General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Originally Posted by pagemap
... I wish an American company had an offering for me when I was looking for a fuel-efficient car to replace my American-made SUV. I ended up buying a Honda Civic Hybrid.
Quite true for many of us.

One other thing that I have to be grateful for, is Martin's patience and resilience year after year in helping set things straight from a genuine GM perspective. Thank you Martin.

Like many, I remain hopeful that GM (and the other two) can somehow change their fortunes sooner rather than later. They've always had the bright and dedicated people in their ranks and now (at least) they have the incentive.

Now, one more thing... even though it has more to do with GM marketing:

The SUV and pickup commercials that target the average city-slicker have to be be toned down !!! Both in frequency and glamor. I still believe it is wrong to continue to perpetuate the glamor that is bestowed on these abominable urban platforms.
There are those that really need those vehicles and I am OK with that. Again, the right tool for the right job. But making these things an appealing choice to other suburbanites in my area is hardly akin of creating a good image. Seeing them idling outside their homes, before their owners commute to work in them every winter day is just not right.

Maybe GM can do something about this? Maybe changing their "American Revolution" theme away from the pickup trucks ads I often see it in, onto something that revolutionizes American thinking towards greater efficiency?
GM certainly has the cars that are sold throughout the world that get pretty good mileage... now it should be a matter of changing the American thinking back to "smaller is better". Heck, make smaller cars glamorous, prestigious or whatever.

Nah... maybe I am just too naive.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't believe this thread has yet to mentioned our politicians can/could assist with PHEV development thru the creation of tax credits or other incentives that can filter down to the retail level.

GM's estimated Volt purchase price today could significantly change in the future. We have heard and read of the target date for Volt's retail introduction. At the same time, I have yet to read or hear of a Toyota executive state what the estimated PHEV Prius Price would be and when they are going to be available for retail customers. Facts for these two questions do not exist at this time.

Last edited by Billyk; 04-24-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valerieannt
But then again Steve, we are not getting kickbacks from BIG OIL as GM does!
I'm assuming you have nothing to back this claim up. I bet you see UFOs, Bigfoot and the Lockness Monster too.

Free Market economies don;t work that way, honey.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indyr4400
Then why does big oil and big auto have to pay lobbyist millions to sway Congress for favors??? which are not in your best interest only theirs... I hope you all get what you deserve.... To bad gas doesn't hit $10.00 a gallon this year. Oh! and you don't believe in UFO's what about M-A-R-T-I-N the Martian I guess that you really are Nieve... You guys need more than fuel efficient cars let me tell you.

Well, I can't argue with that - mainly because it doesn't make any sense.

Big oil/auto pay lobbyist for the same reason Alternative fuel groups, candy companies, cigarette companies and every other industry segment in the US pay lobbyists. Nothing sinister there.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by martinjlm
A person who needs an SUV and opts to buy a 2-Mode will save more net gallons of gasoline per year...

In terms of total gallons saved, the hybrid SUV wins.

Peace,

Martin
I've got to back Martin up on this one. Since a regular Civic (for example) already gets good mileage going to the hybrid version does not save that much gas. Do the math.

A regular Civic (29 mpg EPA combined) would use 414 gallons a year (12, 000 miles).

A hybrid Civic (42 mpg EPA combined) would use 286 gallons a year.

Total savings 128 gallons per year.

A Tahoe (17 mpg EPA combined) would use 706 gallons a year.

The Tahoe 2 mode (21 mpg estimated) would use 571 gallons a year.

Total savings 135 gallons per year.

The lousy 4 mpg increase in Tahoe's mileage saves (slightly) more gas than the 13 mpg improvement in the Civic's mileage!

Last edited by BigTuna; 04-24-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
ELECPWR

Originally Posted by Neil
Well, I can't argue with that - mainly because it doesn't make any sense.

Big oil/auto pay lobbyist for the same reason Alternative fuel groups, candy companies, cigarette companies and every other industry segment in the US pay lobbyists. Nothing sinister there.

the only thing that dosen't make any sense is you... Oh! you must be a lobbyist then. I am beginning to question the people that are reading these anyways. Smells like OIL to me....

Last edited by indyr4400; 04-24-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neil
I'm assuming you have nothing to back this claim up. I bet you see UFOs, Bigfoot and the Lockness Monster too.

Free Market economies don;t work that way, honey.
Neil,
I guess when they were giving out "common sense" you missed out. Let's examine GM's GAS GUZZLING LINEUP- HUMMERS AND TRUCKS. Hmmm, last time I saw a GM commercial, it was for....just guess CADILLAC ESCALADE, HUMMER etc. Just how many EVs do GM have on the market now Neil? I rest my case. Oh that's right, they killed the EV1 how soon everyone forgets.

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=sienna]Proof again in the vehicles they produce - GM has a dedicated IV line hooked right up to BIG OIL.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sorry, I have got to jump in here.....Big Tuna, you are saying the dual mode is a better choice because it saves 7 more gallons per year than the Civic? WHAT ABOUT THE 285 IT WASTES???? come on, you can't be serious.

The Civic uses, by your estimate 286 gallons a year, the SUV TWICE that much @ 571....what are you smoking?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigTuna
I've got to back Martin up on this one. Since a regular Civic (for example) already gets good mileage going to the hybrid version does not save that much gas. Do the math.

A regular Civic (29 mpg EPA combined) would use 414 gallons a year (12, 000 miles).

A hybrid Civic (42 mpg EPA combined) would use 286 gallons a year.

Total savings 128 gallons per year.

A Tahoe (17 mpg EPA combined) would use 706 gallons a year.

The Tahoe 2 mode (21 mpg estimated) would use 571 gallons a year.

Total savings 135 gallons per year.

The lousy 4 mpg increase in Tahoe's mileage saves (slightly) more gas than the 13 mpg improvement in the Civic's mileage!
I understand the logic here, I really do. But it's still like taking a murderer and proclaiming him "Man of the Year", because in his latest crime he only maimed someone.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmm, since we are talking trucks, Toyota's Tundra gets all 13 mpg city and 17 highway via EPA ratings. Is this a BUMMER?

Quick Reply: Volt battery testing started

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands