Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Hypermilers might enjoy this clip

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default Hypermilers might enjoy this clip

I know this isn't exactly 'hybrid' but since I post here occasionally and enjoy learning ways to squeak out a few extra miles per tank like most of you ... I thought most would this video segment. How many of you can relate to this kind of obsessive behavior???

Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Thumbs up Re: Hypermilers might enjoy this clip

That is a *great* clip! Thanks for cheering up what has been a really lousy day, in car terms (see recent post in the FEH forum).

But... a camera in the fuel tank?!?!?!

Last edited by sweetbeet; 11-23-2005 at 02:58 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermilers might enjoy this clip

Hi Rich C:

___Thank you for the link. I know what that guy was feeling and I have to congratulate him for sticking it out … I sure wish I could have been there as he should be able to get another 2 - 300 miles out of it using all the tricks

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM

You want to bet he was getting good draft behind the camera truck?

I think this piece was great. It may give an insight to people as to why we try to push ourselves for better and better mileage.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:52 PM

Hi Tom:

___I think he said the Audi was rated for 37 out on the highway? The EU’s Urban/Extra Urban I am sure. Either way, if it was rated at 37, 40 + and 800 miles on a top off should have been a slam dunk at slower speeds?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 PM
04 prius 350,000km

he shouldhave done the same test on a hybrid

Old 11-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Diesel Driver

More here (beginning/ending)

Originally Posted by xcel
should have been a slam dunk at slower speeds?
He appears to be travelling at a steady 55 mph on the clips where you can see the speedo - UK motorways are limited to 70, I wouldn't want to be travelling any slower than that where 30% of people are even travelling 80-90

Last edited by stoner; 11-24-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:03 AM
04 prius 350,000km

oh c'mon he has a twin turbo V8 diesel haha, he coulda owned almost any veichle on the street if he wanted to.but driving that car at that speed proved to be painful.

i wonder if a prius can drive non stop 800 miles on a full tank of gas. or a civic hybrid for that matter.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Read some of the threads. I believe both the prius and civic have been able to hit 1200 miles on a tank.

The civic doing it as a daily driver over a tank. The prius on regular roads in a marathon 3 day run.

Civic tank holds 13.2 gals and I think the prius holds 12 gallons.

People correct my numbers if I'm wrong.

I get about 650 in the sumer if I don't top off. I recieved 700 (city/suburban driving) at the begning of last summer topped off. At the end of sumer I was getting 650 or so non-topped off. so 700miles should be quite doable in my commute. If you put me on the highway without stopping my car for 400 miles I would be doing far better. I got 60mpg(US) driving about 250 miles on open highway in similar conditions that that guy drove in (1/2 fairly flat and 1/2 very hilly).

For my tanks I generaly go about 20 days. So thats 40 starts from a cold engine. Many stops at lights.

I won't take anything away from this guy though. He did it in a V8 which is indeed impressive.

Last edited by tbaleno; 11-24-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi Stoner:

___I saw a lot of trucks passing him in the various shots so I have to believe he was doing lower speeds then most. He described DWL and DWB which was very good. He described not using the A/C for all but clearing the windscreen of condensation and little to no heat in the cabin. He also mentioned using a steady 1,200 RPM which is about what I would expect for maximum FE in a Diesel. All are very good techniques. He didn’t mention setup, any drafting techniques, nor any FAS’ing. In a max range run, I could care less how much over the limit others are driving. Hell, I wouldn’t care about following the max speed limits either! Speed limits are max, not min when going for a record range, record FE run imho.

___Anyway, in 50 + degree temps, I can usually hit 950 miles with < 19.5 gallons of fuel in the non-hybrid Accord (only a smallish I4 however) so a Diesel with the over generous Euro based 37 highway should be able to do far better then 800 miles imho.

___Philmcneal, a Prius for just 800 miles? At a generous 12 gallons, that is only 66 mpg. Many here can do that while using A/C if they have the right kind of roads Out on the highway, it would be a struggle but at 55 mph in a setup one, no problem.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Hypermilers might enjoy this clip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands