3500KM Armstrong Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 3500KM Armstrong Trip

Well the Tahoe Hybrid has done a great job here. The only problem has been the original manufacture tires. It will be -41F tonight 200KM north of Armstrong Ontario, The Citation X will rebase in Iquilit, Frob Bay. Tahoe hybrid in cold soak no problem, 20M Ciation X needs a warm hanger. Tomorrow i fly instead of drive

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default re tires

I just switched out to these and really like them so far

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-1-week-23552/

Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Default Re: 3500KM Armstrong Trip

While you are out make a little trip West over Kapuskasing and see what's going on at the test facility across the road from the airport.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi Marty,
yes I know the Airport in the Kap, I am in Artic Bay today and I will get over there on Friday and see what is going on. The Tahoe hybrid works great in the cold. No problems. Just the tires which Jet 1 has given me some recommondations on.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

what tires were standard on the tahoe? My silverado came with the Bridgestone Dualer H/T on an 18" wheel. I have had them in incliment conditions including icy/snowy road surfaces but not on black ice as of yet. Also, not in any depth at all. Certain they aren't like the heavier lugged Michelin's I had on the Z-71. How ya doing Ken? Man, I always worried about a divert into FroBay or Goose in the winter!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drove through an ice storm last weekend. Never seen precipitation come down as ice pellets like that before. Much worse than snow to drive in. The highway sign warned "EXTREMELY SLIPPERY CONDITIONS". The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 kept me on the road and I was sure glad I bought them.

Now we are having record setting warm temperatures with lots of rain - not good for the Olympics which start one month today - the local mountains have lost a lot of snow just in the past couple of days.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canuck
not good for the Olympics which start one month today - the local mountains have lost a lot of snow just in the past couple of days.
Do they have snow making equipment up there to get ready if it gets melted? Guess the temperature is going to be the key...hope for snow in Vancouver!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, they have snow making equipment but it's hard to make snow when the weather is above freezing. The only good thing is that we had a lot of snow in November/December so they stockpiled it at higher elevations and they will bring it down just before the games start. I watched on the news last night the heavy equipment used to move the snow and the stockpile. Fortunately, they planned very well for the worse.

But when you first watch people in Haiti dig people out of rubble with their hands, then the news turns to the Olympics and mountains here and show a lot of heavy equipment moving snow for the Olympic games, you can't help but think of the disparity of wealth in this world. We are certainly lucky to be so fortunate that our concerns are the amount of snow on the mountains.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

With all the upheaval, poverty, terrorism, and a fragile planet, you do have to appreciate all that you have. Today, stop and look at something our moment in this life gives us and appreciate that you have the experience. Then send your thoughts, prayers, and maybe a contribution to those less fortunate. That was unbelievable destruction in such an already poverty stricken country.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Hi Mel,
Lot of flying in the last week, doing okay. Canuck thanks for the update on the Blizzacks. Yes, the people in Haiti sure have it hard, how lucky we are. It is nice to see so many countries sending support. My wife had tears in her eyes over the little girl trapped on CNN. I think the world was heart sickened by this, what a tragety. My thoughts and prayers are with them.