Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
This "can't afford a spare vehicle" is not at all convincing with all the new light trucks on the roads. There are more vehicles per person than ever before. There are plenty of haulers to rent, borrow from friends, to buy second hand in good condition.
Is it not true that second hand vehicles tend to emit far more emissions and use more gas than the EPA rated? That's what I always thought anyway.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You need to go to Wikipedia on hybrids.
And How Stuff Works' hybrid page, as well.

But since this is one of no less than three posts posing the same question from the same user, I'm confused as to whether the goal really is to learn more about hybrids...?

Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

This "can't afford a spare vehicle" is not at all convincing with all the new light trucks on the roads. There are more vehicles per person than ever before. There are plenty of haulers to rent, borrow from friends, to buy second hand in good condition.
I think you two are engaged in a bit of circular logic. I still like Bob's solution: Install a trailer hitch & buy a small utility trailer!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmagnavox
Is it not true that second hand vehicles tend to emit far more emissions and use more gas than the EPA rated? That's what I always thought anyway.
So trade in all my vehicles every two years to be on the bleeding edge of emissions? Using a second hand pickup truck a few times a year is not going to make that big an eco footprint.

Didn't you way you were researching the Toyota Camery Hybrid and Ford Escape Hybrid? Lots of people over the last ten days have been researching and been diverted. Best of luck on getting your new FEH.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think we are all too quick to apply "city folk" logic to the entire nation. I would wager that there are many people in suburban and rural areas who drive a full-sized truck or SUV as a primary vehicle, with no financial provisions for a second, more fuel efficient car.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

So trade in all my vehicles every two years to be on the bleeding edge of emissions? Using a second hand pickup truck a few times a year is not going to make that big an eco footprint.

Didn't you way you were researching the Toyota Camery Hybrid and Ford Escape Hybrid? Lots of people over the last ten days have been researching and been diverted. Best of luck on getting your new FEH.
Yeah, I was. I decided, after researching this forum as well as others, that the FEH is gong to suit me better. Besides, I can make it look like a mans' truck with little mods. LOL Just a gentle rib there GeekGal

Old 01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pmagnavox
Yeah, I was. I decided, after researching this forum as well as others, that the FEH is gong to suit me better. Besides, I can make it look like a mans' truck with little mods. LOL Just a gentle rib there GeekGal
Hey, don't poke me in the ribs right now, I'm about to burst as it is (baby's due April 1, no foolin'!)

No harm done, though my FEH is actually rollin' with more geek cred than girl power (see my vehicle's pics in the "Share" section), at present; however, I suspect once I have to toss a carseat, baby mirror, diaper bag and such in there, my days of being a "stealth" gal on the road are over. C'est la vie... My husband still ribs me that I should've gotten my FEH in black, since his last two cars have been black (and black IS sexy when it's clean), but living in Texas I personally have vouched that I'll never have a black vehicle as my daily driver... I sit too much in traffic to want to be a big solar collector.

I suppose you've modded vehicles before, but if not do your research if you're going to be changing out things like tires, rims, etc. There are some users in the FEH forum here who've done extensive mods (at least one is an offroader with solar panels on the roof and aggressive/mud terrain tires {apologies to that member, as I am bad at remembering usernames}), another works at a car dealership and has added things like a new GPS Nav system and DVD in-roof dropdown system; and still another has modded everything from the tires/rims to, if I recall correctly, the suspension and exhaust system.)

So, it's totally doable and I think all the users I'm referring to even log some of their tanks here on GH.com so you can compare any MPG "hit" they may be taking with said mods against the average of the rest of us with more stock vehicles.

I still have plans to add a tow hitch, though in my case it's less for towing and more so I can throw my road or mountain bike(s) on the back. I've been waffling about doing this for awhile, but ever since getting pregnant it's bumped the priority since I don't want to keep having to remove the baby's carseat to put the back seats down and carry bikes in the cargo area.

So, have fun, and you'd BETTER post pics as you get your vehicle and start modding it out. I may not be a modder of vehicles, but I definitely like seeing what CAN be done tastefully/well on my current favorite vehicle (FEH).

Last edited by GeekGal; 01-27-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: minor grammar fixes
Old 01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Hey, don't poke me in the ribs right now, I'm about to burst as it is (baby's due April 1, no foolin'!)

No harm done, though my FEH is actually rollin' with more geek cred than girl power (see my vehicle's pics in the "Share" section), at present; however, I suspect once I have to toss a carseat, baby mirror, diaper bag and such in there, my days of being a "stealth" gal on the road are over. C'est la vie... My husband still ribs me that I should've gotten my FEH in black, since his last two cars have been black (and black IS sexy when it's clean), but living in Texas I personally have vouched that I'll never have a black vehicle as my daily driver... I sit too much in traffic to want to be a big solar collector.

I suppose you've modded vehicles before, but if not do your research if you're going to be changing out things like tires, rims, etc. There are some users in the FEH forum here who've done extensive mods (at least one is an offroader with solar panels on the roof and aggressive/mud terrain tires {apologies to that member, as I am bad at remembering usernames}), another works at a car dealership and has added things like a new GPS Nav system and DVD in-roof dropdown system; and still another has modded everything from the tires/rims to, if I recall correctly, the suspension and exhaust system.)

So, it's totally doable and I think all the users I'm referring to even log some of their tanks here on GH.com so you can compare any MPG "hit" they may be taking with said mods against the average of the rest of us with more stock vehicles.

I still have plans to add a tow hitch, though in my case it's less for towing and more so I can throw my road or mountain bike(s) on the back. I've been waffling about doing this for awhile, but ever since getting pregnant it's bumped the priority since I don't want to keep having to remove the baby's carseat to put the back seats down and carry bikes in the cargo area.

So, have fun, and you'd BETTER post pics as you get your vehicle and start modding it out. I may not be a modder of vehicles, but I definitely like seeing what CAN be done tastefully/well on my current favorite vehicle (FEH).
Thanks for the info

Old 01-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

Lots of people over the last ten days have been researching and been diverted.
?? ??

Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kraken
I think we are all too quick to apply "city folk" logic to the entire nation. I would wager that there are many people in suburban and rural areas who drive a full-sized truck or SUV as a primary vehicle, with no financial provisions for a second, more fuel efficient car.
According to > http://www.demographia.com/db-usrur1800.htm , the urban population of the US in 2000 was 79%. If the urbanization of people moving to communities of 50,000 and greater is continuing, it's over 80% by now. That would suggest it's highly likely 4 out of five could rent/borrow a hauler for occasional use easily.

The bottom line of Detroit reflects a reduced demand for trucks/SUVs. Daimler/Chrsyler is offering up to $7K to reduce their truck inventory because they waited too long to cut production. Ford will operate at a loss for at least two more years - in part because they depend on truck sales as a percentage more than any other automaker. Of the top six automakers (DCX, GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda), light truck/luxury sales is over 50% of the mix for Detroit - under 50% for the Japanese automakers (although Toyota will be truck-heavy in a few years). It is clear that Americans are slowly cutting back on trucks for financial reasons.

The truck/car ration in 1980 favored the cars far more than today. In 1980, people were less urban, less well-off, had less vehicles per capita.

The suggestion a second fuel efficient commuter car is a financial burden flies in the face of the financial condition of Detroit, the demographics, and what people drove up until the past 15-20 years.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 01-27-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands