Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation system

I was thinking of buying the update nav disk for my '08 HyHoe. They want something like $125 for the DVD. Does anyone know if it updates any of the firmware on the radio like to add traffic? I can't believe that there was a major hardware upgrade between '08 and '09 to add traffic so I wonder where that functionality was turned on.

I can buy a 5" TomTom unit for under $100 with traffic and lifetime maps and get more functionality than the built in system but I would stay with the Nav if there was traffic. Has anyone else gone the way of a portable system over the built in one?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Navigation system

the traffic is a xm/nav traffic subscription. the update is just a nav upgrade to make changes to the roads as well as better functionality. I have tomtom for my honda pilot as well and like it but they also sell updated nav for $$ and subsciption to traffic updates which is cool since it includes weather but still $.

Last edited by evois; 12-25-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

If not for the Chevy app that zaps addresses to the in dash unit I use Waze on my iPhone. Punching in addresses is a slovenly outdated process.

Either update to 2012+ oem unit with app functionality or use your smartphone. Waze is very handy especially if you're using it in a big city. Aftermarket while it works looks very aftermarket no matter how clean others may say it looks.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I suspect that we are talking $1000 to update to the new head unit. While the traffic function comes through XM, the headunit firmware needs to know it exists and know what to do with it. I was in a newer Suburban last week and on the radio screen there was a tab that said 'traffic'. My unit doesn't have that and it is either a firmware update somehow or a totally different head unit.

Any Chevy people out there that know the answer? Honestly, I'd prefer the integration but not the cost. Given that a 5" TomTom with traffic and lifetime maps is $129 locally, spending that much or more for simply a map update seems silly.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I recall from others that it is as least $1500 plus install for the 2012+ oem unit.

If I had the older one I'd def upgrade because of the much improved looks and functionality. It is not about traffic and maps alone. It is hard drive based navigation for faster performance and no weird disc spinning noises. Weather updates. iPhone ipod integration. Apps integration like the navi address zappage as well as remote lock\unlock to serve as a backup to your key\fob (does this work on 2011?)

Go with the cheapest route that serves your needs. Again I'd seriously just use the free Waze app if you have an android or iOS phone. Social gps. Always updated. Cops. Other distractions.

Last edited by CYKBC; 12-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
aka soulsea

The dvd update disc have a $199 list price, but you can usually find them cheaper on the ebay ... about $150. I'm not sure there was a firmware update tween 08 and 09, but there was a major firmware update in 10, which I believe is included in all the 10+ discs. I think the latest one for the Tahoe is the 2012 version 7.0c, part no. 22880386.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Administrator

I called navdisc if they can give me a free dvd which is true in 2007 models but since I have a 2009, I bought the disc becasue of the error it was giving and the longest route it was giving instead of the shortest. it was making a lot of error and sound as well. the updated the software. then one time it took only an erro reading in the screen, and the dealer replaced my nav/hardware with a new one under gmpp warranty. the graphincs are a lot better and the disc works quietly and faster. did you try updating the software or buying the subscription? the traffic is real time that pops up in your screen and even a pic/icon will show up.