Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

With 5,000KM on the standard vehicle I averaged 22.1 MPG this was trying to drive for maxmium efficency keeping the ECO meter in the middle of the green while driving and braking, also trying to decelerate as much as possible without braking. Most trips were long in excess of 600KM. After completing the modifications and traveling 15,000KM the averaged MPG from day one is 26.97 MPG. I have data from every trip including the very few short ones, both from the DIC and calculated. I have the conditions due to limited traffic in the North to drive this way. However there is data in here from the Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa areas. What I cannot account for is when I am in stop and go traffic in Toronto and every other non Hybrid is burring gas when the Tahoe is in Auto-Stop. There is a fuel savings here that would increase the MPG for us and decrease the MPG for others. A thought maybe as much as 3-4MPG???? Just a guess. In LA there maybe a bigger differance.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

Thanks for keeping track of the data kklein. Yes, it is hard to compare your driving conditions to anyone elses. But the results will be similar for similar conditions. It looks to me like 19.5 is about the best average I could expect. And at that, I can't get it because I have too many times I have to rush out the door and just get there. Not the way to live your life or drive a vehicle...but that is why they make horsepower and good brakes, it is just not efficient. So my average recently is probably down around 18.5 as a guess. Still not bad for a big pickup truck. I wish I could get that with the bed cover off. I like the cover but prevents me from picking up a load of this or that sometimes.

You mention the mileage gain you make from just autostop. It is a remarkable savings for something so simple. I read yesterday that all vehicles manufacturers may be having the engines shut off when stopped. I wonder what new technology will get the systems to continue without adding the hybrid technology. I suspect even mild hybrid technology will be added to most vehicles in the near future, if they don't have some other alternative fuel propulsion.

I think I see better mileage in stop/go traffic in the middle of town than I do on the highway in my truck. If I lived in town, I think getting 19.5 or better would be routine. Could our other couple of guys with trucks watch their mileage and keep track? Also, need to know if it is urban or rural. I really like this truck and the way the systems work together.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are 12V autostop systems coming (micro hybrid), and GM announced the BAS-Plus system (lithium ion battery, larger motor-generator) at the Geneva Auto Show in Mar 2008.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120457521368908461.html

And you are correct about autostop, kklein. The regular Malibu city mileage is 22 mpg, the BAS version is 27. Most of that gain is due to autostop. Maybe 1 mpg due to regen and torque boost. There is some torque boost with the BAS system, which is why the highway mileage also goes up by about 1 mpg.

To meet the more stringent mileage rules required by 2015, all cars are going to have at least 12V start-stop in the not-to-distant future.

Last edited by KC135R; 01-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Yes i agree the Auto-Stop is a great idea. If our governments want to help the environment this would be an easy way to start. Just like regulations in Aviation, this would be for the good of all.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

my 09 escalade hybrid 4wd is getting 19 city and 20 highway. but this is in premium gas. will changing to 2wd improve the mileage? my diff is set at auto this time of year. will try to see if the 2wd mode helps.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it gets less mpg's when in 4WD.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

evois, leave it in 2 Hi if you can for best mileage. But if you live in cold climes, and you think you might hit bad conditions, of course leave it in Auto. 19/20 in auto is pretty decent.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

Mel, I'm getting 18.5 to 19.5 as well in my Silverado. Like you, we're talking about driving style mainly. I do live in the middle of town, so mostly short runs. I've definitely noticed a drop as well since the weather turned... the engine doesn't want to go into EV mode when it's cold.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

No bulrey, if it is cold, it takes longer to get it warm. But I really am impressed with what I have. I have more available horsepower, more available torque, when I need it. Yet, I can drive around and get almost 20 mpg in a heavy pickup truck. Really a remarkable achievement and expect that I will regret buying this one when the same truck has a 10000 pound towing capacity and an Lith ion battery next year. But I love the truck anyway. I really am liking the bed cover. I use it like a truck...A VERY BIG TRUNK!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM

KC135R,
Do you think the Tahoe and Silverado Hybrids will see a battery upgrade or will that just simply come in a new mode year?

Quick Reply: Chey 2009 Tahoe Hybrid Modifications Update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands