Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

The extended warranty companies are in business to turn a profit. This is fundemental. So, if you happen to fall into the statistical norm, it's not worth it for you.

If they're a responsible company, you may beat the odds, have a problem, and collect. With a shady company, you might deserve to collect, but hit a wall of resistance. Or they may just disappear.

I do know with every car purchase we're subjected to a barrage of near-abuse when we waive these things.

Something very simple you can do: Google the company's name, see what people are saying about them. Keep in mind negative experience brings people out of the woodwork, but if there is a preponderance of negative publicity, and some real horror stories...

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlucarelli
... at 37 months / 65,000 miles. The 60,000 mile extended warranty did NOT cover my $6500 repair bill.
The moment your FEH went from 60,000 to 60,001 on the odometer, your engine was NOT LONGER UNDER FORD POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. As you reported in the other thread, Ford extended the factory powertrain warranty from 36,000 to 60,000 on all 2006 FEH so you did get a bit of an extension from your original purchase agreement, for free.

I know it was bad luck for you to have this failure but there is NO FACTORY POWERTRAIN WARRANTY issue here as you were obviously past the warranty period.

This is the exact scenario that persuaded me to extend my warranty to 6yr/100,000 miles instead of putting that money in a savings account. I didn't feel comfortable taking the risk.

Also, before you FFH owners or potential owners start worrying, the 2006 FEH came with a 2.3L ICE. The FFH comes with a 2.5L ICE that has different components (more similar to the 2009 FEH). I believe the 2.5L added VVT so there has been some design changes along the way.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

My dealer offered an extended 2 years warranty or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) for $990, bumper to bumper. With such complex computer technology extended into every area of the car I think it's a good deal. If you've played around with the Navigation/Audio/Sync you know what I mean. As an example of when I was NOT covered is this: The air conditioning on my Duramax Diesel stopped working at 43,000 miles (past the all to typical 36K coverage). Service could not get to the problem without removing the dash and found that a small screw had lodged in an actuator assembly hanging the ducting flow. Cost? $1,200. Continuing with the same vehicle the radio stopped working .... cost to replace? $750. No thanks and I replaced it with one from BB for $250. I can imagine what it would cost to replace the instrument cluster in the Fusion. So to me ... it seems like a good deal.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Xdiesel

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
I remember a few years ago on the Prius site people not buying warranty cause Toyota's are supposedly so great. Well as their warranties ran out so did the MIckey Mouse screen a quite a few and it was like $1500 for a rebuilt plus install. To me in this day and age of $125 per hour labor charges and higher plus all the electronics (I wonder what the dash in the Fusion Hybrid costs) just one trip to the dealers after the warranty runs out will more than make up for what the extended warranty would cost you. Like car insurance, it's a crap shoot but one I'm not willing to gamble on.
===================
I agree with BigDog. With all the new technology, its worth the extra money to have the insurance in case some of the high tech gizmos go south. First thing I thought of was how long that dash screen would last. That by itself would pay for the cost of the warrenty. If you can afford it, get it.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by richoxfordblue
I agree with BigDog. With all the new technology, its worth the extra money to have the insurance in case some of the high tech gizmos go south. First thing I thought of was how long that dash screen would last. That by itself would pay for the cost of the warrenty. If you can afford it, get it.
Keep buying those extended warranties! Ford makes a lot of money from your fear.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

I sure hope that comment doesn't come back to bite you where the good lord split you.
================
Originally Posted by travelover
Keep buying those extended warranties! Ford makes a lot of money from your fear.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
I sure hope that comment doesn't come back to bite you where the good lord split you.
================