compatible ecm

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: compatible ecm

Originally Posted by dnt1010
It would be easy to contaminate a trace amount of PAG oil into the system even using a set of gauges that have been used on a PAG system. Hard to say what the threshold limit is for too much PAG? maybe a trace maybe a few ounces? Maybe not hurt it at all? Who wants to give it a try? (NOT ME)
Loads of people on the internet that are knowledgeable about GM's ECM numbering system. I have heard that the Programming is key, if the ECM plugs up it will work if the PROM is done correctly? https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/307238/

well as far as the A/c unit goes. I bought a regular Ole A/c can style of r134a that said it didn't contain any stop leak or oil... the steering works once put in. the ecm I refreshed with my laptop and a maxiflash module.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Now that is a real mystery on how the AC system being discharged could affect the Electric Power steering. When it came time to recharge mine I found it hard to judge the amount of refrigerant needed so I went ahead and recovered what was in there / vacuumed and weighed in a full charge per the specification. Now I wish that I had tried the power steering while it was discharged even though it makes no sense whatsoever LOL. Anyway the AC works good as new now and sounds like yours does too. Hopefully everything on your vehicle will work just like new once you work out some of these pesky minor issues. Good Luck man. NOTE: Need more info on that replacement engine!!!! I am about ready for one....

Old 10-28-2022, 03:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Now that is a real mystery on how the AC system being discharged could affect the Electric Power steering. When it came time to recharge mine I found it hard to judge the amount of refrigerant needed so I went ahead and recovered what was in there / vacuumed and weighed in a full charge per the specification. Now I wish that I had tried the power steering while it was discharged even though it makes no sense whatsoever LOL. Anyway the AC works good as new now and sounds like yours does too. Hopefully everything on your vehicle will work just like new once you work out some of these pesky minor issues. Good Luck man. NOTE: Need more info on that replacement engine!!!! I am about ready for one....

I got the motor from a junkyard. 180k for 500. thinking the issues im having are linked to the AFM because this engine did have the lifter tap... so parts will be here today,. ill update everyone once the replacement motor is back in and running. (hopefully) IF I never sign back on again the truck won and I have jumped lol jk

Old 10-28-2022, 07:04 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

oh man, I didn't think about running rough being the afm lifters stuck. that does sound like some of the stuff I read about afm when researching it. if you deleted it by blocking the oil supply but not tuning it off in the ecm side, it ran really rough when the ecm was in v4 mode but the lifters weren't off and a guy made some resistors to trick the ecm so you could drive it to a tuner to have it tuned off.

don't jump man.. it's super interesting to follow along even though I'm sure it's not from your side but it seems no one gets as deep into these trucks as you are now. what all parts did you end up getting to fix it?

Old 10-28-2022, 07:17 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

I agree the ac and ps being linked is kinda weird, since the ac is 300volts and the ps is 42v. both get power straight from the under hood converter. maybe his ac was locked up, so it just shut down system when it sees the high load before burning anything up. still weird you'd loose ps thou.

as for the engine, from all my research it's just an aluminum block 6.0 ls with a different cam and oil pump. if you're afm hasn't damaged your cam yet, in theory you could find any good used 6.0, swap your cam. best to replace the afm lifters, they say don't use the cheap ones, only oem or Federal-Mogul brand, order the specific veritable displacement oil pump. it should fit any engine, I've seen them used on the corvette boards for ls3's for the hp savings. I'd probably do the vlom too just to be safe if you were going to leave the afm active. if you didn't care about the v4 mode, just reuse your cam and lifters, and the standard oil pump would be fine with the afm oil supply plug.

everything else should be the same, except now that I think about it. ours might have a higher compression because of the oddball valve timing cam, sometimes they run a higher comp with the late valve closing to try and get some tq back. hmm. maybe I'll research that.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:18 PM

Man I hope my local "Cooters Garage" can handle rebuilding this crazy oddball engine. How much you figure he will want to do it?

Old 11-17-2022, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ???
I agree the ac and ps being linked is kinda weird, since the ac is 300volts and the ps is 42v. both get power straight from the under hood converter. maybe his ac was locked up, so it just shut down system when it sees the high load before burning anything up. still weird you'd loose ps thou.

the power steering runs off the 12v line which is up converted to 42volts Check the fuse...

Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
the power steering runs off the 12v line which is up converted to 42volts Check the fuse...
​​​​​​
he said he replaced the ac compressor and it all works.