We Now Hear 52MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Default We Now Hear 52MPG

Ford Fusion Hybrid gets 52 mpg in a test drive

"The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and its twin, the Mercury Milan Hybrid, are mid-to-full-size sedans that seat five in surprising comfort and come nicely equipped at about $27,000. Best number yet: Best number yet: On a recent test drive, a Fusion Hybrid got 52 miles per gallon."

"At one stage I was getting a reading of 63 mpg."http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/motoring/2008557688_fordfusionhybrid26.html

In the right hands I bet the '10 FFH will get 60mpg plus tanks.

GaryG

Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: We Now Hear 52MPG

As much as it would be good for ford to have a car with decent mileage, that is not all that great.

I regularly get 55 MPG with my civic, but thats for a TANK, its kind of hard to compare 1 test drive (where a one way trip can regularly get over 70 MPG in my civic.)

I do not at all think that this backs up being able to get over 60 MPG because anyone can easily get over 75 or 100 MPG if they are going down hill, so 62 is relatively low.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by eikiel
As much as it would be good for ford to have a car with decent mileage, that is not all that great.

I regularly get 55 MPG with my civic, but thats for a TANK, its kind of hard to compare 1 test drive (where a one way trip can regularly get over 70 MPG in my civic.)

I do not at all think that this backs up being able to get over 60 MPG because anyone can easily get over 75 or 100 MPG if they are going down hill, so 62 is relatively low.
That's true, however you can look at my mileage in my '09 FWD FEH and compare that EPA city rating at 34mpg and 31mpg highway. I've broke into 50mpg tanks with 5 out of 8 tanks at near or over 700 miles during break-in. This is with Florida mandated E10, Flat roads and windy conditions. You need to click on "ALL" Vehicles and look at Hybrids in the 46.2mpg average to see my LMPG at Cleanmpg.com :
http://www.cleanmpg.com/cmps_index.php?page=garage

I've gotten 70.3mpg on a 20 mile round trip and others have recorded higher than 75mpg in recorded competitions.

The Fusion Hybrid drivetrain is basically the same in my '09 FEH, but much more improved and efficient. It will have the new much more efficient Variable Voltage Converter with reduced conversion losses between high voltage AC and DC current. In fact, the new converter boost the voltage for more power.

It will be a challenge for the HCH to keep up with the FFH in city driving, but I think it remains to be seen how they will compare at highway speeds. My guess is the HCH with its smaller size will do much better on the highway where it's rated much higher.

I expect the FFH will do 70mpg short trips also, but I expect to see it hit 80mpg at the MPG Challenge 26 mile round trip.

GaryG

Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM

In this new article even the HCH is not even compared to the '10 FFH:

"The Fusion will best the Toyota Camry hybrid by 8 miles per gallon in the city. The Fusion is projected to get the second best fuel economy behind the current Toyota Prius, which is much smaller. Toyota has not released gas mileage figures on the 2010 update of the Prius."
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...ON01/812290308

GaryG

Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Here is another article that talks about DFSO in the FFH that was first programmed in the '09 FEH. It's a great feature that allows the driver to save more gas while coasting down in speed. It's almost like going EV from any speed even in cold weather where EV is not possible. I've incorporated it even during the warm-up strategy.

"The 2.5 Litre 16 valve DOHC Atkinson cycle Duratec engine with 156hp (114Kw) and 135 ft-lb (182Nm). This is mated to a flywheel mounted 106Hp (78Kw) Permanent Magnet AC synchronous (BLDC) 275 Volt electric motor (no torque figure was released) with an electronically controlled CVT, all fairly conventional for a parallel hybrid and similar to the Prius and Camry hybrids. The difference is in the throttle-by-wire aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off and the integration of brake by wire regeneration.

Aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off

The fuel cut-off disables fuel delivery when the driver lifts off the accelerator. However, the engine management doesn't just abruptly disable the injectors. That would cause bumps and hesitation that the occupants of the car would be able to feel. Instead, the control strategy uses engine torque as the control variable. A desired engine torque is calculated based on a combination of driver demand, speed, gear ratio and other variables. When the accelerator is released, the torque is ramped down to zero. The fuel delivery, spark timing and electronic throttle position are determined from the torque demand. This causes the injector pulses to be ramped down so that the overall power delivery is kept smooth and seamless without abrupt changes."
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...temp_lifestyle

GaryG

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Here is another article that talks about DFSO in the FFH that was first programmed in the '09 FEH. It's a great feature that allows the driver to save more gas while coasting down in speed. It's almost like going EV from any speed even in cold weather where EV is not possible. I've incorporated it even during the warm-up strategy.

"The 2.5 Litre 16 valve DOHC Atkinson cycle Duratec engine with 156hp (114Kw) and 135 ft-lb (182Nm). This is mated to a flywheel mounted 106Hp (78Kw) Permanent Magnet AC synchronous (BLDC) 275 Volt electric motor (no torque figure was released) with an electronically controlled CVT, all fairly conventional for a parallel hybrid and similar to the Prius and Camry hybrids. The difference is in the throttle-by-wire aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off and the integration of brake by wire regeneration.

The fuel cut-off disables fuel delivery when the driver lifts off the accelerator.

However, the engine management doesn't just abruptly disable the injectors.

It **** well BETTER....!!

Yes, by all means KEEP that engine torque production UP, one would not want the car to come to a QUICK stop in case that foot having just "left" the gas pedal is heading for, or is now depressing the brake severely.

I think this is a description of the HSD system's "smooth" switchover to the electrics rather than due to gas pedal lift.

That would cause bumps and hesitation that the occupants of the car would be able to feel. Instead, the control strategy uses engine torque as the control variable. A desired engine torque is calculated based on a combination of driver demand, speed, gear ratio and other variables. When the accelerator is released, the torque is ramped down to zero. The fuel delivery, spark timing and electronic throttle position are determined from the torque demand. This causes the injector pulses to be ramped down so that the overall power delivery is kept smooth and seamless without abrupt changes."

GaryG

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG

The fuel cut-off disables fuel delivery when the driver lifts off the accelerator. However, the engine management doesn't just abruptly disable the injectors. That would cause bumps and hesitation that the occupants of the car would be able to feel. Instead, the control strategy uses engine torque as the control variable. A desired engine torque is calculated based on a combination of driver demand, speed, gear ratio and other variables. When the accelerator is released, the torque is ramped down to zero. The fuel delivery, spark timing and electronic throttle position are determined from the torque demand. This causes the injector pulses to be ramped down so that the overall power delivery is kept smooth and seamless without abrupt changes."

GaryG
That Business Week article is so full of miss-information I suspect it must have been "planted" by the Bush WH. I am embarrassed that I have a subscription.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
That Business Week article is so full of miss-information I suspect it must have been "planted" by the Bush WH. I am embarrassed that I have a subscription.
No Willard, your full of miss-information, not the article. I have the new DFSO in my '09 FEH and it works just as outlined in the article. You don't own a Ford Hybrid and most likely never drove one either.

Are your Kids taking care of you?

GaryG

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

As much as I hate to agree with Gary G, I just read the linked article and I see no mis-information. I did take exception to the Volt fanboy-ism. The Volt for now is vaporware with no real price announced. That and the Prius love about regen braking. I find it funny when the YOTA folks talk about features it is as if they are uniquely YOTA's. But those same features in a Ford write up are shared with YOTA. Oh well.

I love the fact that Ford is not just keeping pace but starting to put some distance between themselves and YOTA. This FFH is showing the Camry up quite nicely. More MPG and Higher, JD Powers, rated build quality. Nice!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by AllenF
As much as I hate to agree with Gary
Now what did I say or do to you for that comment?

GaryG

Quick Reply: We Now Hear 52MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands