Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

OFF TOPIC - Chevy Impala Flex Fuel Rental

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default OFF TOPIC - Chevy Impala Flex Fuel Rental

Picked it up in Ft. Collins, CO, and drove it to Petalma, Ca.

Got 34.5 mpg in the mountains. Kept a tank average above 30 mpg.

Filled the tank, re-set the ave milage, got on 80 (75 mph speed limit),
ran the car right up to 80 mph and held it there (coasting downhill and lettign it bleed some speed uphill, as you would a hybrid) Got 29.5 mpg for the tank --

I didn't get the opportunity to use the flex fuel advantage.

I was absolutely amazed at the quality and the fuel mileage from this box stock rental.

Mark Mooney

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OFF TOPIC - Chevy Impala Flex Fuel Rental

2008 Chevy Impala V6 (3.5L) is rated 18(city)/29(highway) with the new EPA method. I would expect the 29.5mpg you got since you were able to do some DWL on the highway. I am impressed with the 34.5 in the mountains; but, you have to factor in that you went from 5000ft to 110ft during your trip.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

The new EPA ratings seem very conservative. I regularly rent cars and drive them in mountain areas and high speed interstate trips and usually exceed the EPA highway ratings.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Two points:

1. the 34.5 was between Ft. Collins and Steamboat; no loss of altitude.

2. Neither my Highlander Hybrid or my FEH Hybrid would get within 4 mpg of the Impala at a constant 80 mph.

MM

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
Two points:

1. the 34.5 was between Ft. Collins and Steamboat; no loss of altitude.
Like I said... I'm impressed with this leg. Not so much, on the second leg now that I know it was a ~7000ft decline and you only got EPA.

Originally Posted by MMooney
2. Neither my Highlander Hybrid or my FEH Hybrid would get within 4 mpg of the Impala at a constant 80 miles per hour.
MM
Are you really comparing the two (three?) in this scenario? I though you were just making an observation?

The Impala is destined to be better at 80MPH, it's lower, sleeker, and should weigh less. It's a CAR. You're also comparing a 4 cylinder (FEH) and a 6 cylinder in a scenario that is biased to the larger engine.

I can tell you that over 22,000mi in less than 1 year of ownership, the worst tank I've ever had in my FEH was 26MPG and that was fully loaded with 3 adults and stuffed with luggage at 70-75MPH going through mountains during break-in. That puts my FEH well within your 4MPG @ 80MPH scenario.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=MyPart;185708]Like I said... I'm impressed with this leg. Not so much, on the second leg now that I know it was a ~7000ft decline and you only got EPA.

No the 29.5 was from like Elko to Winnemucca, no real elevation change.

I hadn't paid much attention to new american full sized cars lately, and was amazed at how nice they really are. If other american consumers are as clueless as I was, they won't even test drive these beauties.

Oddly, my Highlander Hybrid gets better mileage at speed than my FEH.

In town, the FEH is the winner, as it's lighter, and I have more practice with it as the wife seems to always get to the Highlander first....

MM

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll put in my 2 cents after my 09 impala rental this weekend in FL/GA. We put about 475 miles on it. At one point we were at about 28-30 mpg running all rural highways (through town)...

However, in town it was horrible, esp. Valdosta GA. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-15 mpg.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I drove one of these flex fuel impalas and one thing to keep in mind is that it most likely had "active engine management" which means it will cut 3 cylinders when there is not a big demand on the engine. The one that I test drove had that, I was driving on a flat piece of road for a few miles at about 40mph and using my hybrid techniques I kept it in 3 cyclinder mode the entire time and was getting about 46mpg. I would agree its a pretty nice car. Its smooth and roomy.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I'm using a Rental Flex Fuel Impala... probably a 2009 since it has fewer than 3000 miles on it... in Georgia... and I'm from Ft. Collins! Small world!

Funny to find this thread already started, as I too came here to report it is beating my FEH for highway mileage... getting about 36 MPG at 60 to 65 MPH.

I am very pleased with this... Oh... that 36 MPG is with the A/C on too!
Amazing... I wonder why there is not more press about this?

Oh... and the trunk is HUGE!
-John