Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Bonner Cycle Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bonner Cycle Engine

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...t_the_ult.html

Apparently, this engine design can produce approximately 760 horse power per liter, while being the most energy efficient engine design ever conceived.

When do you think that we will start seeing this in commercial cars? It might kill the hybrid car, but from what I am reading, I would expect city fuel economy to be at least 50 mpg, so everyone on the road would win either way.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Bonner Cycle Engine

An interesting approach:
Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...t_the_ult.html

Apparently, this engine design can produce approximately 760 horse power per liter, while being the most energy efficient engine design ever conceived.

When do you think that we will start seeing this in commercial cars? It might kill the hybrid car, but from what I am reading, I would expect city fuel economy to be at least 50 mpg, so everyone on the road would win either way.
Other than a vibration challenge, it sounds good. Traditional crank engines have a counter weight to help minimize vibration. With a vibrating cylinder, the sketch did not show any form of 'balancing mass'. But I suspect one simple change could solve the problem:

1) four-in a row, opposite cycles -- by having two center and two outer cylinders at 180 degrees opposite, the lateral and rotational pulses would be coupled and balanced through the engine block. There would still be some impressive shaft pulse challenges but at least it wouldn't be trying to tear itself off of the engine mounts.

BTW, please take any claims about thermodynamic efficiency with a grain of salt. One of the lessons learned in Thermodynamics class is the temperature differences are what counts more than anything else. The mechanical arrangement can lead to lighter and smaller engines but the real drivers are the peak combusion temperature vs. exhaust port temperature.

Given the potential small size and high power output, I would expect to see model airplane versions of this engine first followed by motocross versions.

BTW, I've recently seen via Wiki a new approach to the Wankle engine that uses a circular rotor housing and a three-part rotor. No working models but it too claims significant improvements including the use of a 'combustion chamber' (more of a slot) to solve the wall quinch problem.

Someday I must share with my PowerPoint drawings of the tip-powered, aircraft propeller design. Using a geared, centrifugal compressor, hollow carbon fiber blades and composite, blade tip combustors, this unit eliminates the engine weight and provides turbo-jet efficiency without a transmission. Using modern, high-frequency suppression nozzles and ram-air, post combustor mixing, it provides unparalleled efficiency and power. Designed for the Piper J3 Cub, the 50 lb, jet-tip propeller gives it a vertical climb capability and service ceiling of ~30,000 ft. . . . Fortunately, there are no working models. <grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bonner Cycle Engine

Given that there is a working prototype according to the PDF and that according to the comments, Peter L. Meitner, a Senior Aerospace Engineer at the US Army Research Laboratory and the Vehicle Technology Directorate at the John Glenn Space Center at NASA, is the one making these claims concerning its performance, I am inclined to believe them. If they are true and production engines can be made, then America's oil consumption should take a nose dive sometime in the future, so I am curious as to when this will start to happen.

Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 11-22-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Someday I must share with my PowerPoint drawings of the tip-powered, aircraft propeller design. Using a geared, centrifugal compressor, hollow carbon fiber blades and composite, blade tip combustors, this unit eliminates the engine weight and provides turbo-jet efficiency without a transmission. Using modern, high-frequency suppression nozzles and ram-air, post combustor mixing, it provides unparalleled efficiency and power. Designed for the Piper J3 Cub, the 50 lb, jet-tip propeller gives it a vertical climb capability and service ceiling of ~30,000 ft. . . . Fortunately, there are no working models. <grins>
Bob Wilson
There were helicopters with ramjet-tipped rotors.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...hiller_hoe.htm

Old 11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
joe540ci

Shining Arcanine ---Thanks for the post I found it very intersting. I think you and many others have the wrong concept of what a hybrid is .A hybrid regenerates energy from brakeing and going down hills ect. It helps any type of engine reguardless of its type or how great it may be. the bonner cycle would work even better with a hybrid system. JOE

Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow!

I have to admit I can't quite wrap my brain around the concept, but if it works half as well as claimed, it will be revolutionary.

BMW ought to get on this, and design a motorcycle around it. This looks like the holy grail for motorcycles: light weight engine with high horsepower and low emissions. Of course it would change cars as well, but the Bonner Cycle engine sounds ideal for bikes.

I wonder what it would sound like? A buzz? Wouldn't much matter, not to performance minded bikers...

Harry