Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Yes, just put them on your ignore list.

Then their posts wil be reduced down to only their name.

Thanks Martin for the tip!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned
Thumbs down Insanity: Doing the Same Things Again and Again and Expecting Different Results

Originally Posted by Green Hybrid at 4:30pm CST
Welcome to our newest member, delta-flyer
Please delete post this when it's resolved - thank you.

This imposter/serial troller has serious issues and seems to be proud to broadcast he is an utter nutcase and has already rejoined under still another alias....and vowed to come again and again.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 01-25-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Are We Having Fun Yet?
Default Re: Insanity: Doing the Same Things Again and Again and Expecting Different Results

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Please delete post this when it's resolved - thank you.

This imposter/serial troller has serious issues and seems to be proud to broadcast he is an utter nutcase and has already rejoined under still another alias....and vowed to come again and again.
What is going on? Mang, I miss all the wacky fun..

Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earthling

Some people need trucks for their work, but the sad fact is that most gas-hog trucks are driven by people who favor the macho image of large trucks, and the environment and gas-hoggery be ****ed.

Harry
Not to bring up a sore spot here, as I have seen many do lately...But have you ever needed to rely on a friend that had one of these large trucks to help move a heavy item such as a couch or refrigerator?

Most people that own these vehicles do not do it for the "Macho Image" that you may think if gives. They do so because it is what they prefer. There will always be a market for this type of vehicle.

If you want the trucks and SUV's to be healthier for the world, then you should contact your local government representative and pressure them to inact the same guidlines on those vehicles as those that are used for passenger cars.

Sorry if I upset anyone here, but this is just another viewpoint to consider.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pmagnavox
Not to bring up a sore spot here, as I have seen many do lately...But have you ever needed to rely on a friend that had one of these large trucks to help move a heavy item such as a couch or refrigerator?
Naw, I'm sure a couple folks sit on hemp mats instead of a couch and don't eat anything that requires refrigeration. And the power for their Internet connection and computer is generated by someone rubbing two sticks together generating static electricity.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Naw, I'm sure a couple folks sit on hemp mats instead of a couch and don't eat anything that requires refrigeration. And the power for their Internet connection and computer is generated by someone rubbing two sticks together generating static electricity.
That's funny!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmagnavox
Or renting a Home Depot truck for $19 an hour on occassion.

Trucks and other heavy haulers have their place. The problem is 25 years ago the most popular vehicle was the Impala, but now it's the F150 - many light trucks are being used as a commuter vehicle, increasing our dependance on foreign oil, putting more US citeis on ozone alert in the summer, accelerating climate change.

I have a heavy snowboarder's jacket and use it a lot during the winter. When it get's 100F in August, it does not make sense to use it outdoors. It's just as sensible to use a commuter vehicle for most personal trips and save the truck for the heavy hauling - owned, rented, borrowed.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Or renting a Home Depot truck for $19 an hour on occassion.

Trucks and other heavy haulers have their place. The problem is 25 years ago the most popular vehicle was the Impala, but now it's the F150 - many light trucks are being used as a commuter vehicle, increasing our dependance on foreign oil, putting more US citeis on ozone alert in the summer, accelerating climate change.

I have a heavy snowboarder's jacket and use it a lot during the winter. When it get's 100F in August, it does not make sense to use it outdoors. It's just as sensible to use a commuter vehicle for most personal trips and save the truck for the heavy hauling - owned, rented, borrowed.

I'll agree with that. But, at the same time, how many families can really afford the luxury of owning a truck as a spare vehicle?

I'll admit that I own a SUV and a 3/4 ton pick up truck. (I am researching to switch to a hybrid, but not sure which one yet...leaning towards the Escape) I have used this SUV for daily commute, hauling items and humans, pulling cars out of ditches in the snow, etc...I do not plan on trading it in, or selling it, as it has been a VERY useful vehicle. The truck has served me well, and I hope to hand the keys over to my son in the future (IF his grades come back up to par).

Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

This "can't afford a spare vehicle" is not at all convincing with all the new light trucks on the roads. There are more vehicles per person than ever before. There are plenty of haulers to rent, borrow from friends, to buy second hand in good condition.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wondering
When you consider that most electricity is generated from hydrocarbons, isn't it less efficient to transform the energy into electricity and then use it to charge batteries and then transport the heavy batteries around until needed. Isn't there more pollution generated by burning the hydrocarbons at the power plant?
You need to go to Wikapedia on hybrids.

Non-plugin hybrids charge their batteries for the kinetic energy from coasting and breaking - conventional cars don't recoup this waste.

On EVs and plugin hybrids, even a single conventional coal-fired power plant pollutes less than thousands of conventional ICE vehicles. Of course, there are better sources than coal for power plants.

Quick Reply: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands