Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

hi wind + low temp = worse tank ever

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:33 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default hi wind + low temp = worst tank ever

i'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like we have been having a LOT of high wind days here in minnesota. and winter just dropped in on us overnight. last week we were in the 60s, last night it was single digits. i fought my way home on the 4 lane, bouncing all over and trying to keep on the road, dealing with about 40 MPH winds. and it was snowing and rainy. big yuk. i turned off and went through town to take the slower road at the end, but that was awful. the wind was blowing across the road, and i was having a terrible time seeing the lines on either the side or center. and of course, the guy behind me wanted to go faster. sheesh. it was probably the first time since i got the car that i wasn't paying any attention to the FE display. i filled up on the way home tonight and i had only gotten 50.1 on that tank. poor, pitiful me....

i filled up at the usual place, and murphy's law was right there beside me. i got a car wash, because the poor thing was covered in salt, and the window washer was not working on the driver's side (most likely frozen). as i came out the other end, it started snowing again. sigh.

however......after all my whining, the new tank showed 59.1 when i got home, after driving in blowing snow again.

please, someone remind me again WHY i live here.

and btw, gas was 1.99 when i filled up.

Last edited by laurie; 11-17-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: hi wind + low temp = worse tank ever

Hi Laurie:

___I too have a poor tank (44.3 mpg) to post after I finish off my posts for this afternoon … I had just 60 miles of ~ 15 mph tail winds on my latest tank in the Accord with the rest being 15 - 45 mph head and side winds and temps between 19 and 48 degrees. Wind, rain, snow, and snow squalls. The only thing missing was a pestilence or our weather here in the Chicago area would have been mentioned in the bible I did pay just $2.189 yesterday which isn’t bad but nothing like what I am seeing in some of the other parts of the country as of late? I drive right by the refineries that make our gasoline too

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Yeah, I got bitten too. Temps dropped 20 degrees during the day (and 40 or so at night) pretty much overnight during the week, staying there while things have just gotten colder, and winds have hovered around 30 mph, and there's been some snow, but not enough to make anything other than interesting things to hit and bounce off your car (it's not sticking).

Dropped 2 MPGs on the current tank from 34 to 32, and may end up being among my worst tanks ever. I'm not looking forward to seeing what dead winter does to my FE, this'll be my first winter, I knew I'd take a hit, but I was hoping that between the garage and some time to build it up over the summer, my LMPGs wouldn't take too big of a hit, now I'm not so sure.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Yeah, I got bitten too. Temps dropped 20 degrees during the day (and 40 or so at night) pretty much overnight during the week, staying there while things have just gotten colder, and winds have hovered around 30 mph, and there's been some snow, but not enough to make anything other than interesting things to hit and bounce off your car (it's not sticking).

Dropped 2 MPGs on the current tank from 34 to 32, and may end up being among my worst tanks ever. I'm not looking forward to seeing what dead winter does to my FE, this'll be my first winter, I knew I'd take a hit, but I was hoping that between the garage and some time to build it up over the summer, my LMPGs wouldn't take too big of a hit, now I'm not so sure.
The weather changed in Baltimore this week. It was 60's and sunny, and now it's 40's and drizzling. Aside from that, I need to reinflate the tires but both gas stations in my neighborhood have broken air pumps. Result? I'm getting a whopping 37 MPG out of my HCH-I. But hey, I know the car can do better. It just can't do better right now. Oh well.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Dang I see my milage drop when going from 90's to the 50's.Kevin