Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

" when I was a kid we didn't even have seatbelts in a lot of our backseats! I came out alright..."

I detect some head injury.

"Good luck Prada, thanks for stopping by to let us know how you feel about Ford's inferiority."

Not buying the Ford Escape...remember...it has a lower crash test rating, lower mileage and lacks stability control of other available hybrids.

Ironically my current 2002 Ford has stability control which was one of the reasons I purchased it. Can't see stepping down in safety.

See you over on the Prius section, maybe the Camry section if my skis fit through the small backseat passthrough.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

I would guess that the VSC currently offered as an option on the Prius has only been available on the second generation Prius. Ford is still selling its first gen hybrid drivetrain, and it looks like VSC is planned for inclusion in Ford's second generation hybrid drivetrain(09?)......that is just a reality of how new technology gets implemented into products for the mass marketplace. [for example, Toyota changed to the electric driven A/C compressor on the second generation Prius]

Most times you can't get everything you want in a vehicle and you make a compromise. VSC is still a "nice to have" vs. a "mandatory" feature for many. Just read Toyota's VSC disclaimer for some insight as to why that is - "....It is not a substitute for safe driving practices.......as with other safety technologies, such as anti-lock brakes, it is important to drive safely, since Vehicle Stability Control cannot defy the laws of physics, nor can it provide more traction than exists in a given condition." Their point is to slow down if you are going to lose traction.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

"VSC is still a "nice to have" vs. a "mandatory" feature for many."

VSC is mandatory starting in 2008 (30% of vehicles) and 100% by 2010 because the safety stats on VSC are so overwhelming (similar to seat belts, air bags, etc.) per Insurance Institute. The evidence is so clear that most of the auto. mfg. have agreed to make it standard on all models sooner than NHTSA has required. You can read more VSC here.

It would be foolish to buy a new car today without it.

As far as why Ford is late in providing this technology vs. Toyota having it for 3 years already, story of US auto. mfgs and why there are now two US mfg in 2007 vs. four in 1987 and those two are going out of business.

I always try to buy American but I'm not going to jepordize safety to do it. My 2002 Explorer had top safety rating with front/side airbags, ABS and VSC. I'm not going backwards. I would have gotten the Escape but for the VSC. Maybe it will have it 2009 but I'm buying in 2007.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prada

As far as why Ford is late in providing this technology vs. Toyota having it for 3 years already, story of US auto. mfgs and why there are now two US mfg in 2007 vs. four in 1987 and those two are going out of business.
Toyota may have VSC, but they had to sacrifice the performance of their AWD system to do it. Feel free to read through the posts in the Highlander Hybrid forum to see how many owners have been stuck by only a couple of inches of snow. Toyota opted to use a second electric motor for the rear wheels, which added cost and can cause traction problems. Ford opted to stick with the current AWD system without VSC until they are able to engineer a new system that can handle AWD, regenerative braking and VSC. I'm sorry they aren't working fast enough for you.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

"Toyota may have VSC, but they had to sacrifice the performance of their AWD system to do it."

So that's why Ford is putting it on in 2009...because it doesn't work?

VSC hasn't hurt the AWD performance of my Explorer in Montana, Utah or ID snow. There is a button to turn it off if you are doing real off road but then that's not really the issue is it?

"Ford opted to stick with the current AWD system without VSC until they are able to engineer a new system that can handle AWD, regenerative braking and VSC. "

I'm sure that is the reason, problem for Ford is others have it working now.

Same issue on crash test, the Escape is not as safe as the Highlander or a Subaru. I guess Ford is waiting until they can get that right also. You think Ford would have at least fixed the Escape crash ratings for 2008, instead they rearranged the sheet metal.

At every decision point, the Ford gets a B not an A.

The bottom line is too many compromises to buy the Escape

Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 AM

"Toyota may have VSC, but they had to sacrifice the performance of their AWD system to do it."

VSC hasn't hurt the AWD performance of my Explorer in Montana, Utah or ID snow. There is a button to turn it off if you are doing real off road but then that's not really the issue is it?

"Ford opted to stick with the current AWD system without VSC until they are able to engineer a new system that can handle AWD, regenerative braking and VSC. "

Same issue on crash test, the Escape is not as safe as the Highlander or a Subaru. I guess Ford is waiting until they can get that right also. You think Ford would have at least fixed the Escape crash ratings for 2008, instead they rearranged the sheet metal.

At every decision point, the Ford gets a B not an A.

The bottom line is too many compromises to buy the Escape
Okay... so fine... you don't like it and think its a death trap. Move on, no need to beat it to death my friend.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I kinda wish more people thought like Prada, so I wouldn't still be waiting for the 08FEH I had to order. Seems it is such a BAD, UNSAFE vehicle, that I couldn't find what I wanted ANYWHERE IN MY STATE... lol

Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Trolls people, trolls.

Trolls avoid answering a question by throwing rocks instead.

Trying to have a discussion is pointless.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Its not that VSC doesn't work, its that getting it to work with a real 4WD system and regenerative braking is extremely difficult. Toyota COULD NOT DO IT. Ford COULD NOT DO IT. No one has this working in a real 4wd system. Toyota opted to go a different route to get "4WD". They added a second electric motor that SOLELY powers the rear wheels. This enables Toyota to incorporate VSC into an "AWD" vehicle. The problem with this configuration is that because the rear wheels are ONLY powered by the one electric motor and NOT from the gas engine, the 4WD system is subject to leaving owners STUCK. Ford opted to maintain a real 4wd system that powers the rear wheels via both electric and gas engine. They were not about to design two seperate systems...one for FWD and one for 4WD. Therefore, making this choice left them without VSC.

IF Ford is putting it in their 2009 FEH, it is because they have finally solved the problem of VSC and regen in a 4wd vehicle WITHOUT sacrificing its 4wd performance....something Toyota has not done.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 PM

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced plans to require electronic stability control systems to be phased in as standard equipment on all passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds starting with the 2009 model year and to have the safety feature available on all such vehicles by the 2012 model year. Today, ESC is standard on 51 percent of 2007 passenger-vehicle models, and it is optional on 13 percent of others.

This is what I just pulled out of the Consumer Report website. It might be best to stop this thread and move on.

Quick Reply: Why no VSC, Stability control for '08??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands