Fusion Second Best Hybrid on the Market

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fusion Second Best Hybrid on the Market

Originally Posted by GaryG
The size battery in the FFH is better than most non plug-in hybrids. In fact, Ford has the right package for the best non plug-in hybrid on the planet right now. After all, we're comparing a mid size FFH to a compact Prius and HCH for MPG. That's because you can't even compare the TCH or HAH mid size hybrids to the FFH.

The only way you can compare a hybrid is by its EPA City/Highway rating. The FFH has are ready proven to go 1445.7 miles on a single tank of gas at 80.527mpg with a combined EPA of 209.16%.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...9&viewcar=2951
This is the highest full tank EPA rating recorded by any hybrid ever.

If you look at the same drivetrain in the FEH, I have a lifetime (20,000 miles) true EPA rating right now and growing, of 158.32% which is 51.453mpg. No other non plug-in hybrid can claim this high of a lifetime true combined EPA rating so I think Ford is the winner here even in MPG.

GaryG
Huh? I was speaking to the number of units Ford committed to purchase - and what the vendor contracted to supply. The vendor is capacity-constrained, as the production plant is sized for committed-to volume. Nothing to do with the merits of the unit.

By just about every measure, Ford's done a great job at engineering both the Fusion and Escape drivetrains. The marketing and production planners - not so much, if the goal was getting a significant volume of the units out in the consumers' hands. If the goal was EPA rating bragging rights, halo marketing and 'greenwashing' - perhaps the volume limits are spot on. Not being privy to the conversations in the Ford Boardroom, I can't say which it was.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frodo
Don't think the trans is the limiting component - more like the battery stack. Ford chose to sign up for a relatively low volume - and that has been a constraint ever since.
Ford is currently remanufacturing an existing plant to produce "in-house" hybrid battery packs. It is believed these are going for the electric Focus and Transit Concept vehicles. This plant is also going to produce the new "transmission" for these vehicles. It is unknown if this plant is going to provide battery packs for the current Escape-Fusion hybrids. Then there is the Johnson-Controls Sach agreement with Ford. Next year (2011) lithium-ion battery packs are going to produced in the Holland, Michigan factory for the PHEV Escape.

At one time Ford had an in-house "skunk works" project to replace the Asian AW eCVT but stopped work on it for other (higher volume) projects/needs.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo
Huh? I was speaking to the number of units Ford committed to purchase - and what the vendor contracted to supply. The vendor is capacity-constrained, as the production plant is sized for committed-to volume. Nothing to do with the merits of the unit.

By just about every measure, Ford's done a great job at engineering both the Fusion and Escape drivetrains. The marketing and production planners - not so much, if the goal was getting a significant volume of the units out in the consumers' hands. If the goal was EPA rating bragging rights, halo marketing and 'greenwashing' - perhaps the volume limits are spot on. Not being privy to the conversations in the Ford Boardroom, I can't say which it was.
The '05 FEH was a money loser and it had to be a limited production vehicle. Ford was spot On with supply with production and battery contracts all along. In '09 Ford started making a profit on hybrids. The race is on and I bet on Ford!

GaryG

Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Ford is currently remanufacturing an existing plant to produce "in-house" hybrid battery packs. It is believed these are going for the electric Focus and Transit Concept vehicles. This plant is also going to produce the new "transmission" for these vehicles. It is unknown if this plant is going to provide battery packs for the current Escape-Fusion hybrids. Then there is the Johnson-Controls Sach agreement with Ford. Next year (2011) lithium-ion battery packs are going to produced in the Holland, Michigan factory for the PHEV Escape.

At one time Ford had an in-house "skunk works" project to replace the Asian AW eCVT but stopped work on it for other (higher volume) projects/needs.
Be nice if FFH could accomodate a more potent battery upgrade in the future some time. There is no reason to think the ICE in this car should last over 200K miles without an overhaul, and by then the battery would surely fade off. I think making a vehicle that could accomdate "upgrades" should be a consideration in design.