mileage upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default mileage upgrades

is there any mileage or performance upgrades out there in the aftermarket for the tahoe hybrids???? just got mine & it seems that the ice v8 kicks in too quickly. is it possible to have these reprogrammed so that it kicks in later or that it kicks into v4 mode first???

Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mileage upgrades

cars2,

It depends on what you think is too quickly. This may just be an issue of retraining yourself use the features of the system to drive more efficiently. I drove a Prius for 4 years before I got my Tahoe, and many of the same ways of driving apply to the Tahoe.

Until the engine warms up, it will run v8 a lot. When ever you 'ask' for power by pressing the accelerator, it will kick off in v8. This is normal operation - you are driving a heavy truck and there has to be a balance between fuel economy and performance.

I find that a 'feathering' technique of easing off the gas once you come to speed will cause it to drop to v4 after the engine has come up to operating temperature. (You can be drastic with this by letting completely off the gas, then gently re-apply pressure.) Once in v4, you can still make minor adjustments to speed without going back into v8.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Chevy Man

It sounds like what you are experiencing is "Normal Operation" for this vehicle. There are no software updates from GM for what you are describing.

I would not recommend trying aftermarket programming if it were available as it is easy for the delaer/GM to determine what software version is in there and if it is not correct and was not done by a dealer you will be up the creek if you have an issue. Over the last few years GM has become very diligent about making sure their reps stick with the warranty policies and procedures and is almost impossible for them to turn their head. With a new vehicle like this one the GM service and parts operations closely monitors warranty claims.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: mileage upgrades

I ran a 275 mile trip with a lot of grades on two lane today. Two passengers and a dog. No luggage. Less than a 1000 miles on my odometer. Was taking it easy on the way out and got 25.5mpg according to the trip and 24.2 on the way back - I needed to be back and drove a little harder. Overtook a couple of slowpokes and when all 8 pistons kick in...nice!

Noticed that where my TCH used to run on electric, in the Tahoe I was running on gas.

However, overall, I am very happy to get that kind of mileage.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

have not been on a road trip with ours yet. just been wife's grocery getter/school bus. but only see 17-18.0 mpg. i wonder if gm has reprogrammed the 2009 different then the 2008???

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast

I've consistently recorded 23.5 no matter what the city/hwy mix of driving on my 2008 with 6000 miles. Recently it dropped to 20 because I have had it in full-time 4wd due to the snow. I am at 8000 ft though and it also has been cold. I heard that temperature has a HUGE effect on reported EPA milage of Hybrids. The EPA website has studies on this...I don't remember the actual discrepancy but seem to remember up to 40% in some instances.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Chevy Man

I'm jealous of all you "Little Old Lady" drivers getting over 20mpg

The best I Have been able to do is 19 MPG with a pretty even split between city and highway. Maybe when I get my new engine I will get better mileage

Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicka
I'm jealous of all you "Little Old Lady" drivers getting over 20mpg

The best I Have been able to do is 19 MPG with a pretty even split between city and highway. Maybe when I get my new engine I will get better mileage
I really think one mileage trick might be to pull away using electric....getting the heft of this vehicle up to 10mph before using gas is probably a big saver. Did I mention that I've told my wife to back off the donuts - looking for a little weight saving!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

There is a couple of things that can be done. One is a hot air intake, taking hot air from the exhaust headers. Another is putting in Pulstar Pulse plugs. I have them in my 2.3 L Fusion and have gained 1.2 MPG so far. I have been using them for 1.5 months now. These are all things that will not affect the hybrid system of the vehicle.