Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Coasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by basjoos@Aug 10th 2004 @ 7:31 PM
Unfortunately, cars built since the 80's have a switch on the clutch pedal so you can't turn the starter over when the clutch released, making it inconveniant to start a car with a nonfunctioning clutch on flat ground. You have to either find and bypass the clutch switch or get someone to push start your car (and then hope you don't have to stop again on a flat road as you drive to a repair garage).
I would like to let you know that 1996-1997 Passat TDI's are the only TDI able to start without pressing the clutch.

All VW models from 1993 on you have to press the clutch to start them except the good old Passat 1990-1997, which are an older generation (the 1990-1994 and the 1995-1997 are made on the same frame btw, the later is just an update).

Just so you know.

It looks good from somebody driving a hybrid to know things like that about VW's when fit properly in a conversation.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

There is one spot on the way to work and two on the way home that are long fairly straight down hill sections that lend themselves to "idle stop" coasting. All the other downhill sections are too short, too curvy, or too congested to safely kill the engine. Last night was the first time to try the shut it off, turn the key to bring the electric functions online, coast, and push restart the car. It works! Normally my mileage gauge creeps up from 50 mpg coasting at 40 to a max of 99mpg coasting at 65 with the engine on. With the engine off it jumped to 99 right away. It is a bit spooky driving with the car completely off and no power steering. Please be very careful if you try this method.

Please see HCH for a new announcement! Titled: "Finally took the plunge"

Old 08-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Lakedude:

___I haven’t come across your announcement post yet as it’s 2 away from this one. The item I wanted to pass on is that in a normal ICE (non-Hybrid), the start sequence from a stand still is worth almost 45 seconds of idling at a stop. The wear and tear on a regular ICE is quite a bit more then what a Hybrid sees with a pack start as well. That being said, when in the MDX to drive to the gas station or on a huge downhill with a yellow staring at me heading for red, I will shut her down and coast right into place. The lights are usually over a minute in my locale as well so I do save but I am constantly doing the calculations. When I am wrong, it ticks me off of course but at least I received a free ride into the stop no matter how short the light or stop actually was. With your Vette, you can just drop the clutch and hammer off in first or second if you do in fact own a 6-speed manual.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net