2008 Hybrid Brakes Failed Several Times

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Hybrid Brakes Failed Several Times

guys,
no need to attack unhappy, pls try to be more understanding
if power assist doesnt work, then it is a problem, and has to be mentioned in this forum.

I do love my 2010 Tahoe, havnt had any issues, but i would like to hear if somebody had a brake issue, and how it was resolved.

just take it easy on unhappy

Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

I have taken this as far as the GM president's office, because my dealership could not guarantee the repair fixed the problem. I am not comfortable taking my grand-kids for a ride,if it could happen again!! By the way, GM dealerships HAVE a MEMO stating there IS a problem with the hybrid brake system, the public does NOT!!! If they are not afraid of GM they will show you, as they did me. I just want to talk to people who have experienced the same problem and how it was handled for them.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Are you guys aware that GM just recalled some 1.3 million compact cars for power brake failure...this is not brake failure, just a loss of the power brake boost. This is the second post I have read of one of the trucks. That said, I don't understand the attacks on a manufacturer because a component fails. Anything electrical, mechanical, or even structural can and may fail on any manufactured product produced in any country. And certainly the liability may lay with the manufacturer or the manufacturer of the component. But to say you don't trust something after they repair it??? Or to expect someone to give you your money back??? No one wants to have to deal with a problem on any equipment. But it happens. I agree that if an issue is of such a nature it should be reported to the safety industry as well as insisting that it is fixed. But the only vehicle I have heard this happen to other than yours is an old 06 or 07 partial hybrid GM truck a guy bought used with 55,000 miles on it. So this may not be a wide spread issue. I hope they get it fixed and that you can find comfort in that and trust your vehicle. That said, people today drive much too fast and follow much too close. So they are set up for an accident if everything doesn't work perfect anyway. I was in rush hour stop/go traffic yesterday and looked around me. In the cars that were in the 4 lanes within view, including a semi trailer truck, all were actively engaged with their cell phones...and two were either texting, emailing, or surfing as they were looking down and then back up to drive. I saw and heard brake noises several times as I observed this over several minutes. I shook my head as I too use my cell phone and have texted before too. How could we do this while we drive? Why would we expect perfection from a manufacturer or someone else when we do the most dangerous things ourselves? Just wondering where our brains are here.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM

I'm am totally not a safety-nut. I think Ralph Nader should be taken out and shot for what he has done, and I will be first in-line to **** on his grave.
That said, texting/emailing when driving is an epidemic and the most dangerous thing to happen on our roads. I would much rather have drunk-driving legalized that allowing texting to go on. At least drunks are looking at the road.
Pay attention now when the traffic light turns green (your direction or cross-traffic). You will see cars sit there well after they should have gone. Just a few years ago, everyone would dart forward, sans the occasional lady putting on lipstick, as soon as it lit green. So much so, it was typical that most people would go, then stop because the traffic in front was a little slower.
Now you will see people totally miss a green arrow, or people honking to get others to look up. I'm in San Diego, where no one honks. I mean that, we don't honk down here, unless something is very out-of-sorts. Now I hear honking all the time for texters holding up traffic.
There will be deaths. There are deaths, now. The mfgs are always sued for these things, even though they are providing fantastically-good equipment that is more than capable. Yes, there will be the very rare brake failure, but as Mel points out, if people had some margin, this would not lead to a wreck, just a scare.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txav8r
Are you guys aware that GM just recalled some 1.3 million compact cars for power brake failure...this is not brake failure, just a loss of the power brake boost. This is the second post I have read of one of the trucks. That said, I don't understand the attacks on a manufacturer because a component fails. Anything electrical, mechanical, or even structural can and may fail on any manufactured product produced in any country. And certainly the liability may lay with the manufacturer or the manufacturer of the component. But to say you don't trust something after they repair it??? Or to expect someone to give you your money back??? No one wants to have to deal with a problem on any equipment. But it happens. I agree that if an issue is of such a nature it should be reported to the safety industry as well as insisting that it is fixed. But the only vehicle I have heard this happen to other than yours is an old 06 or 07 partial hybrid GM truck a guy bought used with 55,000 miles on it. So this may not be a wide spread issue. I hope they get it fixed and that you can find comfort in that and trust your vehicle. That said, people today drive much too fast and follow much too close. So they are set up for an accident if everything doesn't work perfect anyway. I was in rush hour stop/go traffic yesterday and looked around me. In the cars that were in the 4 lanes within view, including a semi trailer truck, all were actively engaged with their cell phones...and two were either texting, emailing, or surfing as they were looking down and then back up to drive. I saw and heard brake noises several times as I observed this over several minutes. I shook my head as I too use my cell phone and have texted before too. How could we do this while we drive? Why would we expect perfection from a manufacturer or someone else when we do the most dangerous things ourselves? Just wondering where our brains are here.
Sorry, I Am not able to get my point across.This only happens at around 30 MPH, when you go from gas to electric. As far as numbers,my salesman and I, copied 57 different accounts, off the net, with the same problem. This was July 2009. I just wanted to speak to them.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good comment Mel in the Province of Ontario they just passed a law that you cannot use any handheld Phone, GPS etc. It is now a $155.00 fine if you are caught. As far as brake failures in Hybrid I also know only of two and they we 2007, and 2008. In both cases like this one we did not find out what the final fix was that corrected the problem. I am also sure with your laws in the united States that if a dealership completes a repair they must have to stand behind it. I for one would not return a vehicle to the owner unless I knew for sure that the problem was corrected. I do not understand why you would have a brake failure going from EV mode, Hybrid mode, to ICE only? The transition period is very fast, and if we are trying to like the problem to regenerative braking, this is independent to our normal braking system as far as I know. I am NOT SAYING THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE OR HAD A PROBLEM it would just be nioce that when a person atarts a post with the problem they finish it through and let the others know. So that said Unhappy what has been done to correct the problem and have ou had a reoccurance?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM

SPAMMER! A'hole!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by roswell
Hi guys

This little tidbit kind of encompasses everything GM faces now and major challenges going forward. The potential inability to compete in the hybrid game and how it relates to the Volt; the disintegrating dealer network and lack of communication between different arms of GM; and the brain drain as GM sheds staff that probably caused the minor problem of losing brakes in a brand new $50k car.

Thanks for all

the 2 mode has been first in the ballgame and should be just as reliable in the long run. I have driven this vehicle for 15k miles already since new and has been trouble free.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay enough about the brakes, if you are going to be serious on this forum and be taken serious then please post the problem and what has been done to correct it so that we may all beniefit from this issue. Lets just try to help all, including GM that build a great Hybrid vehicle. As far as the Prius great car for its class, however when comparing it to the Volt GM's design team it is like comparing Apollo 11 to the StarShip Enterprise, there just is not a competition. Also the GM two-mode Hybrids are the only Hybrid models available that have this kind of hauling and towing capability as Hybrids Period.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default ,,,im going to scream.....

mods PLEASE LOCK THIS BS POST.

The originator has even said the following:

1. Brakes failed - didn't perform as expected

DIDNT PERFORM AS EXPECTED....????

ok then

I expect my yukon to go 350 knots at 0 ft AGL....

Quick Reply: 2008 Hybrid Brakes Failed Several Times

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands