battery overheats on short trips? Where is the Heat Exhaust location??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default battery overheats on short trips? Where is the Heat Exhaust location??

why does the battery over heat on short trips i.e 10-15 miles. mostly with A/C on medium ( positive pressure ) yes it was happening more often with AFM

it has only happened once with the AFM disabler chip no stall out yet though....

I did a 165 miles trip and it did not overheat..( positive pressure ). on medium setting for the A/C.. it was much hotter outside too (like 85F) the battery housing was luke warm at best ...

Does any one know where the Heat Exhaust location? of the hybrid battery is at? I think it might be clogged with dirt/dust... I know where the intake is at.. but not the exhaust...... I did take off the flap and let it exhaust into the cabin which is cooled by the A/C... when i did get the code for it "overheating".

there is so much more air flow with the flap off at lest twice as much...... so more then likely it has a restriction in the system i.e clogged with dirt somewhere( on the exhaust side passed the plastic deflector )

P0C32

i'm sure the sensors are reading correct as the battery housing is hot to the touch

i know the exhaust location is somewhere on the rear passenger side though... i'm not sure where it exits though.

the Pressure in the exhaust is high enough to make a whistling sound at the plastic bend so warm air is entering the cabin... this indicates a restriction passed that point ...

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 05-09-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: battery overheats on short trips? Where is the Heat Exhaust location??

I haven't been having cooling issues but I just recently had a free afternoon and removed the trim covering the battery under the seat and vacuumed out a huge amount of dust and hair that had accumulated underneath and around the fan housing. If you haven't already done that I suggest you do, it didn't look super complicated to completely remove the battery if you want to remove the fan and test/clean that as well.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:13 AM
Default Re: battery overheats on short trips? Where is the Heat Exhaust location??

i think the exhaust is clogged the intake is ok but i'll try with a vacuum the fan.... i think the issue is right at the exhaust trap(where it exits the SUV) with the Cover off it has like 50% more air flow so it does have a restriction on the exhaust port..

maybe the flapper is sticking

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 05-17-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
i think the exhaust is clogged the intake is ok but i'll try with a vacuum the fan.... i think the issue is right at the exhaust trap(where it exits the SUV) with the Cover off it has like 50% more air flow so it does have a restriction on the exhaust port..

maybe the flapper is sticking
I just purchased a 2009 Tahoe and have a lot to learn! No problems yet with the acceptation of occasional klunk switching from electric to gas. Ok and the driver seat buzzing like it is filling with air. Ha!

Old 11-08-2021, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fearnow
I just purchased a 2009 Tahoe and have a lot to learn! No problems yet with the acceptation of occasional klunk switching from electric to gas. Ok and the driver seat buzzing like it is filling with air. Ha!
I read that replacing the aluminum wires with copper will help keep the batteries cooler?

Old 11-08-2021, 08:04 PM

i would not do that lol if not upgrade to pure silver wires 110% carrying capacity of copper.....super conductor (i would gold plate the lugs though as gold does not tarnish like silver would)

i was dealing with stallouts EVEN stalled in M4 :O

i ended up cleaning the terminals Really good I mean REALLY good this fixed the stallout but created another issue

then i could not figure out way it was pegged at 14.7 volts (it's variable voltage regulation )

turn out the battery had a CCA of ??? 3yo AGM it topped out at 12.32v and took a charge of 2.3 amps over an hour(never take the 5 min walmart test)

that bump jerk can be fixed for free or at lest minimized to near 0 by unplugging the transmission pump in and out several times
the people that did it , just did it once or twice every they were under the hood tell they got a satisfactory result

i'm pretty close to getting a satisfactory result maybe 5-10 more from now (unless you go in for a manual messy cleaning) but will need new electrical grease
this will clear/wear off the derbies or corrosion ...

it's the one next to the AUX box purple , yellow blue red

i think the red wire is the ground wire since it's bigger then the other 3

don't forget to disconnect the battery or may damage expensive parts (100% disconnection when cleaning the battery cables to prevent shorts)

I bought a new old stock 2008 to 2013 AUX pump for 240$+core part 19207983
came out to 281$ (the next cheapest was 430$ lol) they still got it for 240$ it's a total STEAL for a part most everyone will need at somepoint

(has the full GM warranty as it was an authorized dealer/seller) a few months ago just in case (worried about the price spike) that was the apsolute cheapest one i could get brand new

the transmission shop wanted 700$ to put it in and change the oil it will take them more time to put it on the rack then to change that part three bolts,snap on and a connector and it's off the rig even so it would be 1 hour at the max... this is 2WD so the transfer case is ok

( i would do it my self but it would cause issue with oil leakage into the environment as a possibility )

what a scam ontop of the cost of filters(it has 2) 11 qt fluid that is like 100$ and
a pan gasket

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 11-08-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! Having a really hard time finding a manual for Tahoe hybrid. 4 dealers and no help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by fearnow
Thanks for the info! Having a really hard time finding a manual for Tahoe hybrid. 4 dealers and no help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
i have the original hybrid manual
(not my listing) as i'm keeping mine

it's 18$
2009 TAHOE YUKON HYBRID 2MODE MANUAL guide 09 TWO-MODE hybrid | eBay

Old 11-10-2021, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

I have the HV owners manual. Looking for a service work shop manual that is hybrid specific. Talked to dealer today and not looking good.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:56 PM

This has the hybrid information inlcuding fuel system 2mode trasmssion, power system, etc...
2009 CHEVY SILVERADO GMC SIERRA DENALI TRUCK SHOP MANUAL SERVICE REPAIR BOOKS | eBay

looks like it mentions hybrid on it

digital version
Chevy & GMC Suburban Tahoe Yukon Escalade 2010 - 14 w/Hybrid Service Manual | eBay

here is some good useful information on the transmission
GM's 2ML70 Hybrid Two-Mode Transmission - Transmission Digest

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 11-13-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: battery overheats on short trips? Where is the Heat Exhaust location??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands