Oil pressure loss randomly then it comes back. Cant find the cause

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oil pressure loss randomly then it comes back. Cant find the cause

Hi. New here. So I’ve had this 2010 silverado hydrid truck for 5 yrs now. What a doggy truck for having a 6.0. Anyways reason for this post is ever since I’ve owned this truck it randomly loses oil pressure. Usually within a thousand miles of oil change. Sometimes sooner. It’s not the sensor or screen which have been changed 4 times in 5 yrs Changed oil pump ,not it. I now ignore the buzzer for it snd pressure dill eventually come back. Or I’ll change oil filter with new one and get down the road but 4 filters for 1 oil change is ridicules!! I’m done wasting tons of cash on shops to swap parts out that have been proven to not be the issue. Any one else have this issue and figure it out?? I’m about ready to take this hybrid junk truck to the boneyard because it’s driving me nuts any help is appreciated.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil pressure loss randomly then it comes back. Cant find the cause

Sounds like a wiring issue. Have you pulled codes when the oil pressure is lost to see if the sensor is detected as being bad?

Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

This might be a real stupid comment, but you do know that whenever it goes into battery mode, there is no oil pressure, right? Check the tach and see if there is an auto stop that the needle goes to when you lose oil pressure.

They only reason why that probably is NOT the issue here is because you say you get a warning when it drops.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just had a similar issue on my 09 Hybrid. Ended up being the oil pump pickup O-ring being hard and allowing the pump to suck air. Got to be consistent so put almost 2 quarts of extra oil in the engine so the pickup connection area was covered, problem went away instantly. You cannot run the engine around that way, overfilling causes many other issues however is a check for this common issue on the LS engine vehicles.
$6 O-ring but a XXXX job to change on a 4 wd hybrid since it has electric steering which means you have to remove front differential instead of just lowering it.