Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   General Motors Corporation (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/general-motors-corporation-62/)
-   -   New Silverado Hybrid Owner (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/general-motors-corporation-62/new-silverado-hybrid-owner-11660/)

texasranger556 01-02-2007 11:27 AM

New Silverado Hybrid Owner

I just purchased a new 2006 Chevy Silverado hybrid and was wondering if there are any other owners here in the forum to compare experiences and/or horror stories.

So far I have owned it around 2 weeks and gotten about 18 mpg combined highway/city. The rear drive shaft broke after 500 miles so I was unable to drive it for 4 days because the dealer was closed for christmas. Since then I have drove it another 200 miles before parking it while I am out of town for work.

I am wondering if it is better to have someone drive it periodically, or to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for the full 2-3 months till I get back?

CCRGMac 01-02-2007 01:41 PM

Re: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Hey Ryan, sorry to hear about your experience. I really have nothing to offer as I have an Escape, but this forum seemed kinda lonely.

How's 18mpg compare to a regular Silverado? I can certainly attest to the fact that mpg improves over time as (a) the vehicle gets broken in and (b) you 'learn' how to drive it in the most economical way.

I wouldn't even try to disconnect the battery, the worst that can happen is that it'll discharge and you'll recharge it the first time you take it out again.

Pravus Prime 01-02-2007 09:51 PM

Hello and welcome to GH.

You are (as far as I'm aware) our first Silverado Hybrid owner to these boards. Although I can hardly claim any real knowledge, I would think that you'd be best off either leaving it as it is, or having someone periodically drive it if that's agreeable.

A quick note for others here who may not know, the Silverado Hybrid is a start/stop hybrid, no large scale battery pack to worry about in the same way that other hybrids out there does.

Ryan, I, and I'm sure several others here, would like to know any thoughts you have on your vehicle, and any good/bad points you've noticed either so far, or in retrospect. Even if you don't post that right away and do it months later, I'm sure people would still like to hear your perspectives.

AshenGrey 01-03-2007 10:47 AM

A lot of cars and trucks initially have problems. My partner's Honda Accord had a heater that conked out -- in January -- before it had gotten 500 miles.

The cool thing about your truck (which my HCH cannot do) is keep a laptop, PDA, cell phone, and MP3 player all charged at the same time while travelling. That is an awesome feature!

Best of luck on the new truck! And welcome!

bwilson4web 01-03-2007 12:31 PM

Like everyone else, welcome.

Originally Posted by texasranger556 (Post 104825)
I just purchased a new 2006 Chevy Silverado hybrid and was wondering if there are any other owners here in the forum to compare experiences and/or horror stories. . . .

There was a Dept of Energy hybrid fleet report that included the Silverado. Search the messages and you'll find the URL. Their report include maintenance and operational characteristics.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

martyb 01-12-2007 03:22 PM

i purchased one of the first 2005 Silverado Hybrids. It has run great for 1-1/2 years. Just before new years (2007), I attempted to start it, and it wouldn't turn over. It has been in the shop for two weeks now, because first they didn't know what was wrong, then they replaced the whole sylenoid/starter unit (which requires removal of the transmission). After replacing all this, it still wouldn't start. Then I was told "since the Chevy Hybrid is so new, we don't have parts for it. Additionally, before we order the part, Detroit has to give us the ok to order".

Now I'm told that the Inverter is fried. Inverter/Battery? See a correlation there?

As soon as I get the stinking truck back, I'm going to buy something else! What is the savings on 2 mpg? Not worth it to me. Say 4 years from now, will I make up those savings on a new replacement battery?

fastnx 01-14-2007 12:06 PM

A quick note for others here who may not know, the Silverado Hybrid is a start/stop hybrid, no large scale battery pack to worry about in the same way that other hybrids out there does.
Can you please explain the difference between the two systems?

martyb 01-14-2007 12:27 PM

What two systems?

fastnx 01-14-2007 12:29 PM

What is the difference between the 'Start stop system' and a conventional hybrid system?

martyb 01-14-2007 12:54 PM

When at a stop light/sign or in park mode, the vehicles system stops working off the gasoline, and runs off the battery power. As soon as you take your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator, it kicks back into regular (gasoline power) mode.

TeeSter 01-14-2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by fastnx (Post 106483)
What is the difference between the 'Start stop system' and a conventional hybrid system?

Easiest way would be to contrast it with my own vehicle, which is one of the other types. The Silverado only shuts its engine down at intersections. Its electric motor is not large enough to drive the vehicle forward alone. In fact I'm not even sure if its used as an assist. There are really kind of three systems. One just shuts the truck off at intersections but other than that the engine drives the car forward... you don't loose gas idling. It saves you a little bit of gasoline but not a whole lot. Some people balk at using the word hybrid in that system... but too each his own.

The second is a series hybrid. These systems also shut off their engine at intersections. Additionally an electric motor is used to help the engine drive the vehicle forward at low speeds and when extra acceleration is needed. The engine is usually slightly smaller since it doesn't have to provide low end torque. The electric motor is too small to drive the car ahead alone.

The third is a parallel hybrid, which is what my Escape has. In this system a large battery is in the back of the vehicle. In addition to shutting the engine off at idle, the electric motor assists the engine in acceleration AND at low speeds the electric motor is capable of moving the vehicle without starting the engine at all (up to 30-35MPH). The Escape has two electric motors one of which is smaller and is also used as a generator. When stopping the electric motors are used to recapture braking energy and store it in the large battery. The next time the electric motor is used to assist it can use that energy instead of it being wasted as heat on the brakes.

None of the systems require plugging in as the battery is recharged by the engine, and possibly recaptured braking energy.

I think the Silverado is one of the first type of systems (or a combination f the first and second types of systems).... Most of the Hondas are series hybrids and the Escape and the Toyotas are parallel systems.

As you go up the scale you get better and better gas mileage, and less pollution.... with a tradeoff of a more expensive and complex system.

In in the summer in my 4WD Escape I usually average about 30MPG. In the winter that seems to be about 26-27MPG.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what the silverado gets someone else here will have a better answer for that.

martyb 01-14-2007 10:26 PM

I get 16-18 mpg with the Silverado Hybrid. Not enough for me. Looking for a new vehicle.

TeeSter 01-15-2007 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 106542)
I get 16-18 mpg with the Silverado Hybrid. Not enough for me. Looking for a new vehicle.

I think thats why hybrid owners tend to not like to call the Silverado a "hybrid". The change that GM made is a good idea to the and does save gas... but not a whole lot, it tends to be 2-3MPG at best case. Those of us that would like to see hybrids take off, fear that people buying a Silverado and only seeing such a small improvement will associate hybrids with poor MPG performance and feel that all hybrids are a bunch of nonsense.

Theres nothing wrong with what GM did, it does save gas and thats a very good thing... I wish all vehicles would at least do what GM did on the silverado... but I wish they didn't call it a hybrid. Full hybrids save a alot more gas. They often fall short of the EPA estimates... but they still do better than a conventional system.

Unfortunately... I dont think anyone is making a Full hybrid pickup truck yet so if you need a pickup... The Silverado is about all you'll find. I love my Escape so if you were looking for an SUV you might want to consider it.

You could also look at diesels which will get better gas mileage...however they put out more particulates, etc....

martyb 01-15-2007 10:10 PM

I hear what you say! I know now, and am a more informed buyer. The problem is, with trucks, they don't legally have to put the vehicle MPG on the window when they sell it. So when my questions of gas mileage came up, it was "Oh, it's good".

And yes, the Silverado IS NOT A HYBRID. It's like the claim of less fattening. How much less fat? Trans fat, good fat, bad fat?

Oh well, live and learn.

By the way, I finally got my vehicle (Silverado Hybrid) back from the dealer. They called me and said it was fixed. I told them I would be by, to pick up, in about a half hour. When I showed up, I stood around for about a half hour (they said it was being washed), until a service clerk told me the guy that washed the car had inadvertantely left the premises with the keys in his pocket.

Then to top it off, I talk to the technician that worked on the car, and he tells me GM has changed all the parts (important ones for quasi-Hybrid) for 2007. Are the old ones (2005) bad?

TeeSter 01-17-2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 106305)
i purchased one of the first 2005 Silverado Hybrids. It has run great for 1-1/2 years. Just before new years (2007), I attempted to start it, and it wouldn't turn over. It has been in the shop for two weeks now, because first they didn't know what was wrong, then they replaced the whole sylenoid/starter unit (which requires removal of the transmission). After replacing all this, it still wouldn't start. Then I was told "since the Chevy Hybrid is so new, we don't have parts for it. Additionally, before we order the part, Detroit has to give us the ok to order".

Now I'm told that the Inverter is fried. Inverter/Battery? See a correlation there?

As soon as I get the stinking truck back, I'm going to buy something else! What is the savings on 2 mpg? Not worth it to me. Say 4 years from now, will I make up those savings on a new replacement battery?

Actually I think your battery is quite small. I don't think you have a large battery pack since there is no regen braking energy to store and your only electric system is really just an enlarged starter/generator. I don't think the electric assists the drive wheels at all. I think its just used to start and stop the engine at intersections so the vehicle doesn't idle.

Its a fairly basic (that has good and bad points) system. It SHOULD be pretty reliable, and pretty cheap to make. But the MPG savings aren't very large. In reality it just should be the way *ALL* conventional vehicles operate, instead of being marketed as an optional drive train.

Marmaduke 01-17-2007 06:14 PM

wow, I am shocked to read of these types of problems. Should have figgured that GM might design a vehicle that needs to have the engine pulled to replace a simple starter. I have to agree. 2 mpg is not enough to justify the added complexity. I should think that you ought to get at leasst 3 mpg improvement to cost justify the investment in money and frustration. Sounds like the Silverado system is not yet ready for prime time.

martyb 01-17-2007 07:41 PM

OK, I'm not done yet. On top of that, the technician showed me everything that was done to complete the job. Remember, everything that was wrong had to do with "Hybrid" parts (Starter, inverter, etc.).
Then he proceeds to tell me that for the new 2007's, the parts are now changed (better?) and different!!! Holy moly, did I buy a lemon.
Please no posts on the "lemon law"; I know.

Marmaduke 01-17-2007 07:43 PM

I guess that is the danger of being an early adopter. I am in the market for a Hybrid right now and I am a bit wary of some of the unproven technology. Dont want to pay a premium for a vehicle that will cost more to maintain and be less reliable than what I now have.

TeeSter 01-17-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke (Post 107225)
I guess that is the danger of being an early adopter. I am in the market for a Hybrid right now and I am a bit wary of some of the unproven technology. Dont want to pay a premium for a vehicle that will cost more to maintain and be less reliable than what I now have.

Understandable... but look around. Some of the Hondas have been out for a while, same with the Prius. There is a track record for both of them. I have an Escape with a track record as well... its not as long but the extra long warranty on any hybrid systems from Ford certainly takes some of the worry out. I've 20,000 on mine so far... no problems.

Also on the Silverado... The driveshaft probably isn't a hybrid problem.... The starter/inverter is another matter.

Marmaduke 01-18-2007 12:26 AM

yeah, I really didnt have a bad feeling toward the driveshaft. I have come to expect that as normal with GM. The starter thing is pretty disturbing though.

AshenGrey 01-18-2007 06:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the premium for the Silverado hybrid versus the regular Silverado? I was thinking that if the difference was small, it would be a good idea for GM to offer the Silverado in regular, FAS, and 2Mode. That way, the buyer would have several choices in price and fuel economy.

I like the simple elegance of FAS. It's a start/stop hybrid that also functions as a mobile power plant. It would be the perfect truck to own during an extended electricity failure (like during the Katrina disaster)

ag4ever 01-19-2007 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 106537)
The second is a series hybrid. These systems also shut off their engine at intersections. Additionally an electric motor is used to help the engine drive the vehicle forward at low speeds and when extra acceleration is needed. The engine is usually slightly smaller since it doesn't have to provide low end torque. The electric motor is too small to drive the car ahead alone.

I though that series meant the vehicle was driven entirly off of motors, and there was a generator type device that recharged the batteries if it needed more range than the batteries could supply.

TeeSter 01-19-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ag4ever (Post 107635)
I though that series meant the vehicle was driven entirly off of motors, and there was a generator type device that recharged the batteries if it needed more range than the batteries could supply.

After looking a bit I may have that terminology mixed up some. There certainly are two kinds in that there are ones like mine where the electric is sufficient to drive the wheels and ones where the electric only can ASSIST in driving the wheels, and you are right in that you can make a vehicle that does what you say.... That would be yet another class.

lakedude 01-20-2007 10:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the Silverado uses a 42volt FAS not BAS. If so, a FAS (Flywheel Alternator/Starter) is very similar to IMA except the GM version is much lower voltage...

From http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...1_alt_hyb.html

Flywheel Alternator Starter (FAS) System

GM hybrid pickup trucks get more miles from each gallon of gasoline mainly because of the engine start/stop function and regenerative braking, which turn the motor into a generator as the truck decelerates. Extra fuel savings come from quickly shutting off fuel any time the truck is coasting or braking, using the electric motor to make the transition seamless to the driver.

Instead of a conventional starter motor and alternator, the hybrid truck features a compact electric motor integrated between the engine and transmission, known as a flywheel alternator starter system. The 14,000- watt electric motor provides fast, quiet starting power, the ability to generate up to 2,400 watts of continuous electric power, and 10% fuel savings.

The electricity generated by the system has many uses. It may be stored in a 42-volt lead-acid battery pack for future use, used to support on-board electric accessories, operate power tools, or even run essential home appliances during power outages using the pair of 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the cab and bed. This technology is currently available to fleet and commercial customers throughout the country and is available to retail consumers in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada and Florida.

The FAS system is in production on the 2004 model year Chevrolet Silverado hybrid and GMC Sierra hybrid trucks.
The hybrid trucks are available as an extended-cab pickup truck on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. It is equipped with a 42-volt lead-acid battery pack, a modified 4-speed automatic transmission, 5.3L V8 engine, and is available in both 2WD and 4WD.

See also: http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silvera.../hybrid_en.jsp

Silverado Classic Hybrid’s regenerative braking takes some of the inertial energy from the moving vehicle and turns it back into electrical energy, which is stored in the Energy Storage Module.

AshenGrey 01-21-2007 06:23 AM

Personally, I like FAS better than BAS. ith FAS you get some very useful utility (the four 110v power outlets) and you still save a little gasoline. If you're using the truck as a mobile power plant, the exhaust is cleaner than what comes out of a worksite generator because the exhaust passes through a catalytic converter.

With BAS, you don't get the mobile power plant and you don't really save any more gasoline than with FAS.

The other thing I like about FAS is that it uses an integrated starter generator, not an alternator belt on steroids. I think FAS ill probably enjoy a longer service life than BAS. I also think FAS is more extensible than BAS. GM could easily release a "super power plant" version of FAS that could pack 144v like the HCH. You could have a whole lot of outlets in that configuration!

bwilson4web 01-22-2007 06:04 AM

Certainly the FAS is closer to the IMA architecture and could evolve that way easily. When I looked at the Saturn VUE BAS system . . . If I'd seen a Harley style belt drive, I would have been more impressed.

Bob Wilson

CGameProgrammer 01-31-2007 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter (Post 107657)
After looking a bit I may have that terminology mixed up some. There certainly are two kinds in that there are ones like mine where the electric is sufficient to drive the wheels and ones where the electric only can ASSIST in driving the wheels, and you are right in that you can make a vehicle that does what you say.... That would be yet another class.

Yes, you got the two terms backwards. A series hybrid is one in which the electric motor alone directly drives the wheels, with the engine/generator supplying power to the motor. A parallel hybrid is one in which the engine always, or nearly always, directly drives the wheels, with an electric motor supplying additional motive force.

All Honda hybrids are parallel hybrids. All Toyota and Ford hybrids are primarily series hybrids, but with elements of parallel hybrids. I guess you'd call them hybrid hybrids. :) Trains are pure series hybrids; the engine never drives the wheels. But in Toyotas and Fords, the engine can directly drive the wheels, but it doesn't most of the time as far as I understand.

TeeSter 01-31-2007 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer (Post 110088)
Yes, you got the two terms backwards. A series hybrid is one in which the electric motor alone directly drives the wheels, with the engine/generator supplying power to the motor. A parallel hybrid is one in which the engine always, or nearly always, directly drives the wheels, with an electric motor supplying additional motive force.

All Honda hybrids are parallel hybrids. All Toyota and Ford hybrids are primarily series hybrids, but with elements of parallel hybrids. I guess you'd call them hybrid hybrids. :) Trains are pure series hybrids; the engine never drives the wheels. But in Toyotas and Fords, the engine can directly drive the wheels, but it doesn't most of the time as far as I understand.

Most of the time there is some electric assist. However unlike the Hondas (as far as I know) the Escape can go up to about 40MPH on pure electric with the engine completely off. As far as I know the Hondas need the engine on to move at all.

lakedude 02-01-2007 06:31 AM

I think that the new Hondas can close their valves and move on electric power. If I'm wrong please correct me....

CGameProgrammer 02-01-2007 09:57 AM

The 2006 Civic Hybrid can do that in theory, but it very rarely does, in my experience. And the other Honda hybrids never do that.

fernando_g 02-06-2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke (Post 107225)
I guess that is the danger of being an early adopter. .

Someone said it best: never buy anything revison 1.0, better wait for a few revisions while the bugs are ironed out.

That is the main reason I'm NOT updating to Windows Vista! At least not yet.

texasranger556 03-03-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 106659)
I hear what you say! I know now, and am a more informed buyer. The problem is, with trucks, they don't legally have to put the vehicle MPG on the window when they sell it. So when my questions of gas mileage came up, it was "Oh, it's good".

And yes, the Silverado IS NOT A HYBRID. It's like the claim of less fattening. How much less fat? Trans fat, good fat, bad fat?

Oh well, live and learn.

By the way, I finally got my vehicle (Silverado Hybrid) back from the dealer. They called me and said it was fixed. I told them I would be by, to pick up, in about a half hour. When I showed up, I stood around for about a half hour (they said it was being washed), until a service clerk told me the guy that washed the car had inadvertantely left the premises with the keys in his pocket.

Well when I bought mine, the mileage was posted on the window sticker. The highway figure was the same as a normal 5.3L 1/2 ton. The city figure was 2mpg higher than a normal. This, however was not the reason I bought the truck. The dealer and factory incentives were over $12,000 which made it cheaper than any other trucks I'd looked at similarly equipped.

Originally Posted by martyb (Post 106659)
Then to top it off, I talk to the technician that worked on the car, and he tells me GM has changed all the parts (important ones for quasi-Hybrid) for 2007. Are the old ones (2005) bad?

I am wondering that too. The owners manual talks about an 8 year warranty on hybrid items, but I just wonder what all is covered. It's probably one of those things that it covers anything except the broken/burnt up part.

Also to add to the discussion, the silverado goes slightly beyond being a simple start/stop hybrid. If you look at the front of the engine, there is only the air conditioner and water pump taking power from the crankshaft. Absent is the power steering, radiator fan (might be electric on all newer trucks, I'm not sure), and alternator. The power steering is electric as well as the fan. The battery is charged by the electric motor that starts the truck through regenerative braking, so I suppose the reduced strain on the engine allows for better fuel efficiency, more than just shutting off the engine at stop lights.

Of course that is all in theory, and introduces added complexity and components harder to fix/access than an engine mounted alternator, power steering pump, and mechanical fan, not to mention more expensive.

So far I have around 1300 miles on my truck and no problems to report aside from the drive shaft (not saying much). I suppose once I begin driving it again this fall I will have more to report.

chevyhyboy 06-22-2007 11:21 AM

I've been driving the hybrid silverado for over a year now, and still averaging about 16 to 17 mpg not the 20 to 21 a sales guy told me, well i didnt listen to him anyways

It's a "pretty neat truck" as my diesel buddies say it

I did alot of research about this truck before i bought it, and thought well i'll give it a shot, it's been an ok truck. i dont have anything horriable to say about it, and i bet my diesel buddies cant say they've powered almost their entire house durring a power outage, WELL I CAN :P

chevyhyboy 06-22-2007 11:28 AM

i've got 23,000 on my hybrid silverado and had a water pump and electric stering go out i guess thats why we have a Warranty

texasranger556 06-22-2007 01:28 PM

Just an update, I now have a whopping 2,100 miles on my truck since I bought it new in December (it sits a LOT). I did get a chance to pull my parent's 22' boat over memorial day weekend and I was happy with the performance. Of course, in tow mode, it doesn't shut off at all, so its really just a regular truck at that point. Afterward, I changed the oil and added a quart of Lucas oil treatment which seemed to help the mileage of my last car (99 Mercury Cougar 4cyl 5sp). Mileage with the boat hovered around 13-14 while traveling to and from the Allegheny river which is fairly hilly.

I will be taking it with me on a new long-term assignment, so I will be driving it much more than I do currently. I'll be sure to post back after I hit a more substantial milestone than 2,100 miles.

texasranger556 07-30-2007 10:53 PM

Well I finally got to drive my truck some more (about to hit 5k miles!). After I changed the oil I drove about 300 miles from Pittsburgh to Baltimore and averaged about 21mpg (what the sticker says!!). I filled up and then drove back and forth to work for two weeks in beltway traffic, sometimes creeping along, sometimes cruising along at 65mph...depending on the time of day and traffic. I ended up getting about 19mpg (sticker!!) after two tanks of fuel. I'm impressed, didn't know it was possible to achieve EPA sticker numbers!

Now its getting transported to Seattle, WA for my new assignment, so I'll see how it does commuting to work in I-5 traffic. I'd have to say my truck's got more getup than the Impala rental I have right now...I can't wait to drive it again!

bwilson4web 08-09-2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by texasranger556 (Post 136542)
Well I finally got to drive my truck some more (about to hit 5k miles!). After I changed the oil I drove about 300 miles from Pittsburgh to Baltimore and averaged about 21mpg (what the sticker says!!). I filled up and then drove back and forth to work for two weeks in beltway traffic, sometimes creeping along, sometimes cruising along at 65mph...depending on the time of day and traffic. I ended up getting about 19mpg (sticker!!) after two tanks of fuel. I'm impressed, didn't know it was possible to achieve EPA sticker numbers!

Now its getting transported to Seattle, WA for my new assignment, so I'll see how it does commuting to work in I-5 traffic. I'd have to say my truck's got more getup than the Impala rental I have right now...I can't wait to drive it again!

Sounds good but I had a wild thought:
http://www.go-ev.com/

These folks are putting electric motors in the propeller shaft to the rear axle. I'm wondering if a retro-fit of one of their units might give a significant MPG boost for short trips?

Their system looks like the old 'over drive' retro-fit systems and they are strictly plug-in power. Still, electric power is about half the cost of gas . . .

Just a thought.

Bob Wilson

phoebeisis 08-09-2007 11:32 AM

Chevy bigger vehicles have pretty decent longevity

The Chevy 1/2 ton pickups,and SUV derivatives(tahoe,Suburban) tend to stay on the road a long time.Many, many of them make it well past 150,000 miles.It is true that the QC wasn't up to Honda/Toyota standards in the past, but they are much closer now.
18 mpg in mixed driving is very good.My Tundra V-8 accesscab(4400 lbs) never got better than 18 mpg hy(at 55mph),and only got 13.5 in pure city driving.It turned a lot or revs-2000 rpms-at 60 mph.
I recently bought a 1998 2wd Suburban(5.7) with 196,000 miles on it.It came with full maintenance records which showed the trans was rebuilt at 185,000 miles(1st time),and the AC, intake manifold gasket and several other items were replaced at 165000.The seller didn't have any reason to conceal the maintenace record-it was selling so cheap $2950 no point.It has the usual 10 yo car rattles, but otherwise is pretty nice.It get 12 mpg in pure short trip(2 miles or less with full cool down in between)city driving with the ac blasting.My scanguage shows it getting 20 mpg at 55mph,and about 19 mpg at 60 mph-not so bad for a 5400 lb brick.I expect that it will get 17-18 mpg on the same long trip route that the Pilot got 21 mpg on.In city driving the Pilot got 13-14 mpg.
Motor shutdown standing alone is a good thing.The V-8s use about .7gal per hour at idle(Pilot about .4 gal per hour).Most folks who spend 1 hour per day in city driving probably are stopped for 15 minutes of that hour-roughly .2 gal per day-65 gallons per year saved.
I'm pulling for GM.Their biggish vehicles-commercial pickups,SUVs-are what will make or break them in respect to USA manufacturing.
Charlie

pennylane 09-04-2007 10:53 PM

My dad owns a hybrid Silverado.. :D He went and bought one when I told him that it was already available, according to a Chevrolet truck blog I follow.

hoss 03-22-2008 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by texasranger556 (Post 104825)
I just purchased a new 2006 Chevy Silverado hybrid and was wondering if there are any other owners here in the forum to compare experiences and/or horror stories.

So far I have owned it around 2 weeks and gotten about 18 mpg combined highway/city. The rear drive shaft broke after 500 miles so I was unable to drive it for 4 days because the dealer was closed for christmas. Since then I have drove it another 200 miles before parking it while I am out of town for work.

I am wondering if it is better to have someone drive it periodically, or to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for the full 2-3 months till I get back?

hey ryan I have a 2007 with 2300 miles on it . It's a great truck I have a 7 ft. plow on it.It also has a speacial outlet in the rear of the tailgate to plug in power tools. But the problem i am having is finding production numbers.