New Owner One Month Summary

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Owner One Month Summary

Well, I've had my new 2010 Tahoe Hyrbrid now for a little over a month and have been keeping track of mileage and have been adjusting my driving patterns slightly to enhance it. So far my average is about 19.5, so I'm very pleased with that. Hopefully when warmer weather finally sticks around, that'll bump up a little bit.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the computer fuel usage has been close to the actual usage, except on a couple tanks where it was over a gallon off. Not sure why because my driving patterns didn't really change.

I've also noticed that when starting off from a stop, I typically get up to about 10-12 MPH before the engine kicks in. That's moving with traffic. I can move a little slower and get up to 25 no problem, but not sure that anyone would want to be behind me. I'd like it if I could get up to around 20 or so on battery. I think that would help a little more with mileage.

Overall I've been very happy with the truck. The ride is really nice and driving it is really smooth.

I'd like to thank everyone that posts to this forum. It was a great help in helping me make my decision to purchase with all the information that's out there.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I had the same experience...

I did a manual vs computer compairo on my 2008 Yukon and found that the on-board system was amazingly accurate. I still really like mine after 2 years!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Default Re: New Owner One Month Summary

after driving the regular escalade short and long base as loaners, I like the smoothness that the hybrid provides and it is quiet even during hard acceleration. the fuel mileage is a plus, esp at this time of close to $4 per gallon.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Close to $4 per gallon? Close to which side of $4? I paid $4.30 the other day...
Good to have a hybrid. Now time to get a Volt to go with it, so I can power it from the solar panels on the roof of my house. No gas, and no electric bill. Free power, baby! (as long as I don't go more than ~40 miles per charge)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

I tried my local dealers, I haven't seen a volt in town yet.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jheyen

I've also noticed that when starting off from a stop, I typically get up to about 10-12 MPH before the engine kicks in. That's moving with traffic. I can move a little slower and get up to 25 no problem, but not sure that anyone would want to be behind me. I'd like it if I could get up to around 20 or so on battery. I think that would help a little more with mileage.
That's my experience too - seems there is a shift point or transmission transition at just about 10-12 MPH (does this transmission actually shift?). It would be nice if the electronics where smart enough to not believe this is additional demand and thus not kick the engine on. I find myself backing way off the accelerator (OK - from 5% depressed to 1% depressed) at about this speed to get through that transition without kicking on the engine. And yes - I only do that if no one is behind me.

Watching the DIC, I've come to believe that most of my gas is used when accelerating from stop to cruising speed and wonder if the truck had enough electric power stored to get you from zero to 45 on battery alone during my trips, if I wouldn't be pushing 30+ MPG all of the time.

Next gen is supposed to have Li-ion batteries, less weight and much more powerful electric motors. I'd love to see a design which included both EV batteries and the regular traction battery, believing this technology has quite a bit more to give us.