Sierra Hybrid Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Sierra Hybrid Weirdness

Friday, I started my truck and it returned a "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" message on the DIC. At the time, a look at the tire pressures on the DIC indicated no reading (a dash by all four tire readings). This issue disappeared on restart.

Saturday, upon starting, the DIC displayed a "Service Power Steering System" message, then the engine died (NOT auto stop - the tach fell to the zero peg). This issue continued on subsequent restarts.

Acting upon the suspicion that a weak 12V battery might be making for misbehaving modules, I replaced the 12V battery. Another start attempt yielded the same results, with the engine failing to stay in operation.

I tried another restart with the hood open(which will cause the ICE to run continuously), but it would not stay running.

Anyone ever experienced a similar set of conditions?

Last edited by Jimtoonz; 12-08-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sierra Hybrid Weirdness

What is the outside temperature when this is going on? Also, if it quits there should be codes to read.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
What is the outside temperature when this is going on? Also, if it quits there should be codes to read.
Hillbilly - thanks for responding. I now know the cause of the issue. I had parked the truck on a slope, nose pointing down, and the fuel was at a low level(although the "low fuel" light was not yet on). Apparently the slope was enough that the fuel pickup was "dry". Poured 3 gallons of gas in it and it started right up, no problems, check engine light has cleared.

Apparently, the computer, if it can't "find" a running ICE, decides the world is ending, and displays all kinds of messages.

The TPMS error on the previous day remains a mystery, although it hasn't happened again.

Lesson learned: 1. Don't run low of gas. 2. Don't make emotional diagnostic decisions. The rule is "horses before zebras". If I had thought that way to begin with, I would have saved purchasing a 12V battery.

Thanks again!

-J

Last edited by Jimtoonz; 12-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Administrator

this is true! in an incline with the front up my fuel tank reading will be higher and shows almost empty with the front down.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 AM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

I agree, ive run this truck out of gas and all sorts of odd things occur!

Regarding tire pressure system, for some reason, mine is wired wrong. When it says LF tire, its actually reading RR tire. And so on. Anyone else have that issue ?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Administrator

there is a technique to adjust the tpms.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The one I just did yesterday after a rotate was to key to Run and then hold down the lock and un-lock buttons on the remote key fob. The horn goes and DIC says something about learning active. When you do not have the service tool $$$, you are supposed to be able to let air out until the horn goes indicating it has it learned. Then move to next tire.

You start with left front letting air out until horn. Then Right front, then right rear and left rear last.

The tool works better but I have done it manually.