limited slip upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default limited slip upgrade options?

I've been thinking about putting a limited slip differential in my 2009 Silverado. Has anyone been down this path? I was looking at Auburn's differentials, but I just want something that works.

I use the truck around my property now and then and the one wheel drive is about to drive me nuts

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: limited slip upgrade options?

no help here I have a 2008 yukon 4wd with limited slip and it works great so I would say go for it

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

I'm just hoping there are no odd ball hybrid gotchas. It should be a normal carrier swap in theory.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I am fairly confident..

Originally Posted by xfordguy
I'm just hoping there are no odd ball hybrid gotchas. It should be a normal carrier swap in theory.
that it should be pretty straight forward especially if you use the same diff ratio. if you change the gearing there would probably be computer mapping issues

Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Double check but your vehicle should have come stock with a locking rear diff. The design of the rear locker has been around since the 70s. I used to tear mine up in my 1975 K5 Blazer on a regular basis.
The "fly-weight" spinning governor can be damaged too easily in my opinion. With the 3.08 ratio, make sure they have the right ring gear offset. the pinions on the low ratios are large and the ring gear carrier needs to be spaced over far enough.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
04 prius 350,000km

for the tahoe/yukon hybrids 2WD do they come standard with LSD? i guess 4WD models don't matter right?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Limited slip and locking differentials are quite different devices. Locking differentials will actually lock one axle shaft in unison with the other. Locking mechanisms differ.

The standard locking differential in a GM 2 Mode hybrid will lock once one wheel is spinning faster than the other. NOTE: it will not lock if that speed difference takes place above about 15 mph. It actually has two governor devices inside. The "fly-weight" is the device that has spring loaded weights. As onw wheel spins faster than the other the fly-weight will extend and latch against a second weighted, spring loaded device.

Video on how this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg

A limited slip can come in many different forms. If you are going to tear up the turf on a regular basis a LSD will be more durable. Your standard locker is under warrant for a long time. To test it for function if you have ice and pavement this time of year, put one wheel on ice with the other on pavement. Easy now apply power and let the ice side start to spin. It is a LOCKER so it will come in hard and grab on the pavement.

If it won't lock, look to the video link. The little spinning engagement mechanism has a too small for my comfort set of gear teeth. The small gear engages the larger clutch apply cam gear. I used to tear these teeth up.

You need to remove the differential cover to inspect.

I have found that lots of off road and heavy use of this locking device breaks them too soon. I went to a LSD but it is NOT a locker.

And LSD in a front axle on a 4X4 is a fun experience on Black Ice at 70 mph. I used to only lock one front hub. The new lockers that stay "open" at freeway speed would have been better.

I hope this helps explain.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hillbilly_Hybrid, Would you recommend changing out the differential fluid a little more often due to the higher technology installed in the newer vehicles ?

I'm talking/asking for the guys that may not like to due it till they hit closer to the 100k mile marker, Thanks.

Last edited by Fun Times; 12-11-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

GM uses synthetic, and even myself wants to change the differential fluids but it is there until 100k miles.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Fun times: the only reason to change sooner than what the service interval in the owner's manual is if you tow real heavy lots, or submerge it and let it sit in the creek for a while.

The full synthetic from the factory is good for yhw 100k plus in normal use.

Quick Reply: limited slip upgrade options?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands