Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Gauge/warning/ first tank overall consumption

THanks Marty for your informative reply

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Marty,
To go back to an issue I posted 1/2 year ago, what did the fuel gauge indicate during your final two gallons? My expectations are when the needle is on "E", there is about two usable gallons remaining. On my Tahoe, it is about 1/8 tank with two usable remaining and "E" means "Empty, pull over and put your flashers on". I've run out three times, two of which I dead-sticked it to a pump and one I waited for OnStar to deliver the fuel.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

On my final 2 gallons it was hard "E". But I was on a very flat 50 mph road.

I get the first warning just a tiny needle width before "E". When I ran out on purpose I was on "E" for 25 miles. I get to "E" just before the DIC refuses to provide any more estimates on range.

There is a very long filter on the gage. I have heard of some heavy towing episodes on up hill grades running out just seconds after the low fuel warning.

So I fill to 3 clicks of the pump handle minimum and usually another 1/2 gallon. Then I re-set and watch the DIC for total gallons used. I have on several occasions pumped in 24.5 gallons. One of those was in the boonies in Montana. DIC said 24.6 and 24.1 used. I trust it to about 5% or 1 gallon.

I know that the instrument cluster gets its information from a serial data wire. Maybe it it Tech 2 adjustable.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've just done a long trip from my home in Athens to the very North of Greece. A mixture of regular roads, and highway, a bit of urban, and some very steep hill climbs into the mountains. A fair bit of driving in snow and ice in 4WD. I used the remote start once after the truck was left standing for three days and covered by about 15cm of snow.

The trip was a total of 1495.5km. The DIC says i used 187.82 litres of fuel.

I zeroed everything at the beginning of the journey, and on the first fill up it was within a couple of litres of the amount I needt to top up the tank.

The DIC says I was averaging 12.6lt/100km but on calcuation it comes out to be 12.55lt/100km or 18.75mpg(US) or 22.5mpg(UK). Looks like the DIC rounds up or down to the first decimal point.

On my first day of travel, which didn't involve any mountain climbing, or snow .. and not much high speed driving I managed to get the DIC to show 11.8lt/100km or 19.93mpg(US) or 23.94mpg(UK).

I guess about half of my motorway driving was at about 75mph or 120kph and the rest up to about 90mph or 140kph.

I think I could have done better if my wife hadn't wanted to get back home as quickly as possible and wanted me to put my foot down.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 AM

Rob
thanks for your feedback.
I have 600 km on my new tahoe.
I have been averaging in the city 16.5-17l/100km (14.3mpg) driving very slow economy needel in the middle no hard acceleration.
on the highway I am getting Much better averaging 10.5-11.5l/100km.
Hoping to get better city fuel consumption after breaking it on 3000 km plus.
The above all based on Dic.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

With 600km, you still haven't filled up but once since you picked up the vehicle have you Guss? I hope the second tank if better. But since you are driving so little, maybe you have an evaporation issue! Seriously, use a calculator and check that as well as the DIC. If you have the same mileage after the second tank, I think a trip to the dealer is in order. 14mpg (us) is too low. I think most of us were assuming that anything could have happened on the first tank but if you know the tank was full and drive xx.x miles divided by xx.x gallons used, whatever the mileage is should be in the 20mpg range at least on the Tahoe. Given other variables are not out of reason, it should be above 20. Keep us posted and hope you get to the bottom of this. Did I tell you, I got my best mileage on my last tank and was not even trying anything different. Over 20mpg! And that is on the pickup, not the suv. So you should be getting in the 20's not just 20.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Mel,
I am a bit disapointed in city consumption., too low for a hybrid, most of my driving is in the city, short frequent trips.
on the highway I get easily 21-23 mpg.

hoping to get better city mileage in the near future.
will keep you posted

Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

way too soon to tell Guss if you haven't filled up but the once. But, your right, it is too low. These vehicles will get the same in town as on the road but be easier to do it in town. Especially if you drive 90 mph! You won't get the best driving at those speeds. You will see the ECO needle leaning on the right side of the thick center part or even outside of it most of the time. The best highway mileage will be below 60mph as in any vehicle. Hang in there, you (we and the dealer) will get it figured out!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Guss,
I agree with Mel 14MPG city is to low. Lets see what happens with the second tank. I am not sure that a lot will change during the engine brake in period.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Guss,
I see your in Jordan. Does the gas blend there contain a high portion of additives? You won't be able to get higher mpg out of a low energy blend.

I would recommend a few tanks of gas and watch the average for improvement. Your on this web site so I'll assume that you have looked for the obvious mpg killers like low tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge/warning/ first tank overall consumption

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands