GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

Originally Posted by Cassiegabelman
2011 Yukon Denali hybrid has been getting check engine light off and on. I took it to oreily and put it OBD reader and it gave me some codes. Can anyone help me before I go buy a new battery, the dealer I bought it from says it’s the hybrid battery. How do we know it’s the whole thing and not just a cell or something like that? Can someone please help me?
these are the code and thank you in advance !

P0ac4
p0bbd
u0074
u1818
u1820
p1a1f
p1b31
u189a
The odd assortment of codes suggests strongly that you have a 12V issue and need to replace your 12V battery and/or clean/replace your grounds.

P0BBD is pretty much a hybrid battery death sentence. It's conceivable that a sensing error associated with low 12V could trigger this code, but you won't know until you get the 12V system addressed.

Addressing your bolded question, because that's never been the case with the GM hybrids. When a P0BBD occurs, the battery is shot. Multiple instances of tests have shown widespread damage. The only way to conclusively diagnose an HV battery is to conduct discharge testing.

Instructions for discharge test:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...36/index2.html

In depth pack analysis with testing of all 40 modules:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...ry-pack-31796/

Old 12-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you to everyone that replied to my post, it helped me out alot.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:36 PM

what was the resolution?

Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

I was actually going to hop back on and ask another question. So today replaced the hybrid battery , then took the car to orielly and had them Test the 12v battery , the guy said the battery is good but the alternator is bad??? I thought hybrids didn’t have alternators or at least not the same type a regular car had? Any suggestions as of now the engine light is off as it always had gone off then on but for now it is off fingers crossed.. I just wonder if the 12v had something to do with the hybrid going bad ? Thanks again !

Old 12-27-2019, 11:47 PM

Ignorant guy. No alternator. DC-DC charging system.

Failing 12V can put increased load on the HV battery, but not enough to cause failure unless the HV battery is on its last legs already.

Replaced the hybrid battery with?

Did you do a discharge test?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

check the ground wires I bet they are "bad"

replace them with Copper cables

GM cheap out and used aluminum cables you can see where the broken strains are there is no blue copper corrosion as one would expect ... you will need to use ones with tinned connections ,as aluminum and copper is not compatible and could start a fire ( galvanic corrosion )
i'm not saying it will in a car but it happens in house wires...
it should be charging at 14.8 volts on initial start up, then tapper off to 13.0-13.1volts "float"

even if it says 15volts on the DIC this can only be verified from the OBD2 reader(any of the modules will tell you the voltage) or mutimeter...

​​​​​​​
https://www.pacergroup.net/pacer-new...s-bare-copper/