up the CAT.
Bob

Quick Reply: Why an EV button will be difficult

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands