2009 Chev Tahoe Hybrid Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Chev Tahoe Hybrid Modifications

Hi Fjungman thanks for the fuel octane information.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kklein
I am going to install the Volant Air Box and HID 8000K low Beam headlights tomorrow. I am planning on another long trip on the weekend to see how things work and will keep you posted,
How are your mods working out kklein? I was wondering about the cold air intake. I don't think I would want to change the plugs/wires on a new truck at this point. But I bet the air filter setup is better.

I have HID's in the Prius and they are a big topic on the priuschat website. It appears they are failing at an alarming rate. There are 163 pages of complaints at the NHSBA and tons of posts about them...mine is one of them. Toyota is contributing some but not all to replace them in some instances out of warranty. I just wanted to point out that they don't last as long as the old sealed beam headlights and cost about 20 times as much. The light is nice though.

Also guys, remember when you change to LED's or reduced power consumption lights, you should consider the fuse protecting that circuit will then be too big.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:06 AM

Mel I have an increase of 3MPG with the Volant System, I also installed the cold air intake which I position in the lower part of the hood area about 4" above the airdam on the Tahoe. Not sure how the setup is in the Silerado. i did by an extra HID 8000K kit and keep it in the truck just incase, I also installed a lower amperage fuse for the system. Thanks for the information.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

Good Evening All,
I am completing the following modifications to my Tahoe Hybrid:
1.) Pulstar Plugs
2.) New spark plug leads
3.) Volant Air Box System
4.) HID 8000K headlights Low Beam
I will let all know what performance and MPG increase I see. I am looking (Hoping) for 35HP and 4 MPG.
Kind Regards Ken

Can any of these modifications be applied to a toyota camry hybrid? That is my question...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Hi Phenderson,
Yes these modifications can just take a look at the Pulstar and Volant web sites. HID also makes kits for many models.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 PM

No question that with the modifications I can keep the Tahoe in the 26-28MPG range, when trying to drive with the ECO meter in the center.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hey KKlein,
Interesting info... I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Is your Tahoe 2WD or 4WD?
I'd like to see what mods you'll do next. I'm strongly considering a Silverado/Sierra Hybrid next spring.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:15 AM

MMHO6 good morning I have a 4WD Tahoe Hybrid, not sure at this point what my next modifications might be. For sure i will post them.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mel I have an increase of 3MPG with the Volant System, I also installed the cold air intake which I position in the lower part of the hood area about 4" above the airdam on the Tahoe. Not sure how the setup is in the Silerado. i did by an extra HID 8000K kit and keep it in the truck just incase, I also installed a lower amperage fuse for the system. Thanks for the information.
KK,

Just curious how you validated the 3 mpg increase just from a new airbox. That's a 15% increase, which is huge. Bottom line is all new car air induction systems are pretty well optimized for minimal pressure losses, and the Tahoe's got a huge airbox, good diameter zip tube, not many turns into the throttle plate. So I'm somewhat skeptical it can be improved on that much.

Over the years, I've seen enough ads for 'magic' plugs and 'turbolator' intake systems that promise amazing mpg increases and most of them have minimal effect at best, and at worst are actually harmful to your car. Examples: Split-Fire plugs cause detonation in some cars, and ruin pistons. K&N air systems have lower losses with their permanent filter element intakes, but at the cost of letting more particulate into your motor, and if you overcoat the filter element with oil you can gum up your MAF sensor.

Maybe the products you've described truly work, but I have healthy skepticism for such claims. So I stick with stock airboxes, and OEM spark plugs. Maybe I'm missing out on a few % of efficiency, but in the long run I doubt it.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Hi KC135R,
I validated the increase using the DIC and filling up the tank and manually completing the calculations as well. The Volant air box has a polished inside surface. The Power Core Filter has the capability of trapping smaller particles, and to me appears to be a much better filter system. The intake tube is smooth with only the one turn and the workmanship is excellent. I feel it also protects the engine better than the stock filter that has been in use for several years. Yes at one point I did believe that the manufacture optimized everything, however I remember many years ago racing quarter mile and improving the performance of stock engines. I have many friends in the automotive industry and every manufacture will more the manufacturing of a tier 2 or 3 component just for cents. The Pulstar plugs I feel work because the plugs I removed from the Tahoe were designed 20 years ago and with my knowledge of both the piston and turbine world I feel that a lot of gas is lost and not burned properly and evenly in the stock engine. I have also heard bad things about the Pulstar plugs like sort life etc. I thought I would give both a chance and I am happy I did. As far as a Spark Plug causing detionation or any piston damage this is incorrect, it is the fuel air mixture that causes this by valve timing etc. The plug only creates the fire to ignite the fuel air mixture. The modifications for me worked under the ideal economic operating conditions. Both Volant and Pulstar have completed several tests. It just like if someone in the automotive industry would match the fuel injector to its specific cylinder the performance and MPG increase as well as the increase in the life of the engine would be amazing.

Quick Reply: 2009 Chev Tahoe Hybrid Modifications

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands